The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone else smell bull****? :biggrin:

Go on, what've you done? You'll get more specific and helpful responses :smile:
depends on the offence.
Reply 3
I don't think you have much protection on a temp contract especially within the first 6 weeks.
Reply 4
i havent done anything ....
its a friend of a friend who knows someone who may have done something like say not go into work a couple of times
do they give you a warning or sack you straight away, the place where the perosn works is like really disorgansised and their name is like hardly ever written down when the meant to work , supposedly. and i was told by the friend its a 3 month contract ending some time in septemeber?
Reply 5
a friend of a friend eh? They should give them warning but i don't think they HAVE to.
Reply 6
Why are you so paranoid?
And yes, you are gonna get fired.
It all depends whether that company has a probation period for new starters if they do then they can be fired straight away, especially if they no show a few times.
Depends what you have done, my brothers company has a staff shop where you can buy all their products really cheap, if you sell on like 1000 mars bars or something you buy there its a sackable offence on the spot.

It should be in your contract what is sackable on the spot
Reply 9
A friend of a friend = oldest trick in the book
Gross Miss Conduct I'd imagine is an automatic sacking.

Other stuff would probably be verbally warnable or more extreme cases, suspendable and then investigated.
Reply 11
Depends on the exact terms of the contract. Notice periods will be detailed in your Colleague handbook. But it is most likely not against the rules if it is a big highstreet retail chain, they will know enough about their contracts and employment law not to f up.
Reply 12
Yea they can. Depending on what u do. I know someone who made a joke about the chineese, and he was fired with no warning a few days later. However, somewhere else i pushed my boss into a freezer and closed it on him. And all he did was come out and hit me with a clipboard. Depends where u work.
phones
i havent done anything ....
its a friend of a friend who knows someone who may have done something like say not go into work a couple of times

a friend of mine got sacked for missing work even though he said he wouldnt be comming in before hand because he was visiting his mum during her chemo session. Anythings possible, but they really should warn you.
It all depends on the situation. A lot of companies say if your attendance drops below x% of your working hours, you can be fired on the spot. So if the 'friend of a friend' only works a day a week, and had 3 days off in the ;last month, that's 25% attenance and yes, you probably will be fired on the spot. :p:
Reply 15
i see
this has been very informative and ill pass it on to the said person involved
thanks guys
Gross misconduct can lead to instant dismissal. Generally everything else requires at least one warning (if not more) before the company will sack you. However, until you have been employed for a period of at least 12 months you do not normally have any redress to an Employment Tribunal for unfair dismissal.
Reply 17
For most temporary contracts they can just fire you on the spot.
She should of had a contract which she signed at the start, why doesn't she just look at that?
Reply 18
he misplaced his contract
Reply 19
yea if you turned up to work wasted.... you'd be sacked on the job, happened to my mate the other day, we had to hide her and put our hand on her mouth when the boss came.

Latest

Trending

Trending