The Student Room Group

Using a book for PS but not mentioning it?

Ok well basically Im writing my PS for LAw and I have read this amazing book just recently on law and alot of the stuff in it has helped me with my PS as it talks about schools of though about law etc and so Im using stuff like the names and ideas of philosophers from this book. Now should I or should I not mention this book as stuff I have read in my PS... i have two others which I will speak of but Im worried that mentioning this book will make them think that I have based it on the one book and that I have in someway stolen some of the idea if you get what I mean!?
If you don't want to/or think that it may in some way disadvantage your application then don't bother... I personally wouldn't...
If you don't mention it, they'll probably notice the similarities between the book and your personal statement, so my advice is to mention it, but make sure the ideas you express in your Personal Statement have been developed well beyond the ideas of the book, so that they are your own ideas.
Reply 3
RightSaidJames
If you don't mention it, they'll probably notice the similarities between the book and your personal statement, so my advice is to mention it, but make sure the ideas you express in your Personal Statement have been developed well beyond the ideas of the book, so that they are your own ideas.

Well for example the book mentions a guy called Hart who says that law is basically a list of rules so in my PS I quote his and say that I think its more and explain what law is to me for example.
QBC123
Well for example the book mentions a guy called Hart who says that law is basically a list of rules so in my PS I quote his and say that I think its more and explain what law is to me for example.

Well that's fine, if you're quoting Hart you don't need to say where you read the quote, and at the end of the day the fact that you've read a book and can talk about the content of it is a major plus, as long as you don't copy and paste straight from the source.

Latest

Trending

Trending