The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
UCL baby. But think about what your next step is and if this choice would affect that next step in any way first.
Reply 41
Pepe Le Poosh

They should have one set of letters for all! Like in america isn't a medical degree and MD everywhere?

What? Next you'll be saying all medical schools are all exactly the same and equally good?! :rolleyes:

*wields tin-opener* :p:
rhythm_bandit
lol is ucl copying imperial and leaving the uol as well??

They're just exercising their rights to award their own degrees. KCL and LSE are doing the same.
Helenia
Londinium, I'd have thought. :wink:

I go for (Lond) for no particularly good reason.

But MA MBBChir (Cantab) definitely has more letters, if we're competing. :p:

Technically, you can be:

B.A. (Hons. Cantab.) M.A. (Cantab.) M.B. B.Chir (Cantab).:cool:

it really takes the piss though.
Reply 44
Comp_Genius
Technically, you can be:

B.A. (Hons. Cantab.) M.A. (Cantab.) M.B. B.Chir (Cantab).:cool:

it really takes the piss though.

Technically, would you bother with that? The M.A. is an honorary upgrade of the B.A., not achievable as a postgrad qualification = unnecessary repetition!
White space is important too... :wink:

If anyone is particularly interested: linky about the bonus MA (Cantab) & superior MA (Oxon).
Elles
Technically, would you bother with that? The M.A. is an honorary upgrade of the B.A., not achievable as a postgrad qualification = unnecessary repetition!
White space is important too... :wink:

If anyone is particularly interested: linky about the bonus MA (Cantab) & superior MA (Oxon).

http://cot.food.gov.uk/membership/members/prjackson

http://www.fda.gov/Cber/advisory/tse/telling.htm

:biggrin:
Reply 46
Everyone forgets BM goddammit.

BM = Bachelor of medicine. Yes I can still be a surgeon.

I'd go with the UCL one. I have no idea why.
Reply 47
According to Wikipedia:

MB ChB are used at the universities of Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Keele, Manchester, Sheffield, and Warwick.
MB BS are used at the University of East Anglia, Hull York Medical School, Imperial College London, the University of London, and Newcastle University.
BM BCh are used at the University of Oxford.
BM BS are used at the University of Nottingham, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, and Brighton Sussex Medical School
BM is awarded at the University of Southampton.
MB BChir are awarded by the University of Cambridge.

They're all equal, obviously. Quite interesting! :smile:
UCL so we can sing;

" U C L Y you ain't got no alibi you UCLY!"

:sass:
Democracy

Surely short for londoniensis?

Londiniensis would be correctly abbreviated to Londin., however there is little tradition for the University of London to use such an abbreviation compared to Oxbridge, Durham, Exeter, York, etc. (especially considering the latter is a modern university).
Beska
According to Wikipedia:

MB ChB are used at the universities of Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Keele, Manchester, Sheffield, and Warwick.
MB BS are used at the University of East Anglia, Hull York Medical School, Imperial College London, the University of London, and Newcastle University.
BM BCh are used at the University of Oxford.
BM BS are used at the University of Nottingham, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, and Brighton Sussex Medical School
BM is awarded at the University of Southampton.
MB BChir are awarded by the University of Cambridge.

They're all equal, obviously. Quite interesting! :smile:

Queens, Belfast uses MB BCh BAO, as do all the other Irish med schools.
Reply 51
ThisLittlePiggy
UCL so we can sing;

" U C L Y you ain't got no alibi you UCLY!"

:sass:

that was cool :biggrin:
wow - how do you transfer to the irish universities for clinicals?

the extra B.A.O. will look well cool after my name!
Haven't read all the posts here, but erm...people actually put the name of their medical school in brackets after their MBBS/MBChB?? :s-smilie: (cant wait to see mine, MBChB (War) (HUH, YEAH, WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR, ABSOLUTELY NUTHIN!:biggrin:)

...ahem. I picked UCL as it's never a bad thing to have UCL in your name. Especially if you're from somewhere like Belgium or Hungary, where those 3 letters commonly appear in names anyway..
Reply 54
londinium i believe is the latin right???? :biggrin:

defo UCL
clank
londinium i believe is the latin right???? :biggrin:

Londinium is the latin for 'London'
Londiniensis is the latin for 'Of London' which is the form used for degrees.
Lond for the reasons I said earlier

Only posting again because just found out I'm BSc (Hons) (Lond) which makes me happy, I like letters

Thanks Spencer
Reply 57
Elles
What? Next you'll be saying all medical schools are all exactly the same and equally good?! :rolleyes:

*wields tin-opener* :p:

Hmmm... Worm-y! :biggrin:
Reply 58
This thread is for toffs.
Reply 59
n1r4v
This thread is for toffs.

right...okay

Latest

Trending

Trending