The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dancingshoes10
Mmmm actually if you want to study Law they LOVE you to have Maths.

I have never heard this before

To be fair i don't know that many people who have gone to read law but out of 6, only 1 of them had maths
Reply 41
This is to both Cloudyy and HCD: Can we try to stop the pedantic arguing or take it to PM please? If there's any more, I'll close the thread.
Reply 42
I would drop history. I would think that for medicine, having three sciences would be more of an advantage, than the hindrance of only having one essay-based subject for law.
Reply 43
OhNO!
I would drop history. I would think that for medicine, having three sciences would be more of an advantage, than the hindrance of only having one essay-based subject for law.

Exactly.
Reply 44
HCD
No; that you're an over-competitive prestige whore who, upon his nigh-on-inevitable rejection, will be filling out the forms for subsequent reapplication. You're far from alone in your "I WUNTS TO DO OXBRIDGE LAW OR MEDICINE" attitude, and people like you make me sick.

Remind me to +rep you tomorrow. Nail on the head, right there.
Reply 45
An important point:

English Literature is considered far better (from an Oxbridge point of view) than English Language.
Reply 46
Drop History. Take English lit.
There usually arent specific requirements for law other than an essay based subject, if you want to keep your med option open then maths would probably be quite good to keep.
Despite the Poll - if you want to do medicine you will HAVE to have chemistry.
Reply 48
drop history. take english lit. :smile:

(woops I voted drop english- ignore that!!)
dont drop Maths,its the base for almost all the degrees.even though u want to do medicine,bio is not necessary. i would drop bio
Reply 50
if it's English language kill it. if not, then history maybe?
Keep your options open and ditch bio
Reply 52
HCD
No; that you're an over-competitive prestige whore who, upon his nigh-on-inevitable rejection, will be filling out the forms for subsequent reapplication. You're far from alone in your "I WUNTS TO DO OXBRIDGE LAW OR MEDICINE" attitude, and people like you make me sick.

Ignoring the overt bluntness, I'm inclined to agree with this post.

I imagine you don't have a genuine interest in/passion for both courses (though I'm willing to stand corrected) so why try applying for both? Why not find a course you really do have an interest in, or alternatively select the one of the two you have more interest in and adjust your A Levels accordingly. Oxbridge and Law/Medicine aren't the be all and end all.
Reply 53
Student070707
Keep your options open and ditch bio

That's pretty much closing off medicine (only 2 science subjects, without bio).

Not having lit/history won't disadvantage a Law application.
DaveJ
I disagree. They just want academically rigorous subjects for Law. I know a guy who got in with just one essay subject.

Yeah and i know someone who got into medicine with only chemistry but such examples should not be used to base decisions on - they are exceptions to the 'rule' rather than defining cases
Reply 55
history is interesting and can be your essay subject , maths is generally seen to be a harder a-level and well bio and chem go hand in hand, so personally i'd drop english as it seemed to me to be all about speech patterns and plus you need to be kind of creative.
Reply 56
DaveJ
I disagree. They just want academically rigorous subjects for Law. I know a guy who got in with just one essay subject.

That's absolutely ridiculous, sorry. I'm in no way saying that you're going to be at a severe disadvantage if the contrary occurs, but they'd obviously prefer subjects applicable to law.

Put it this way, Art, English Lit, and Music for a Nuclear Physicist? :no:
Reply 57
Selkarn
That's absolutely ridiculous, sorry. I'm in no way saying that you're going to be at a severe disadvantage if the contrary occurs, but they'd obviously prefer subjects applicable to law.

Put it this way, Art, English Lit, and Music for a Nuclear Physicist? :no:

No need for the ridiculously patronising smily.

Physics needs ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE of physics and maths.

Law doesn't need assumed knowledge of history and english.

They could well be useful, but so would science subjects.
Reply 58
DaveJ
No need for the ridiculously patronising smily.

Physics needs ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE of physics and maths.

Law doesn't need assumed knowledge of history and english.

They could well be useful, but so would science subjects.

Ok, put it this way. Learning and practising law you're absolutely not going to need to know much about, say, the structure of a quark (physics). On the other hand, it would be damn useful for you to know about how the government works (politics), for example.
Reply 59
I think any institution would look favourably upon both English OR history for a law degree. They both show a degree of analytical ability. It depends on what the OP wants to get from one of these subjects though; History would be good for analysing sources with knowledge about a specific period of time, whereas English would be good for building up analytical skills to see how your build up an effective text and what makes a text ineffective. Both have their pros and neither rules out a successful application.

Latest