The Student Room Group

Certificate of Academic Standing

This is possibly a question for Nana or Simon or anyone else who is actually practising.

Do chambers really consider candidates with "certificates of academic standing" for pupillage? I realise the bar council says this is fine, but they also say a 2.2, or degree from an ex-poly is fine when it no longer seems to be, without a real stuggle. In order to be considered would you have to have a Distinction in your GDL and Outstanding in your BVC? The reason I am asking is it just doesn't seem fair when other mature students sweat their way through P/T degrees for 4 years.

thanks
The Certificate is one which covers Legal Execs or those with a foreign degree. It certifies that the holder has reached an honours standard, or equivalent in their study or work.

I think it depends what the rest of the CV looks like. In my experience, the more mature the candidate, the less the degree result matters - especially if the degree was taken a long time ago. If there was no degree at all then I suspect the magic circle will not be interested, but it should be no bar elsewhere, providing that everything else is as it should be. By way of an example, we once interviewed someone with the certificate and grade 8 piano and oboe. The reckoning was that you had to be fairly bright and conscientious to get to that standard on 2 instruments.

Latest

Trending

Trending