The Student Room Group

A-level choices & Oxbridge [PLEASE HELP]

Poll

Drop which subject?

I currently am finding it difficult to decide which choices for a-levels that I should choose for a law/medicine career [I haven't decided which i have wanted to pursue]. Yet I also want to keep my choices open!

So far.. I have:

History
English
Chem
Biology
Maths

But I need to cut it down to only 4 choices.

I am also looking for maybe applying for Oxbridge so what a-level choices do you recommend for me?

Please help and thank you! :yep:

Scroll to see replies

Kill history
maybe get rid of maths? Then you will have 2 essay based and 2 sciency?
If you want to keep your options open for both Law and Medicine then i would get rid of maths as it's the only one that isn't required (/especially useful) for either course
Reply 4
drop one of history or english, some oxbridge colleges like you to have 3 sciences for med (maths is included as a secience) and maths is also seen as usefull for law sometimes :smile:
Probably Maths. I'm not too sure how much emphasis is placed on Maths or FM for Medicine but drop if it's not essential.
Get rid of english, you have 2 sciences and maths for medicine (+ other sciency careers, and maths which is useful for loads of other things) and History is probably most related to law. Although there are some med schools that accept just Chemistry..
Reply 7
If you're going for Oxbridge medicine then swap History and English for another science. For Law make sure that English is English Literature, not Language.

Abide by this list:
A-level combinations
Even though it's for Trinity College Cambridge, other colleges will have similar views.
Reply 8
Bye Bye Maths :smile:
Reply 9
To make sure that you don't close the door on medicine(lol), drop either english or history. This means you can still do law if you want, or medicine.
I'd lose english, as history i a lot of reference stuff which is good for law, and maths is a subject universally liked by oxbridge.
Reply 11
Drop English or History and keep the other 3. THis keeps your options open most
Adhavan
If you want to keep your options open for both Law and Medicine then i would get rid of maths as it's the only one that isn't required (/especially useful) for either course

I agree
star_5
To make sure that you don't close the door on medicine(lol), drop either english or history. This means you can still do law if you want, or medicine.

I don't think you can do law without english.
Reply 14
Ok.. so, right now I'm mainly looking at english or maths.

Thanks to all who have posted!

And continue posting for help if you can ^_^

And another Q;

Is english essential for law? Or is maths more important for medicine?
Reply 15
I was in a similar situation and you should remember that law does not have any specific requirements and people have gained entry into Oxbridge with maths and science alone.

However, today with even more competitiveness, you should have at least one strong essay-based subject for a law application, such as history, English lit., philosophy or RS.

For medicine with the competition of today, three science/maths subjects are a must - so I recommend dropping either history or English and keeping the three science/maths there.

This is based on admissions advice, not just on subject preference like some people have posted! :p:
Can I ask- which english?
If it's english language then do not take it! whatever you want to be! :p:
I've really liked doing maths but I'd say drop that otherwise.
Reply 17
So you're applying to "Oxbridge" for "Law or Medicine"?

GTFO.

Reply 18
Concentrate more on medicine as you can get into the field of law even with a science degree in hand. You CANNOT lose chem or bio. Maths is always useful. Check out the websites of oxford and cambridge uni's to see which subject (English or history) is more useful for law.
Cloudyy
Ok.. so, right now I'm mainly looking at english or maths.

Thanks to all who have posted!

And continue posting for help if you can ^_^

And another Q;

Is english essential for law? Or is maths more important for medicine?

Maths is not essential or even necessary for medicine at all - whereas english lit would certainly look good on a law application

Latest