The Student Room Group
Reply 1
gangsta316
In general are the universities on offer through UCAS Extra better or worse than those on offer in clearing?

Generally better - UCAS Extra is like a sixth choice (though it doesn't have to be considered fairly), whereas Clearing is more for unis to fill up places they have.

With grades like that, I doubt you'll need to consider either option.
Reply 2
mailmerge
Generally better - UCAS Extra is like a sixth choice (though it doesn't have to be considered fairly), whereas Clearing is more for unis to fill up places they have.

With grades like that, I doubt you'll need to consider either option.

But if I apply to 5 top unis I might get rejected from all of them.
Reply 3
gangsta316

If you're predicted AAA, I would strongly doubt that.
gangsta316

Yes, that is a possibility (although its unlikely).

UCAS Extra has most of the courses available through normal application on it, apart from some high demand ones and top Unis who chose to be removed from the system.
Your Extra choice does not have to consider you, or give you equal consideration but if you have decent grades then there is a great chance they may give you an offer.
Its not so last chance/ last minute as Clearing and in general most places and courses will appear in Extra.
Reply 5
mollymustard
Yes, that is a possibility (although its unlikely).

UCAS Extra has most of the courses available through normal application on it, apart from some high demand ones and top Unis who chose to be removed from the system.
Your Extra choice does not have to consider you, or give you equal consideration but if you have decent grades then there is a great chance they may give you an offer.
Its not so last chance/ last minute as Clearing and in general most places and courses will appear in Extra.

But haven't most popular/top courses given out enough offers so they aren't in Extra?

mailmerge
If you're predicted AAA, I would strongly doubt that.

But aren't most people who apply to top unis also predicted AAA? It seems a bit like a lottery with so many people getting predictions of AAA, except for at Oxbridge because they interview and all.
Reply 6
gangsta316
But aren't most people who apply to top unis also predicted AAA? It seems a bit like a lottery with so many people getting predictions of AAA, except for at Oxbridge because they interview and all.

Seriously, don't worry so much, it's unhealthy.
Pick your five options first, you'll probably find you're above the typical offers, and hence very likely to be made an offer.
gangsta316
But haven't most popular/top courses given out enough offers so they aren't in Extra?

Yes, most courses realistically have no spaces left. But lots remain in Extra in case an amazing student wants to apply and impresses the admissions tutors.
Remember Unis don't lose anything by remaining in Extra, they don't even have to read through any of the applications properly if they dont want to as they don't need to give equal consideration.

Latest

Trending

Trending