The Student Room Group

Going to the country of your target language

Okay, say when you finish your A Levels you go and live in the country of your target language, how easy is it to learn the language?

To narrow it down a bit:

You did your A Level in that language, and scored whatever the average grade is(assume C)

You earn money by teaching english

Your a bankrupt student who can't afford a language teacher

How easy is it to learn the language, and by what methods would you/did you/do you employ?

Cheers
Reply 1
Depends how easy you make it on yourself. I mean obviously teaching English isn't going to do wonders for your target language. Would be far better getting a job where you're speaking that language.
Well I got an A in French this year, have come to France to work in a hotel. I have been here six and a bit weeks now and I still struggle a lot. And this is after a week's language course and constant immersion with native speakers.

With a C at A level and no teacher or any apparent way to integrate with the local people, you're ****ed, basically. I wouldnt bother going to the country if you can't afford to have a teacher, or find a job that involves working with natives.
Reply 3
You will (or should) definitely improve though. I was only there for 5 months and my French got noticably better.
james99
You will (or should) definitely improve though. I was only there for 5 months and my French got noticably better.

And what did you do while you were there? From what the OP says, it seems they wont have any contact with actual French people at all, they expect to magically absorb the language from thin air.
Reply 5
Joanna May
And what did you do while you were there? From what the OP says, it seems they wont have any contact with actual French people at all, they expect to magically absorb the language from thin air.

I struggle to believe that you could live in a country without having any sort of spoken communication with the people that live there :p:

Personally I was studying at a French university.
james99
I struggle to believe that you could live in a country without having any sort of spoken communication with the people that live there :p:

Personally I was studying at a French university.

Erm...if you went there alone and lived alone? I know that if I didn't have a job here, I wouldnt have got beyond "Bonjour" and "Pardon, desolée" ever. It's not exactly easy to make friends with foreign people when the most you do is bump into them on the bus, and your original level of French isn't that great anyway. If you pitched up in a strange town in England where you knew no one, you'd struggle to meet people if you didn't have a job or uni course.
Reply 7
Joanna May
Erm...if you went there alone and lived alone? I know that if I didn't have a job here, I wouldnt have got beyond "Bonjour" and "Pardon, desolée" ever. It's not exactly easy to make friends with foreign people when the most you do is bump into them on the bus, and your original level of French isn't that great anyway. If you pitched up in a strange town in England where you knew no one, you'd struggle to meet people if you didn't have a job or uni course.

Yeah but how would you organise somewhere to live without speaking French? And even if you were speaking English when working at a school, surely you would speak French to your colleagues.

At the end of the day, if you want to improve your language you have to make an effort. Yeah, if literally all you ever say is "bonjour" and "pardon" then your French won't improve, but even the most basic interactions, such as asking for some bread in a bakery or buying a train ticket, will help improve your speaking skills.
james99
Yeah but how would you organise somewhere to live without speaking French? And even if you were speaking English when working at a school, surely you would speak French to your colleagues.

At the end of the day, if you want to improve your language you have to make an effort. Yeah, if literally all you ever say is "bonjour" and "pardon" then your French won't improve, but even the most basic interactions, such as asking for some bread in a bakery or buying a train ticket, will help improve your speaking skills.

The OP seemed to be referring to teaching English as a private tutor, since they didn't mention any colleagues or firm plans, so no French spoken there, or colleagues to speak it with. If I'm incorrect, then I apologise, but the feelings I got from the OP's post was that they hadn't really considered any of this at all, much less planned to rent accomoation etc.

The things you have mentioned won't improve your speaking skills to any decent level at all, that's ridiculous. Any GCSE student can order a loaf of bread, that doesn't make them fluent. Fluency requires constant, complex speaking of the language and a lot of it. You need to have real conversations with French people, not parrot phrasesbook style "Je voudrais un pain au chocolat, svp".

OP, I would really recommend a tutor. I doubt you would be able to find a formal job in France with such a low level of flrench (mine was arranged for me and its unpaid, yet I never would have gotten it by myself), and you need the constant practise to improve at all. Otherwise you will get very good at ordering food, and nothing else.
Reply 9
Joanna May
The OP seemed to be referring to teaching English as a private tutor, since they didn't mention any colleagues or firm plans, so no French spoken there, or colleagues to speak it with. If I'm incorrect, then I apologise, but the feelings I got from the OP's post was that they hadn't really considered any of this at all, much less planned to rent accomoation etc.

The things you have mentioned won't improve your speaking skills to any decent level at all, that's ridiculous. Any GCSE student can order a loaf of bread, that doesn't make them fluent. Fluency requires constant, complex speaking of the language and a lot of it. You need to have real conversations with French people, not parrot phrasesbook style "Je voudrais un pain au chocolat, svp".

OP, I would really recommend a tutor. I doubt you would be able to find a formal job in France with such a low level of flrench (mine was arranged for me and its unpaid, yet I never would have gotten it by myself), and you need the constant practise to improve at all. Otherwise you will get very good at ordering food, and nothing else.

Hmm, I got the impression the OP would be working in a school. Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you in that you need to have real conversations with French people; I just think the whole experience of living in a foreign country will help no matter what. I think taking French lessons would be a good idea as well, if possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending