The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

What to do on Moving in Day

Obviously we'll be busy during Freshers' Week and the academic terms thereafter, but what exactly are we meant to do on the weekend of the 21st/22nd of September? Are there any events we have to attend, or maybe some optional ones? Or are we free to just stay in our rooms or explore the local area if we so desire? I imagine this will be the case, and that most of Saturday and Sunday will be spent sorting out and settling into our rooms, though I'm keen to make sure that I won't be missing anything. I'm sure I'm just being a little over-organised... :rolleyes: Thanks to whichever of the erudite resident posters on this sub-forum (most likely katkit) who replies to this post. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
KentWill
Obviously we'll be busy during Freshers' Week and the academic terms thereafter, but what exactly are we meant to do on the weekend of the 21st/22nd of September? Are there any events we have to attend, or maybe some optional ones? Or are we free to just stay in our rooms or explore the local area if we so desire? I imagine this will be the case, and that most of Saturday and Sunday will be spent sorting out and settling into our rooms, though I'm keen to make sure that I won't be missing anything. I'm sure I'm just being a little over-organised... :rolleyes: Thanks to whichever of the erudite resident posters on this sub-forum (most likely katkit) who replies to this post. :smile:

thats what i figured..++ meet flat/house mates...go down to the local pub...do some more bits and bobs shopping in the town centre...register at the sports centre...etc..

are most planning to move in on a saturday...or a sunday?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I'll be moving in as late as possible. :no:
as long as you have loads of booze all will be fine
you are supposed to sit on your bed, hands on your lap and wait until it's bedtime. obviously...
Reply 5
What if mindless inebriation doesn't appeal to me?
Reply 6
cheese_fondue
you are supposed to sit on your bed, hands on your lap and wait until it's bedtime. obviously...

Is that supposed to be wit?

Though I'd rather stay on my own in my bedroom than mix with the likes of you, you lifeless cow.
KentWill

Though I'd rather stay on my own in my bedroom than mix with the likes of you, you lifeless cow.

no. sarcasm.
Reply 8
KentWill

Goodness, there was no need for that. The comment was hardly meant as a personal attack against you.
Aspect
Goodness, there was no need for that. The comment was hardly meant as a personal attack against you.

aw, bless.
OP was just practicing how to make friends at uni. :p:
Reply 10
^ Let's not turn this into a bloodbath...
The weekend is the 20th/21st.

There is a list of talks for the week after, and on that weekend specifically I'm sure that there will be lots of "getting to know each other" events. I'm not sure if any of them will be alcohol free/optional, but I'm sure you'll find something to do.
Reply 12
http://www.kentunion.co.uk/pages/freshers/events.html

it kicks off from 20th, im sure i'll be there despite my non drinking :p:

waterfight on 21st? as far as I can remember, there'll be loads to do, dont plan to sit around being bored anyways...

Twister anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 13
Aspect

Surprise surprise... One of the sour, brattish resident posters on here opts not to take the side of the victim. :rolleyes:

As for the loathsome, self-aggrandizing non-entity who originally felt the need to deride my opening post, what an insipid, unendearing, forgettable little creature you are.

Even if you do have the support of all the equally dour and inimical posters on here, you are still neither sarcastic nor amusing.

But how pathetic it is that when a member of the pathetic little University of Kent coterie on here is rightfully traduced, its members close ranks, sympathise with one another and attack the person subjected to disdainful treatment by someone in their miserable clique.

I am now disinclined to even feign cordiality. All of you are, in the most part, grossly obdurate and unkindly.

Cue 'randombloke's' resounding defence of his beloved compadres... :wink:
I spent the first day with my parents, the second day i spent half of it with my parents and then went to meet other people in my accommodation/the union
Reply 15
KentWill
Surprise surprise... One of the sour, brattish resident posters on here opts not to take the side of the victim. :rolleyes:

As for the loathsome, self-aggrandizing non-entity who originally felt the need to deride my original post, what an insipid, unendearing, forgettable little creature you are.

Even if you do have the support of all the equally dour and inimical posters on here, you are still hugely unfunny.

How pathetic it is that when a member of the pathetic little University of Kent coterie on here is rightfully traduced all of its members close ranks and sympathise with the person whose feeble gang they are also a member of.

I am now disinclined to even feign cordiality. All of you are, in the most part, grossly obdurate and unkindly.

Cue 'randombloke's' resounding defence of his miserable compadres... :rolleyes:

your posts are annoying to read
Reply 16
Beska, might that be because they are a little more colourful and meaningful than your vacuous, uncharitable protestations against me?

Note too that all your post has done is corroborate my earlier observations. :cool:

But seriously, what a bitter, hardhearted bunch you all are.
Reply 17
KentWill, why are trying to make yourself in to a victim here? Nobody has done anything wrong to you. The guy who made the comment further up was obviously joking, but you took it to heart for some reason and lashed out. Is it some sort of defence mechanism - maybe you're scared about getting close to anyone so you're pretending that we're all against you? We're not against you, but we might start being if you keep turning what is usually a peaceful forum in to an argumentative one.
Move in, then went town with my flat mates before going on a campus bar crawl then to the venue.
Reply 19
Affinity, I would have thought that being the target of smug, sardonic barbs and jibes, as well as being treated with the utmost contempt on here, is sufficient evidence that I am generally victimised on this forum. Please do not pretend I have no sense of humour. I have tried to be pleasant, though the messages directed at me are, more often than not, distinctly curt.

Regards my alleged 'defence mechanism', your assertions are completely flawed. I 'lash out' at people when they reject me for no good reason. My greatest frustration is being disliked by the smug, vindictive posters on here, whilst it is my wish to be tolerated on this forum. So it is wrong to say that I fear the possibility of people getting too close to me. If the miserable bunch of people on here were to modify their attitudes towards me, the emergence of any 'defence mechanism' of mine would be instantly obviated.

But in my defence, you are all very short-tempered with, intolerant of and hostile towards people whose tastes and preferences do not resemble your own. Those who wish to take no part in the frivolity, booze-fuelled raucousness and outlandish, boisterous events of Freshers' Week receive pillory and contempt. If some of you were more understanding of my views perhaps I wouldn't be as easily angered as I am at the moment. Sorry to go on, but I do think I'm in the right on this occasion.

Latest

Trending

Trending