The Student Room Group

Please help- A level choices-maths or biology?!?

Sorry if I am posting a thread similar to a couple of others, but am really really struggling to pick my A levels.:woo:
I have so far decided to do French, English Lit and History. The last subject is either going to be Maths or Biology- no idea which.
I have been advised to do maths over biology- is it more respected/ shows better skills? Will it affect my uni app/ or even jobs if I pick bio?
I really want to do both, but don't fancy tackling 5 A levels- would rather do four properly. I think in terms of personal preference I would go with biology, although I know it is not in terms of a career plan because I would probably need another science if I were to go down that route.
At GCSE I got 11A* and an A
Will biology be odd and pointless along with 3 arts? What do you think of the choices: french, eng lit and hist?

Sorry to ramble- thanks for your help in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I think Biology looks a bit out of place with your other A-levels.. Maths is more of a balanced subject.. But it doesn't really matter, do what you enjoy.
Reply 2
Maths is better, opens up alot of jobs. Bio is just remember loads of facts. There is no real problem solving. The cw looks boring too, counting bubbles from a plant.
Reply 3
if you are going into medicine then ofcourse do biology... i dint live in england so i dont know the university requirments there but in canada maths is compulsory for university admissions.... i got A* both in bio and math in my gcses but i did alevel maths and enjoyed it like anything scoring an A... if you can choose any of the two then my choice would be math... math is easier and requires common sense and practise whereas biology is hard and requires alot of memmorization
Reply 4
Meganish
I really want to do both

There's your answer :p: If you feel like you wont get really good results you can always drop one.
Reply 5
Thanks, looks like maths is going to be the more sensible option- but I enjoy biology loads too- tough decision- does it matter if it is out of place with my other choices?
Reply 6
It depends what you want to do later on really. I chose English Lit, History, Chemistry, and Biology but I also had a choice to make between one of the sciences and Maths. I chose my mix to keep doors open and out of interest. There is no point doing an A level you won't enjoy as much since you won't be motivated to do well. I'd say choose Biology. Just because it looks a strange choice doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, it just means you have a more interesting set of A levels, and a bit of variation in the type of work you get is good in breaking up the monotony.
Reply 7
I would say maths for its usefulness, but you've really got to think whether you want to do it. It sounds to me like you want to do biology much more than maths and if so, go for it, theres no point doing an AS level that you aren't enjoying just in case it might be a bit more useful. As long as whatever you want to do later doesn't involve maths of course :smile:.

(But I would choose maths every time, hate biology :wink: )
Reply 8
I've did both at A level and personally, I'd recommend maths. I think it's easier and it will probably be more useful for Uni application.
Reply 9
Meganish
I think in terms of personal preference I would go with biology

Take biology then! :biggrin: It won't look odd at all with your other choices, a contrasting subject will look good and make you stand out. Bio and maths are both respected and I doubt either would be more useful than the other for an arts degree, so take what you enjoy. :smile:

Latest