The Student Room Group

AS Geog Exam Question

Could someone who's good at Geography tell me if this answer is detailed enough as it has to be handed in for tomorrow. I still think there's something I've missed out. Cheers!

a) Outline the consequences of rapid urbanisation within the LEDW (10)

New migrants cannot afford housing in LEDW cities which means they have to build their own. These are known as Shanty towns, favelas or squatter settlements. These areas can become very overcrowded with residents which can increase the risk of spreading of diseases such as Aids.
In cities such as Sau Paulo for example, many people are unemployed; the ones which are work in factories as these are located to the periphery or the urban-fringe where these Brazilian favelas are usually located. Many of these very poor Shanty towns or favelas are situated in close proximities to the more upper-class areas of LEDW because the favelas become so expansive from the increasing number of new residents. Some of these residents will have no electricity or even tap water. The local authorities can do little to help them because the speed of urbanisation is greater than the speed of which they can resolve these problems.
Environmental pollution is also another major consequence from factories and vehicles and can cause major health risks. The huge amount of waste that is deposited also relates back to the risk of spreading diseases.
There are however, some benefits of urbanisation in the LEDW. The city has many services to offer such as education and training, this will help to create a better skilled workforce in the future. The economy will also benefit from the increase in employees and the government is also able to help people more in urban areas rather than rural areas.
Reply 1
LEDW? Never heard of that. I only heard of LEDC though. :tongue:
Reply 2
less economically developed world - LEDW :biggrin:
Reply 3
Really? :confused: Didn't learnt that in AS geography.
Reply 4
Are you referring to AS Geograpgy or A2? It sounds like the content of the Edexcel AS Human Geography (Population, Settlement and Urbanisation) which I shall sit in January.

For all it's worth, my teacher, class and I have always referred to LEDCs and I've never heard of the LEDW before. But I guess it's not a big deal.
Reply 5
Ad Lib
Are you referring to AS Geograpgy or A2?

OK, so I've just read the title of the thread... :redface:
Reply 6
JamesH
Could someone who's good at Geography tell me if this answer is detailed enough as it has to be handed in for tomorrow. I still think there's something I've missed out. Cheers!

a) Outline the consequences of rapid urbanisation within the LEDW (10)

New migrants cannot afford housing in LEDW cities which means they have to build their own. These are known as Shanty towns, favelas or squatter settlements. These areas can become very overcrowded with residents which can increase the risk of spreading of diseases such as Aids.
In cities such as Sau Paulo for example, many people are unemployed; the ones which are work in factories as these are located to the periphery or the urban-fringe where these Brazilian favelas are usually located. Many of these very poor Shanty towns or favelas are situated in close proximities to the more upper-class areas of LEDW because the favelas become so expansive from the increasing number of new residents. Some of these residents will have no electricity or even tap water. The local authorities can do little to help them because the speed of urbanisation is greater than the speed of which they can resolve these problems.
Environmental pollution is also another major consequence from factories and vehicles and can cause major health risks. The huge amount of waste that is deposited also relates back to the risk of spreading diseases.
There are however, some benefits of urbanisation in the LEDW. The city has many services to offer such as education and training, this will help to create a better skilled workforce in the future. The economy will also benefit from the increase in employees and the government is also able to help people more in urban areas rather than rural areas.

It's a bit too brief for 10 marks!

You have missed some key points:

- You should briefly address the reasons for rapid urbanisation in the LEDW (push/pull factors)
- Aids isnt spread through overcrowding!!!! Try diseases such as cholera and typhoid :smile:
- More urbanisation will lead to further deprivation in rural areas. (you can expand this point)
- Talk about the tranport problems which mass urbanisation creates.
- Another consequence of rapid urbanisation is the growth of the INFORMAL SECTOR.
- Use at least 2 examples. (Sao Paulo is good but also use perhaps Rio de Janiero)

At the moment you'd probably get 6/7 out of 10. Add in these points and you'd get 10/10!!!

Hope it helps and good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Didn't realise this is the Edexcel spec. I am not following that spec, so I won't know about LEDW.
Reply 8
Maybe for more marks, and i guess it's good to know, don't forget to talk about the effects on the SOURCE aswell as the destination..
so, the CARRYING CAPACITY of the rural areas (source) is reduced, more resources available where there could have been some overpopulation. also working population dissapears; lack of development ; negative multiplier effect kicks in. and then theres still the problems associated with isolated rural areas, regarding isolation etc..
oh and carrying capacity is strained in the cities, less resources available. but don't forget life's still probably better in the city!
anyway by this point i've got carried away. remember to love geography

Latest

Trending

Trending