The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We had some bodycon style dresses in stock recently - I tried one on for a laugh.. I didn't expect it to look any good!! Especially as I'm not exactly a size 8. :p:

This dress was MADE for size 12 curves, it seems. :wink:
DancinBallerina
:dontknow: lol, I haven't got it . . yet! I just saw it and thought oooo shall be ordering that on Friday (payday!) :biggrin: Im a size 10-12, but will go for a 12 to accommodate boobage and washing!

EDIT: Just measuring myself as the dress is apparently 37'' side neck to hem, but 37'' is like to my knee cap (and im tall 5ft 8/9), anyone else measured and found this? . . . And also my mum just said its sluttish?! . . :s-smilie:

Yeah im also a 5ft 8. Oh god do u think its slutty?
fungirl1234
Yeah im also a 5ft 8. Oh god do u think its slutty?

I was thinking more on the lines of wearing it clubbing :s-smilie:, but now that my mum just said its slutty, its put me off now :frown: - might just order it and see although I dont think P&P is refunded on ASOS if I want to send it back!

I dont think it is @ all - I will ask my brother (for a male's point of view) and see what he says.

EDIT: ok he just said its alright and that he has seen plenty of girls where those type of dresses up town before.
i just found a shorter dress lol
http://store.americanapparel.co.uk/rsa8340.html
...i wonder if they go stretchy after a few wears - they would look great to start with and then - not so good! :eek:
fungirl1234
i just found a shorter dress lol
http://store.americanapparel.co.uk/rsa8340.html

Not too keen on that one . . .still loathing after the ASOS one :ninjagirl: . . lol
Reply 26
DancinBallerina
Ooooo I like these . . . this one I just spotted on ASOS seems pretty nice . . .

yeah, i saw that one. it's a shame you can only get it online though and i've heared ASOS isn't amazing quality. i think a dress like that you really need to try on first.
it doesn't look like a bad deal though if the material is actually nice enough for it not to look cheap.
Reply 27
DancinBallerina
:dontknow: lol, I haven't got it . . yet! I just saw it and thought oooo shall be ordering that on Friday (payday!) :biggrin: Im a size 10-12, but will go for a 12 to accommodate boobage and washing!

EDIT: Just measuring myself as the dress is apparently 37'' side neck to hem, but 37'' is like to my knee cap (and im tall 5ft 8/9), anyone else measured and found this? . . . And also my mum just said its sluttish?! . . :s-smilie:

it's not slutty at all! it's a v neck, so shows a bit of cleavage, but um, to be honest only if you have massive amounts to show. it'll probably be just above the knee, so again not sluttish. I think it's very sexy but without being slutty. Urgh, i hate those massive empire line **** things that make you look frigging pregnant.
show your mum what it looks like in the catwalk video, haha. a lot less sexy due to the model not having massive boobs falling out of it.

Let me know what the quality is like and if it's any good! I would be very, very tempted to order it too, but I've never ordered from ASOS before, so I'm nervous about doing it, especially if I might have to send it back. It says it's stretch, so I should be able to order my normal size...
Adarah
yeah, i saw that one. it's a shame you can only get it online though and i've heared ASOS isn't amazing quality. i think a dress like that you really need to try on first.
it doesn't look like a bad deal though if the material is actually nice enough for it not to look cheap.

I got a top from ASOS late last year and I found it alright, a tad bigger than I thought but its alright. But yes like you said, unable to try it on before I buy is a pain in da butt.

Will hunt around town and see if I can find any and try them on (although they won't be the same, will give me a jist of what to expect - if that makes sense) . .
Adarah
it's not slutty at all! it's a v neck, so shows a bit of cleavage, but um, to be honest only if you have massive amounts to show. it'll probably be just above the knee, so again not sluttish. I think it's very sexy but without being slutty. Urgh, i hate those massive empire line **** things that make you look frigging pregnant.
show your mum what it looks like in the catwalk video, haha. a lot less sexy due to the model not having massive boobs falling out of it.

Let me know what the quality is like and if it's any good! I would be very, very tempted to order it too, but I've never ordered from ASOS before, so I'm nervous about doing it, especially if I might have to send it back. It says it's stretch, so I should be able to order my normal size...

Yea I don't think its slutty either, its just different, ok not different, but it makes a change from what I always wear when I go out, ie jeans with a top and heels - im getting bored of that look. Hardly ever do I get my legs out or my mum suggests clothes that make me look like im wearing a wardrobe with my head sticking out the top!!!!

Everytime I look at it, im getting v v tempted to just order it and see what it look like - if its pants, then will send it back, if not will keep it. I have ordered from ASOS before and I haven't had no trouble from them at all. The top I got before was a little bit bigger than I thought, but its not noticeable.

As for size im a 10-12, but might go for the 12 to accomodate for the boobage on top :s-smilie:. . .
Reply 30
DancinBallerina
Yea I don't think its slutty either, its just different, ok not different, but it makes a change from what I always wear when I go out, ie jeans with a top and heels - im getting bored of that look. Hardly ever do I get my legs out or my mum suggests clothes that make me look like im wearing a wardrobe with my head sticking out the top!!!!

Everytime I look at it, im getting v v tempted to just order it and see what it look like - if its pants, then will send it back, if not will keep it. I have ordered from ASOS before and I haven't had no trouble from them at all. The top I got before was a little bit bigger than I thought, but its not noticeable.

As for size im a 10-12, but might go for the 12 to accomodate for the boobage on top :s-smilie:. . .

They have a size guide, but i'm not sure if I can trust it, especially not if you say the top was a bit large. Cause according to their size guide I'd have to go up a size if I order from them. but the dress should be tight and I wouldn't want it to be baggy anywhere.
Argh, do you know how tempted I am to order it now?! :woo:
Adarah
They have a size guide, but i'm not sure if I can trust it, especially not if you say the top was a bit large. Cause according to their size guide I'd have to go up a size if I order from them. but the dress should be tight and I wouldn't want it to be baggy anywhere.
Argh, do you know how tempted I am to order it now?! :woo:

Yea, my friend lives on their website and she has said that their sizes tend to be a lil (not majorly) bigger. The top I bought was halter neck, so that might be why its a lil on the biggish size, perhaps? . . :s-smilie:

LMAO I have no £££ in my account so that is what is stopping me from ordering it until Friday - so im alright @ the moment, but god help me on Friday - I have a feeling im going to be skint by Saturday morning! lol :ninjagirl: . .
Reply 32
DancinBallerina
Yea, my friend lives on their website and she has said that their sizes tend to be a lil (not majorly) bigger. The top I bought was halter neck, so that might be why its a lil on the biggish size, perhaps? . . :s-smilie:

LMAO I have no £££ in my account so that is what is stopping me from ordering it until Friday - so im alright @ the moment, but god help me on Friday - I have a feeling im going to be skint by Saturday morning! lol :ninjagirl: . .

the reason I'm so tempted is because it's black, and looks nicer than anything I've seen recently in the shops.

the zip is quite off putting though, don't you think? :no: Now that i think about it, it makes it look kind of tacky. *sigh*
Adarah
the reason I'm so tempted is because it's black, and looks nicer than anything I've seen recently in the shops.

the zip is quite off putting though, don't you think? :no: Now that i think about it, it makes it look kind of tacky. *sigh*

Soz slow reply, went to shops to get some yogurts :o:

Anyway yea, my reasons are exactly the same as you - its the zip that makes it look a tad meh, tacky . . maybe if it was a pull over dress or something, it wouldn't look bad perhaps?
Reply 34
DancinBallerina
Soz slow reply, went to shops to get some yogurts :o:

Anyway yea, my reasons are exactly the same as you - its the zip that makes it look a tad meh, tacky . . maybe if it was a pull over dress or something, it wouldn't look bad perhaps?

I think if it didn't have the zip I'd buy it straight away. But see how odd it looks at the back on the catwalk model, it bends oddly, as it doesn't lie flush against her back. i think i've talked myself out of the dress...
I think if ASOS does them though, that's a good sign, right? how much longer can it be until highstreet shops like topshop make them, eh? (hope H&M will)
Reply 35
Fjarskafinn
We had some bodycon style dresses in stock recently - I tried one on for a laugh.. I didn't expect it to look any good!! Especially as I'm not exactly a size 8. :p:

This dress was MADE for size 12 curves, it seems. :wink:

in stock? where do you work and were they any good?
Adarah
I think if it didn't have the zip I'd buy it straight away. But see how odd it looks at the back on the catwalk model, it bends oddly, as it doesn't lie flush against her back. i think i've talked myself out of the dress...
I think if ASOS does them though, that's a good sign, right? how much longer can it be until highstreet shops like topshop make them, eh? (hope H&M will)

Actually I didn't even notice that it wasn't flush on the back (thank you for making me aware of that - that is my no.1 pet hate, when something doesn't fit flat on the back) - I too have now been talked out of getting it.

Im going to pop into town tomorrow or Friday and have a look. If i find one, I shall PM you or post on here so everyone can see. :smile:

Adarah

Yea I too would like to know :smile:
Adarah

Haha, you're probably not going to like this.. I work in Select.

And this was a few weeks ago, so I don't know if there are any left - there certainly aren't in my branch.
Reply 38
Fjarskafinn
Haha, you're probably not going to like this.. I work in Select.

And this was a few weeks ago, so I don't know if there are any left - there certainly aren't in my branch.

i don't know what select is - I have a few shops called 'select and save' near me, but it can't be them, lol, they only stock household junk.
let me google if one is close to me. shame if there is one near me but nothing left :frown:

edit: ok, select's website is currently unavailable. great.
Adarah
i don't know what select is - I have a few shops called 'select and save' near me, but it can't be them, lol, they only stock household junk.
let me google if one is close to me. shame if there is one near me but nothing left :frown:

edit: ok, select's website is currently unavailable. great.

Eeeek Select :shock:. I bought a top and a jumper from them before and it lasted about 2weeks max!

Have vowed never again to shop in there and waste my money.

My search continues . . .

Latest