The Student Room Group

Ppe Ps

Im starting my AS year, I'm aware Its quite early to be thinking about it but Im very intersted in doing PPE (or a similar course) at a top university, (Oxford, Durham, York...)

I've read a few successful personal statements, their highly acadamic and often go into detail concerning books and opinions on PPE. I've already read Sophies World which was very interesting. Can anyone recommend some books for me to read and any other seminars or activites that would look good on my PS?
Harry Potter
Reply 2
I'm not sure Sophie's World would be that great to put on a ps.. I read it when I was 10 or something.. :s-smilie:
A political biography maybe??
Reply 3
hmmm, I've seen sophies world on PS's before, I agree it probably wont be good to put on there, was interesting none the less and was important for me personally to confirm an interest in philosophy.

Yeah thanks political biographys are a good idea.
Reply 4
Buffyboy
hmmm, I've seen sophies world on PS's before, I agree it probably wont be good to put on there, was interesting none the less and was important for me personally to confirm an interest in philosophy.

Yeah thanks political biographys are a good idea.

Yeah, I liked Sophie's World as well, although it did go a bit over my head the first time I read it!! (And it's Norwegian, so I have to like it :biggrin: ) If you can find an intelligent way to mention it, then do. If not, don't :wink:

There's loads of politics books out there, I tend to just browse Amazon to see if anything catches my interest..

Check out the Pol & IR society on here, there are many suggestions in there!!
How about Noam Choamskys Manufacturing Consent or The Penguin History of the USA by Hugh Brogan. Never hurts to start reading up early, especially if your trying for Oxford.
Sophie's world I found boring to be honest, it's not sure whether it's a novel or a philosophy textbook and is consequently rubbish at both.

Politics
Who runs this place - Anthony Sampson
The Right Nation - Micklethwait and Wooldridge. (If you're interested in US politics)

Economics
Everlasting Lightbulbs - John Kay
The Undercover Economist - Tim Harford
The Armchair Economist - Stephen Landsburg
Globalisation and it's Discontents - Joseph Stiglitz
Capitalism and Freedom - Milton Friedman

I'll add to those If I can think of more, Economics is easy thanks to all the popular economics about at the moment. Politics and Philosophy will take a bit more thought - perhaps find a general primer on the subjects and then do some reading on specific veins of interest. For instance if you think John Stuart Mills looks interesting read some biographies and books about his work* and look at some of his original work. The quantity is not as important as showing an interest and the willingness to do your own research.

*The very short introduction series by the OUP is good for this

Latest

Trending

Trending