The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, it's a fine subject.
Maths would look better, but Psychology is not a soft subject. It has one of the biggest workloads of all the A Levels, it can be very hard in parts, there's a lot to learn and understand, and at no point can you sail through. However, Medicine is a very competitive course to get into, and the vast majority of candidates will have 3 Sciences, 2 Sciences and Maths, or even 3 Sciences and Maths. If he doesn't think that he'll be able to get an A/A* in Maths then he shouldn't carry on with it, but if he can, he should.
Reply 82
Sapphire_Eyes
Uni's look for other things other then grades.

Need the work experience, a good personal statement and if he gets an interview then have a good impression on then. Psychology is ok, not a first i would of thought off but there is a lot of maths in it so it should be ok.

Why wont he do all 4?

maths is not his strongest subject i guess. but if he does do 4 A2's will his offer be 'AAAA' (4 subjects) or just 'AAA' (3 subjects) ???
abu.10
maths is not his strongest subject i guess. but if he does do 4 A2's will his offer be 'AAAA' (4 subjects) or just 'AAA' (3 subjects) ???

It will be AAA, unis rarely give AAAA as that would be unfair on people who chose to do 4 for their own benefit. However, they're likely to specify subjects, so my guess would be they'd say "AAA including Maths".. but then again, they might not.
Maths doesn't give any advantage at the vast majority of universities. As long as you have chemistry and bioology then you'll be fine. A few med schools, including UCL, give preference to applicants doing a humanities/arts subject in addition to two sciences.
Reply 85
RightSaidJames
Maths would look better, but Psychology is not a soft subject. It has one of the biggest workloads of all the A Levels, it can be very hard in parts, there's a lot to learn and understand, and at no point can you sail through. However, Medicine is a very competitive course to get into, and the vast majority of candidates will have 3 Sciences, 2 Sciences and Maths, or even 3 Sciences and Maths. If he doesn't think that he'll be able to get an A/A* in Maths then he shouldn't carry on with it, but if he can, he should.
I sailed through psychology and didnt think there was anything to understand.

However, for some reason it's not viewed as a soft subject. And I don't think maths will look better either.
Saffie
I sailed through psychology and didnt think there was anything to understand.

However, for some reason it's not viewed as a soft subject. And I don't think maths will look better either.

Good for you. By the end I was doing the same, as you kind of learn to apply the theories and their criticisms to any situation, so there's less to learn. And I didn't have problems understanding much, but that was because I paid attention 99% of the time.
Reply 87
okok....

but surely many medicine students would have maths at A-level and it must be a prefered subject. in fact at Uni of Birmingham they mentioned that Phycology overlapped a bit with Biology (dont ask me to explain i don't do the subjects).

...or is

- Biology, Chemistry & Phycology at A level really as good as
- Biology, Chemistry & Maths at A-level.

it is medicine after all... should he just do all 4???
Reply 88
unis want the chemistry and biology, most of them don't mind what the 3rd subject is and there is no need to do a 4th
Would i still get in to at least the top 15 unis for medicine if have no A* at gcse, only 1 A and that was is Science double award. :frown::frown: or will i have to go to some crappy uni.
I am definately doing Bio, Chem, Chinese (not in school), Maths, and am allowed to/want to do one more AS level! What should I take?
It would be mostly self studied - however :frown: timetabling has double crossed me :frown::frown::frown:

Anyway:
1. I would probably try out physics but I won't be able to do the coursework/practical since I am self studying this AS level . . . is there any way to do it without the coursework?

2. I am quite interested in Economics, would this strengthen my application? would I seem more well-rounded? Or would it be a waste of time?

Any other suggestions?
Edit: Most ridiculous comment I have ever wrote.
Ekpyrotic
Edit: Most ridiculous comment I have ever wrote.

and it was . . ?
Reply 93
CrimsonButterfly
I am definately doing Bio, Chem, Chinese (not in school), Maths, and am allowed to/want to do one more AS level! What should I take?
It would be mostly self studied - however :frown: timetabling has double crossed me :frown::frown::frown:

Anyway:
1. I would probably try out physics but I won't be able to do the coursework/practical since I am self studying this AS level . . . is there any way to do it without the coursework?

2. I am quite interested in Economics, would this strengthen my application? would I seem more well-rounded? Or would it be a waste of time?

Any other suggestions?

Phyiscs because it is the BEST :biggrin:

Or if you really can't, how about Further Maths to A2? :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you said to AS ... well ... do Further Maths AS :biggrin:
4 AS Levels is enough for Medicine; however, if you really WANT to do a fifth, then I'd advise you to just do a subject you think you'd enjoy. I think out of Physics/Economics, Economics would look better as it shows you're well rounded.
AJ-24
Phyiscs because it is the BEST :biggrin:

Or if you really can't, how about Further Maths to A2? :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you said to AS ... well ... do Further Maths AS :biggrin:

but i thought med schools didn't count FM and Maths as seperate AS levels, would there be any point?
Reply 96
Honestly, its completely up to you.

Take whatever you find the most interesting. You meet the requirements for med, you'll find no subject that'll give you any advantage.
thanks for the replies so far!
Reply 98
CrimsonButterfly
but i thought med schools didn't count FM and Maths as seperate AS levels, would there be any point?

Well in all fairness, I never applied to any med school :smile:

However, they are separate, but i suppose if they don't count it, its probably not worth it. If you can manage to do it .. I'd reccommend it though, it'll help with maths (and physics, but you're not doing that :p: )

For my AS's, i did Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English Language, Further Maths, and General Studies.

(But nowhere counts general studies :biggrin:)
Do Economics if you're interested in it?

Latest

Trending

Trending