The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Warrior078
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Economics, Physics and History. The guide says a good combo is Maths, Economics, Further Maths, an essay subject and a science. I have got Maths and Economics, Physics for a science and History for an essay subject so am I at jeopardy from studying at a good uni like Birmingham or Nottingham since I didn't pick Further Maths?

In my opinion - with theses subjects and with solid grades -you have good chance in any top unis.
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Economics, Physics and History. The guide says a good combo is Maths, Economics, Further Maths, an essay subject and a science. I have got Maths and Economics, Physics for a science and History for an essay subject so am I at jeopardy from studying at a good uni like Birmingham or Nottingham since I didn't pick Further Maths?

Birmingham/Nottingham? Definitely not.

Cambridge/LSE/Warwick? Perhaps.
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Birmingham/Nottingham? Definitely not.

Cambridge/LSE/Warwick? Perhaps.

That's cool, I don't plan on applying to a top 5 uni unless I do really good at AS and even then I'll only apply to one of them.
That's cool, I don't plan on applying to a top 5 uni unless I do really good at AS and even then I'll only apply to one of them.

If you get 4 A's at AS you should apply to (I'd say..) Oxford & Warwick. Those are really strong subjects.
If you get 4 A's at AS you should apply to (I'd say..) Oxford & Warwick. Those are really strong subjects.

That's cool, thanks
how would you rate liverpool for economics?
and what about the economics + maths degree at newcastle? Thoughts?
Hi colleagues!

I read several topics here and all the preferable choices were in England. What about the Scottish universities, especially for Finance courses?

Could you make me top 5?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply 767
Original post by El Commandante
how would you rate liverpool for economics?
and what about the economics + maths degree at newcastle? Thoughts?

I would rate it, where the TAELT 2011 rates it.
I like the look of the Newcastle course, but it would still only rate at the same level as straight economics at Newcastle, that being a BA course so I would say it rates highly as you have quantitative work with the BA.
Original post by mintmocha
Hello
I'm having a bit of trouble selecting universities. I want to do a BSc in Economics.
I have 6 A*s and 2 As at GCSEs. Plus Economics (A*) and Accounting A at A-level. This year, I'm doing Business Studies and Math at A-Level.
The problem is that my school doesn't offer many A-Levels and I'm absolutely terrified that universities will look at my A-level subjects as a basis of rejection.
I was thinking of applying to Nottingham but I suppose with their 8A* requirement, I'll strike that off.
So far, the universities on my list are Edinburgh (Could you please explain what the MA is-will I get a BSc qualification?), Bristol, Bath and thinking either York, Birmingham or Southampton. Are these good and realistic options for me? Could someone propose a combination?
I'm just really stressed out.

They don't really have an 8 A* requirement, I think you should apply if you can drop Business Studies and self study Further Math or a science. Definitely have your reference mention that your school doesn't offer many A Levels. The Scottish MA is equivalent to the three year bachelors degree in england. If I were you I'd drop business studies definitely and do physics/further math.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 769
GCSE: 4A*'s, 5A's, 2B's
A level: A* maths, A* economics, A chemistry, a as further maths and b in as ICT

What uni's should I be aiming for?
Reply 770
Original post by YingYang
GCSE: 4A*'s, 5A's, 2B's
A level: A* maths, A* economics, A chemistry, a as further maths and b in as ICT

What uni's should I be aiming for?

UWE
Reply 771
hey guys, I haven't applied yet... lol!
I'm international student btw.
I'm going to apply
UCL
Nottingham
Durham
York
Exeter/Bristol/ I dont know...

UCL is hard but worth taking a shot. (a bit above my level)
Durham is fair. (My level)
Nottingham and York are very likely to get in (below... wait, I feel ignorant to say below my level so I won't say it. I just know that I am very likely to get in)

For my undecided choice, I want to choose an uni that is a bit reach.
Any suggestion of an uni thats a bit above my level like UCL? It cant be Warwick,LSE,Oxbridge,Bath though...
Edit: Changed my options anyway...

Doing A2 Maths, Economics and Chemistry at the moment, and when by the time I apply in September I would be most of the way through Further Maths with the intention to sit papers in January (I'm going to start revising in the summer).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 773
Okay, I'm nothing compared to some of you clever people. :tongue:
However I'm thinking I might end up applying for Economics when the time comes for applications and stuff.
I was wondering if with the grades below, if I could get into at least a Top 30 Uni?

GCSE's:

A*, 3 A's, 6 B's.

AS Levels (currently taking them so the ones below are rough estimates of what I think I'll get):

History- A
English Literature- A
Maths- C/B
Biology- C (which I'll drop anyway)

Any kind of help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

(oh and of course this is provided I maintain the level of my grades through to A2)
Reply 774
Original post by Nibz93
Okay, I'm nothing compared to some of you clever people. :tongue:
However I'm thinking I might end up applying for Economics when the time comes for applications and stuff.
I was wondering if with the grades below, if I could get into at least a Top 30 Uni?

GCSE's:

A*, 3 A's, 6 B's.

AS Levels (currently taking them so the ones below are rough estimates of what I think I'll get):

History- A
English Literature- A
Maths- C/B
Biology- C (which I'll drop anyway)

Any kind of help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

(oh and of course this is provided I maintain the level of my grades through to A2)

100% Yes. I got no A* at GCSE, obviously it will have affected my chances of top 5 considerably, and if you don't get an A in Maths, maybe top 11-12, but I reckon there are universities in the top 20 you can get into, just make a good personal statement. I would say read a couple of Economics related books and mention it in your personal statement. With those grades you can get predicted AAB, which gets you into many good/very good although not the best Uni's. :smile:

I also didn't do Economics at AS/A level, just illustrate your passion for the subject!
Ok, so struggling here...

GCSE's, 6 A*s, 3 As, B, C

So far, so good?

Took Maths, Economics, History and Biology at AS, and yeah, basically ****ed **** up. Think drug habit (which is getting kicked in year 13) and doing next to no work and excessive drinking and doing ridiculous hours in a part time job. Not advocating any of it, cos I might have messed up my future tbh.

January, somehow managed ABD (A Eco, B Bio, D Maths) but the drug habit only started after, well only became an issue after...

Basically, my AS are going to be poor, maybe BCCD, if I'm lucky. Actually, that's probably being optimistic.

So what do I do? I genuinely think I can turn it around next year, but I need some universities that aren't fussed on resits... And is it worth taking a year out and applying when I have actual results? Just a bit lost atm
Reply 776
Original post by RogueTrombonist
Ok, so struggling here...

GCSE's, 6 A*s, 3 As, B, C

So far, so good?

Took Maths, Economics, History and Biology at AS, and yeah, basically ****ed **** up. Think drug habit (which is getting kicked in year 13) and doing next to no work and excessive drinking and doing ridiculous hours in a part time job. Not advocating any of it, cos I might have messed up my future tbh.

January, somehow managed ABD (A Eco, B Bio, D Maths) but the drug habit only started after, well only became an issue after...

Basically, my AS are going to be poor, maybe BCCD, if I'm lucky. Actually, that's probably being optimistic.

So what do I do? I genuinely think I can turn it around next year, but I need some universities that aren't fussed on resits... And is it worth taking a year out and applying when I have actual results? Just a bit lost atm

Redo AS and get them to decent level. You could decide on Unis based on those results. Economics is very competitive especially in top unis. Good luck.
Reply 777
FYI I went to the LSE Economics Open Day on wednesday and they don't care how many A* you have as long as your GCSEs are mainly As and A*s
Original post by tiffster
FYI I went to the LSE Economics Open Day on wednesday and they don't care how many A* you have as long as your GCSEs are mainly As and A*s

That's bull****.
Reply 779
That's bull****.

believe what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending