The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do we still get to choose between UCL and London for our intercalated degrees or do we have to take a UCL one now? This would mean I could eventually be any of:

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(lond) M.B B.S (lond)

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(lond) M.B B.S (ucl)

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(ucl) M.B B.S (lond)

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(ucl) M.B B.S (ucl)

Decisions decisions...
Reply 61
davidthegreat
Do we still get to choose between UCL and London for our intercalated degrees or do we have to take a UCL one now? This would mean I could eventually be any of:

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(lond) M.B B.S (lond)

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(lond) M.B B.S (ucl)

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(ucl) M.B B.S (lond)

Dr David t. Great B.Sc (hons)(ucl) M.B B.S (ucl)

Decisions decisions...

Can you not have this?

Dr David t. Great MBBS BSc
Intercalated degrees are, as of this year, all BSc(UCL).
jjkkll
Can you not have this?

Dr David t. Great MBBS BSc

Well the BSc would come before the MBBS because you get it first.
Of course you don't need to include the bits in brackets, but you could if you wanted (for example, most authors of medical textbooks include them).
Reply 64
Spencer Wells
Well the BSc would come before the MBBS because you get it first.
Of course you don't need to include the bits in brackets, but you could if you wanted (for example, most authors of medical textbooks include them).

why dont you just do that then its much better!!
Beska
According to Wikipedia:

MB ChB are used at the universities of Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Keele, Manchester, Sheffield, and Warwick.
MB BS are used at the University of East Anglia, Hull York Medical School, Imperial College London, the University of London, and Newcastle University.
BM BCh are used at the University of Oxford.
BM BS are used at the University of Nottingham, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, and Brighton Sussex Medical School
BM is awarded at the University of Southampton.
MB BChir are awarded by the University of Cambridge.

They're all equal, obviously. Quite interesting! :smile:

Don't forget MB BCh, awarded in Wales.
Helenia
Londinium, I'd have thought. :wink:

I go for (Lond) for no particularly good reason.

But MA MBBChir (Cantab) definitely has more letters, if we're competing. :p:

MA? :curious:
Helenia
Because then I won't win the letters competition. :rolleyes: It's a fairly academic point anyway; they're not going to be written on anything official for a long time.

I've just had another thought - surely it's a lot more concise/less messy to be able to write BSc MBBS (Lond) than two separate institutions?

If both are lond then you can. or both cantab.

But if like me its MA cantab, MBBS Lond then you canne.
Reply 68
Jamie
MA? :curious:

Well I will be an MA if I manage to stay out of prison/not get divorced for the next 2 years. Same as I will be MBBChir if I pass finals. :wink: Just looking at the end results rather than what I currently have.
Reply 69
What's the MA?
Helenia
Well I will be an MA if I manage to stay out of prison/not get divorced for the next 2 years. Same as I will be MBBChir if I pass finals. :wink: Just looking at the end results rather than what I currently have.

you people annoy me as you don't put the dots between letters. :cool:
Reply 71
Beska
What's the MA?

At Oxbridge your BA converts to an MA automatically about 7 years after matriculating. It's a tradition thing, you don't actually do extra work for it.
Reply 72
Helenia
At Oxbridge your BA converts to an MA automatically about 7 years after matriculating. It's a tradition thing, you don't actually do extra work for it.

That's pretty funny, lol. Why do you have a MA to start with?

I'm really out of the loop here, sorry.
Reply 73
Beska
That's pretty funny, lol. Why do you have a MA to start with?

I'm really out of the loop here, sorry.

I don't, at the moment. I have a BA because it's compulsory to do an intercalated year here, and it's not a BSc because all Cambridge degrees are BA. But in 2010 it will convert to an MA.
Helenia

Well why not add MRCP/MRCS etc to it as well whilst you're at it..? :tongue:
Reply 75
Jamie
Well why not add MRCP/MRCS etc to it as well whilst you're at it..? :tongue:

Because I don't know which one of those I want to do yet! :p:
Are you one of those people who has Dr x put on their stethoscope/labcoat from year 1? *has heard stories about them* :colone:

:p:
Reply 77
Just had a thought... If you chose UCL does that preclude you from being awarded any UoL distinctions etc?
Reply 78
Democracy
Are you one of those people who has Dr x put on their stethoscope/labcoat from year 1? *has heard stories about them* :colone:

:p:

Nah, that would just be completely lame. And lying. But I'm only going to be BA MBBChir for a few months, so thought I'd use the final version instead. Didn't mean to open up this can of worms!
Fluffy
Just had a thought... If you chose UCL does that preclude you from being awarded any UoL distinctions etc?

I'm not sure. Our exams are internally set, so I imagine that my awards will still remain, but I wouldn't be eligible for the gold medal I don't think.

Latest