The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
2 b's is not impressive.
Reply 61
big A
I didn't do Economics as an A level, but I do have a fourth AS, so Warwick should be OK for me.

That is not great. Economics A-level is not essential like Maths A-level is. But last year at places like Warwick,UCL and LSE 80-90% of students had A-level Economics.
Reply 62
Thank you Paul this is the best guide I've seen! =]
Reply 63
splee
Thank you Paul this is the best guide I've seen! =]

Is it the best guide you have seen or just the only guide you have seen? :smile:
Reply 64
Paulwhy
Is it the best guide you have seen or just the only guide you have seen? :smile:

I once read the crappy 'Good University Guide' in HK.... and it's far worse than this one.
Reply 65
I've kinda settled upon a provisional list now. I do worry though that I'm spreading myself too thin, especially bearing in mind I'm re-applying so really have no margin for error.

I've got AAA at A2 and AA at AS (do unis care much about AS?) giving me 480 points?

My choices so far are:

510 - LSE
473 - Warwick
459 - UCL
453 - Nottingham
441 - Bath

Meaning I'm above the averages for all bar LSE. Problem is, I'm not *that* far above the average in any of them to be sure of getting in. My plan is to get a Further Maths full A2 level to bump up my application but if I don't, for whatever reason, what are my chances (and what are my chances if I do?)

According to Paul's guide/spreadsheet, I'm below (?) the median group for LSE/UCL/Warwick (480-519...but I'm right at the bottom of that group).

Assuming for whatever reason, I DON'T do Further Maths A2 (I fail, I find it too hard etc) should I, as I think, remove one of the top 4 choices and get in an insurance (or should I exchange Bath for an easier insurance?) Probably if I got rid of a top 4 one it would be Warwick since it's harder to get into than UCL, and I'd probably choose UCL if I got into both anyway.
Reply 66
you got a lot to learn kid if you think warwick is harder then ucl to get into because of ucas points =)
Reply 67
probably. :smile:

I was also going on more people in my year getting into UCL than Warwick (albeit for different subjects). Though that may be because UCL was more applied to ofc :biggrin:

What would your order be out of those 5...LSE, UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bath?
Reply 68
Personally I went for oxford, ucl, warwick, lse, notts, bristol.
For most people
Lse,ucl,warwick,notts,bath

I think you realise for "different subjects" is really not the best proof.
Reply 69
and the fact that I'm in London so people will be more naturally inclined to apply for London unis. :biggrin: Point taken.

How about my chances? (how did you do btw)
Reply 70
Crazster
Personally I went for oxford, ucl, warwick, lse, notts, bristol.
For most people
Lse,ucl,warwick,notts,bath

I think you realise for "different subjects" is really not the best proof.

This is a total crap!

You people shouldn't listen to what this guy is saying. He's a die-hard UCL fun and was a Warwick, Oxford and LSE reject. He does not know what he's talking about for the most part. He only knows about UCL and nothing else.

There are a lot fo UCL successful applicants at Warwick Econ. The same thing cannot be said for UCL.

I personally went to UCL and asked around. I got only a handful of replies. I think there were only 4 or 5 of them who got into Warwick at UCL Econ out of more than a hundred students i've asked, as far as memory serves me right. At Warwick, you would see many successful UCL Econ students. That clearly shows that Warwick wins in the cross-admit battles against UCL for Econ and in many programs. The only program I can think where UCL is better than UCL is Med and Law. As for the rest, Warwick would trump UCL big time. Check the league tables for yourself so you'd find out that this CRAZY-ter guy is lying to us again. Beware of him. He comes around with a deceitful intention. He even thought UCL is better than Stanford and Berkeley. He’s such delusional it makes me want to slap his ugly face or crush his pie-size brain that contains nothing but UCL. Stanford would crash UCL in every single area in the academic race. Yes, UCL is a good uni. But it has been overtaken by Warwick for Econ and in general. Again, check the league tables for you to find out who's telling the truth. And UCL is definitely not as prestigious as Stanford.

Again, UCL Econ is tough to get onto. But it's definitely not as hard to get onto than Warwick Econ and for many other programs.

Sorry that I have to rant. I just can’t stomach the lies of this utterly ignorant guy. It makes me think which part of the solar system he came from!!!
Reply 71
sv90
I've kinda settled upon a provisional list now. I do worry though that I'm spreading myself too thin, especially bearing in mind I'm re-applying so really have no margin for error.

Then you should include atleast 1 uni from the AAB.2 group.

sv90
I've got AAA at A2 and AA at AS (do unis care much about AS?) giving me 480 points?

What subjects did you do?
More qualifcations can't be unhelpful in terms of getting offers.
In terms of meeting offers extra AS-levels can help (e.g. Southampton) but that issue is academic for you as already have AAA at A-level.

My choices so far are:

510 - LSE
473 - Warwick
459 - UCL
453 - Nottingham
441 - Bath

sv90
Meaning I'm above the averages for all bar LSE. Problem is, I'm not *that* far above the average in any of them to be sure of getting in. My plan is to get a Further Maths full A2 level to bump up my application but if I don't, for whatever reason, what are my chances (and what are my chances if I do?)

According to Paul's guide/spreadsheet, I'm below (?) the median group for LSE/UCL/Warwick (480-519...but I'm right at the bottom of that group).

Assuming for whatever reason, I DON'T do Further Maths A2 (I fail, I find it too hard etc) should I, as I think, remove one of the top 4 choices and get in an insurance (or should I exchange Bath for an easier insurance?) Probably if I got rid of a top 4 one it would be Warwick since it's harder to get into than UCL, and I'd probably choose UCL if I got into both anyway.

Even with FM you should put in an AAB.2 insurance choice.
Without FM you want an AAB.2 choice plus a 2nd AAB.1 choice (on top of Bath).
Reply 72
Maths, History, Econs for A-Level
Further Maths and RS for AS-Level

Are you suggesting then:
(assuming no FM)

Any choice
Any choice
AAB.1
AAB.1
AAB.2

?

Why is Bristol below Nottingham in your league table but holds higher average tariff entry? Is it harder or easier to get into? fwiw, I applied to Bristol last year and was rejected, but didn't apply to Nottingham. Would having applied for Bristol already put me at a disadvantage of applying again? I also wouldn't go to St. Andrews because I'm not keen on moving up to Scotland, which leaves me with no more AAB.1 choices?

Would say,

LSE
UCL
Nottingham
Bath
Southampton

be good? If, in theory, UCL is 'easier' to get into Warwick and I wouldn't choose Warwick ahead of UCL anyway, I guess it makes sense to eliminate Warwick
Reply 73
ILIGAN
This is a total crap!

You people shouldn't listen to what this guy is saying. He's a die-hard UCL fun and was a Warwick, Oxford and LSE reject. He does not know what he's talking about for the most part. He only knows about UCL and nothing else.

There are a lot fo UCL successful applicants at Warwick Econ. The same thing cannot be said for UCL.

I personally went to UCL and asked around. I got only a handful of replies. I think there were only 4 or 5 of them who got into Warwick at UCL Econ out of more than a hundred students i've asked, as far as memory serves me right. At Warwick, you would see many successful UCL Econ students. That clearly shows that Warwick wins in the cross-admit battles against UCL for Econ and in many programs. The only program I can think where UCL is better than UCL is Med and Law. As for the rest, Warwick would trump UCL big time. Check the league tables for yourself so you'd find out that this CRAZY-ter guy is lying to us again. Beware of him. He comes around with a deceitful intention. He even thought UCL is better than Stanford and Berkeley. He’s such delusional it makes me want to slap his ugly face or crush his pie-size brain that contains nothing but UCL. Stanford would crash UCL in every single area in the academic race. Yes, UCL is a good uni. But it has been overtaken by Warwick for Econ and in general. Again, check the league tables for you to find out who's telling the truth. And UCL is definitely not as prestigious as Stanford.

Again, UCL Econ is tough to get onto. But it's definitely not as hard to get onto than Warwick Econ and for many other programs.

Sorry that I have to rant. I just can’t stomach the lies of this utterly ignorant guy. It makes me think which part of the solar system he came from!!!

Hi troll, got some free time again? Enjoy =).

To SV, i got rejected from ox/lse from my list >>
Reply 74
sv90
probably. :smile:

I was also going on more people in my year getting into UCL than Warwick (albeit for different subjects). Though that may be because UCL was more applied to ofc :biggrin:

What would your order be out of those 5...LSE, UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bath?

My own subjective ranking would be:
LSE > Warwick ≥ UCL > Notts > Bath
Reply 75
apparently i'm a " You're utterly a disgusting Warwick/LSE reject! You low life individual deceives so many people to boost your ego. You're nothing but a social-climber wanting to level with the intellectual and economic elite. You stay at UCL as it is for very insecure people like you!

Lie again and I will make sure you would fall flat on the ground, you stupid, pungent Indian!!"

By someone with no rep, I do encourage said invididual to err "make me fall flat on my face" and tell me where I "lied" so I can correct this. =). Illigan any day now :wink:
Crazster
apparently i'm a " You're utterly a disgusting Warwick/LSE reject! You low life individual deceives so many people to boost your ego. You're nothing but a social-climber wanting to level with the intellectual and economic elite. You stay at UCL as it is for very insecure people like you!

Lie again and I will make sure you would fall flat on the ground, you stupid, pungent Indian!!"

By someone with no rep, I do encourage said invididual to err "make me fall flat on my face" and tell me where I "lied" so I can correct this. =). Illigan any day now :wink:

Did he really write that? Racist.
Reply 77
prospectivEEconomist
Did he really write that? Racist.

its like hes not even trying anymore =(
Reply 78
hi, i want to do economics at uni, and just wondered what sort of unis I should apply to. My AS grades are AABB, and i think that i should get between ABB/BBB at A2. But dont know my predictions.

Is there anything I can do to make me seem a better candidate? Im hopefully going to have a decent part time job within the next month, and play a bit of sport but not much else.
Reply 79
Hrov
hi, i want to do economics at uni, and just wondered what sort of unis I should apply to. My AS grades are AABB, and i think that i should get between ABB/BBB at A2. But dont know my predictions.

Is there anything I can do to make me seem a better candidate? Im hopefully going to have a decent part time job within the next month, and play a bit of sport but not much else.

why do you think you are going to get ABB when you got AABB in As? module mark low? otherwise resit and get higher marks. UCL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending