The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
But saying that, Leuchars went to that PAYG system where everythings being outsourced. Ive seen streams of raf personel going down to the St micheals Inn for meals during the afternoon (bit of a by the by there, but thought the bars where going to be outsourced too)
Reply 21
Wzz
you can't beat having some life around the bar like you do at Leuchars, Leeming .

Oh good. Their UAS's cover two of my choices for uni;St Andrew's and Durham :smile: I'll get to experience Leuchars first hand next summer,and will have to see if I can arrange something for Leeming! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Nikki J S
Oh good. Their UAS's cover two of my choices for uni;St Andrew's and Durham :smile: I'll get to experience Leuchars first hand next summer,and will have to see if I can arrange something for Leeming! :biggrin:

Bear in mind, if that's important, that Leeming's due to lose its jet squadrons fairly soon. Late next year one folds, and the other I imagine won't be long. That leaves you with 100 Sqn, who are probably going to shift as well when that happens...
Reply 23
Wzz
Bear in mind, if that's important, that Leeming's due to lose its jet squadrons fairly soon. Late next year one folds, and the other I imagine won't be long. That leaves you with 100 Sqn, who are probably going to shift as well when that happens...

Oh well, I might not bother then!
Reply 24
Well, picking your uni based on its UAS might not be the smartest move; although I have to admit that's why I actually went where I went, so I can't lecture :wink:

Depends really; I was arriving with pilot sponsorship and wanted the UAS and the RAF to be a big, big part of my uni life; I was happy to sacrifice work for it. I didn't get as good a degree as I perhaps could have, but I did do some great flying and good stuff for my UAS. In my current job, guess which is more important...?

At St. Andrews, you'll be there for 3 years then do 3 at Manchester, so if you're happy with that, it's a lovely place.
Reply 25
Out of interest, what sort of "good stuff" did you get upto on your UAS? :smile:
Reply 26
Wzz
Well, picking your uni based on its UAS might not be the smartest move; although I have to admit that's why I actually went where I went, so I can't lecture :wink:

Depends really; I was arriving with pilot sponsorship and wanted the UAS and the RAF to be a big, big part of my uni life; I was happy to sacrifice work for it. I didn't get as good a degree as I perhaps could have, but I did do some great flying and good stuff for my UAS. In my current job, guess which is more important...?

At St. Andrews, you'll be there for 3 years then do 3 at Manchester, so if you're happy with that, it's a lovely place.

My comment was about arranging work experience, not choice of uni :wink:

I've done some research into both, and also considered the UAS's they're linked with, which is a factor, although not the deciding one, in my choice. I've got to be reasonably happy with both :smile:
Reply 27
JMC
Out of interest, what sort of "good stuff" did you get upto on your UAS? :smile:

Depends what you mean. What did I do to do well? What did we all do that was fun? What did I enjoy most?
Reply 28
Nikki J S
My comment was about arranging work experience, not choice of uni :wink:

Aha.

Well, Leeming's still there, it'll just be getting quieter.
Reply 29
The activities that you done and the things that you thought were good. I heard about skiing trips every year and adventure training in summer and also a week shadowing someone at another RAF base if you were lucky.

Just being nosey really!
Reply 30
All true, depending on your UAS. The opportunities are there, it just depends on whether someone's there who's dedicated and hard working enough to organise ski-ing in the alps, scuba diving in Malta, hiking the Andes... can all be done!

And if you want it, every year you do a Summer Vacation Attachment, allowing you to see what the real RAF's like for a week; all great fun.
Reply 31
Thanks. From the UAS i applied to, the impression the staff gave was excellent, all seemed motivated to do as much as they can for the students and it was very impressive. Maybe that's not always the case?

What did you do to do well on the sqadron?
Reply 32
Difficult to say as it depends on the culture of your particular squadron. Be a good bloke; help other people, work hard at everything, and don't ask for much seems to be a good way to get on.

In the air, be prepared, be respectful of your instructors, and be prepared to work hard.

Latest