The Student Room Group

letters after my name...

Scroll to see replies

clad in armour
ah yes sweet naivety
now why would you write down your name followed by your qualification, unless its for an official document or something otherwise it just looks like your showing of like that 'de lacy brown' guy from the apprentice who put de lacy in his name because it looked noble or something

which is why i'm confused as to the OPs post, why is he asking what to put after his name and if it is an official document do you still put it after your name, why and what type of official document?
Reply 21
sleekchic
anyone?

As with any graduate you get the letters appropriate to your degree. Commonly this is either John Smith BA (Hons) or John Smith BSc (Hons), however some degree disciplines get different letters (usually due to tradition.) As such lawyers get LL.B (Legum Baccalaureus ). Other disciplines get other letters also: Medicine can be MBChB or MBBS etc, Maths can be BMath, Engineering can be BEng etc etc. A

notable exception is for Oxbridge. At Oxford and Cambridge all (I think) undergrads are awarded a BA (Hons) which after the appropriate time and with the appropriate financial obligations satisfied the letters change to MA. This rule (the conversion to MA) also happens at the University of Dublin.

You will also find other letters after peoples names associated to their degree. For example: John Smith BA (Hons) (Cantab.) This refers to the degree awarding institute - it is the Latin name of the place. This happens at:

Cambridge - Cantab. (hence 'tabs)
Oxford - Oxon.
Durham - Dunelm
Exeter - Exon.

The awarding of the degree entitles you to write those letters after your name whenever you write your name, however, only a pretentious knob would put their letters after their name all the time. Usually it is only done when appropriate, eg: professional letterheads etc.
Reply 22
sleekchic
which is why i'm confused as to the OPs post, why is he asking what to put after his name and if it is an official document do you still put it after your name, why and what type of official document?

Usually it is only put on appropriate letterheads (those to do with your profession), letters to your alma mater, or C.Vs.
Prudy
Usually it is only put on appropriate letterheads (those to do with your profession), letters to your alma mater, or C.Vs.

Thanks
Good night all!

Yours faithfully,

Evil Genius, Super Honours Preschool Dipl. (Oxsnob), Moderately Decent School Dipl. (Centab), LLB Honours (Dunelm).
Reply 25
I can't imagine when I would ever put LLB after my name.

I'd rather say Mr A. B. Chalks, U7 10m swimming (2nd prize)

If you really are desperate to know the appropriate order for post-nominals then, as always, Debrett's has the correct form. This assumes, of course, that you have a raft of qualifications, memberships and awards to refer to.
Reply 26
Prudy
You will also find other letters after peoples names associated to their degree. For example: John Smith BA (Hons) (Cantab.) This refers to the degree awarding institute - it is the Latin name of the place. This happens at:

Cambridge - Cantab. (hence 'tabs)
Oxford - Oxon.
Durham - Dunelm
Exeter - Exon.

Growing up in Devon I was taught that the Latin name for Exeter was Isca.
Reply 27
devongirl

Latin name for the place Exeter used to be - Isca Dumnoniorum
Latin name for somebody of Exeter - Exoniensis

I don't really see what the point of you commenting was, other than to try and make me look stupid :confused:
Reply 28
I have a Masters of Science in Maritime Studies (MSc Maritime Studies). What do I write after my name?
Reply 29
bjorn8781
I have a Masters of Science in Maritime Studies (MSc Maritime Studies). What do I write after my name?
If you're going to put anything then put 'MSc'. You'd only really do it for professional purposes though.
Reply 30
devongirl

I think Isca just means Roman fortress or something similar. Several villages in Wales have the name Isca when they have some remains there.
Reply 31
I CANNOT wait for the day when I receive an email or letter from a really tedious ex-school colleague who is most certainly going to put,

Yours sincerely, John Doe, Bsc.

Its gonna be brill!

Ps. I'm 99% sure tony_ron is right...
Reply 32
A person in my LPC group has handed out "business" cards to everyone else (I put business in inverted commas because I don't see how it can be called a business card when you don't actually work) with their contact details and it is headed:

Joe Bloggs LLB

They then handed me an updated one when their masters came through, with

Joe Bloggs LLB, LLM

Needless to say we all rip the piss out of them.
Reply 33
The LPC sounds like it's going to be such fun...
Reply 34
You will now be on your CV...."Drob83 LL.B (Hons)"
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
You will now be on your CV....
You do realise this post is 8 years old?

Original post by Hvgt118
You will now be on your CV....
These are relevant if you write a book or have articles published. Editor told me I should put them in after first time published without! What I want to know is if you stick 'em all on there or you just pick the most relevant want. What if you do a conversion course, does that remove one?! :wink:
I've just finished my degree and I can't wait to actually change my Facebook name to have *my name* BA Hons after it.
It will stay there long enough for certain people who I know are watching my profile to realise I'm not as stupid as they accused me of being 😂Then it will only be used when appropriate.
Placing the letters LLB after your name informs people that you have a very particular set of skills. Very sought after skills. The LLB is a very hard degree (as are the sciences, I doth my cap to those with science degrees!). It is an extremely complex subject and fast moving. In terms of the estate agent using LLB after his name, well, he's less likely to make a stupid mistake costing his client money, plus, many estate agents also carry out conveyancy, so he may well be carrying out legal work within that company, but tou wouldn't necessarily know that without (guess where this is leading!)...the letters LLB after his name!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending