The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I stayed at St. John's on the open day and it was a shared bathroom between 4 (for first years).
Reply 2
necessarily benevolent
I stayed at St. John's on the open day and it was a shared bathroom between 4 (for first years).

St John's does not offer single en-suite rooom?..
Which colleges of Oxford offer single en-suite room? As I can't find any information about that on their webpages and I want to have more privacy..
Reply 3
Not thaaat many colleges do (due to a lot of first year accommodation being on site, and most being built a many many years ago and all being single sex so shared bathrooms were never really an issue).

The only one that springs to mind is St Catz but im sure there must be others?
Most of Keble's are either ensuite, and the few that are not are shared between just two people.

Many, if not most colleges have ensuite rooms. That goes without saying.

The real questions are
a) At what point are they available? Do fresher's have a chance, or will it just be 3rd years?
b) Are these on site, or at a college annex or separate building?
c) What buildings are these in? Many ensuite rooms will be in ugly, and often unsightly modern buildings, although some colleges manage to have them in their old buildings.
d) And most importantly, how many are there? Is it just a handful, or does the college have an entire building or hallway full of them?
Lincoln on site as first years and third years do, but you may be unlucky in your first year and end up across they road where they share and second years share too.

Sharing is fine.
Reply 6
Magdalen you won't get one in your first year. You have a 50% chance of being high enough in the ballot to choose one in your second year and can always have one if you want in your third. There are a lot of much nicer non-en-suite rooms though.
Reply 7
Balliol has now done something hilariously impractical with staircase 22 where they have stuck toilets in all the rooms. It'll probably be fine, and better for conferences, but me and a friend couldn't stop giggling about it when we tried to think out the logistics of having someone back to your room...then getting out the bed...walking one foot...going into your tiny, thin-walled bathroom...and having them hear EVERYTHING. Because you can hear EVERYTHING throughout the staircase - there's this weird piping thing where you sit in the toilet, and hear conversations from someone's room at the other end of the hall and up two floors. Admittedly we were very drunk at the time, but when I sat on the bed, and he went and stood where the toilets will be in his already tiny tiny room, we were literally about a foot and a half apart, and it just seemed really unpleasant and funny all of a sudden.

There are also some real ensuites in Staircase 2, but if ensuites are your thing, Balliol probably isn't for you.
Reply 8
Then what about single rooms? Do St john or Magdalen offer single rooms?
I really desire a single room.. (don't want to share a room with others...)
As far as I know, most freshers at Mansfield are given small rooms with en-suite bathrooms, but a minority are given larger rooms (originally doubles) with a bathroom that's shared between about four or five people.
Reply 10
bennycy

As far as I know there are no shared rooms at Magdalen and virtually none anywhere in Oxford. The closest most colleges come is having your own bedroom and then sharing a living room and/or bathroom.
Reply 11
St. John's: 100% singles, 0% en-suites, or near enough to make no difference.

Seriously, en-suites are not worth it. Much better to have the extra floor space and a bathroom 8 ft from your door. You'll also quickly learn that kitchens are much more important.
Reply 12
I don't know anyone who's shared a room with someone in oxford.
Reply 13
About half, maybe more, of Worcester's rooms are ensuite. The Provost is determined to get as many rooms ensuite as possible for conferences. And some of them are quite roomy as well. If that's your thing.
Reply 14
Mayfly
Balliol has now done something hilariously impractical with staircase 22 where they have stuck toilets in all the rooms. It'll probably be fine, and better for conferences, but me and a friend couldn't stop giggling about it when we tried to think out the logistics of having someone back to your room...then getting out the bed...walking one foot...going into your tiny, thin-walled bathroom...and having them hear EVERYTHING. Because you can hear EVERYTHING throughout the staircase - there's this weird piping thing where you sit in the toilet, and hear conversations from someone's room at the other end of the hall and up two floors. Admittedly we were very drunk at the time, but when I sat on the bed, and he went and stood where the toilets will be in his already tiny tiny room, we were literally about a foot and a half apart, and it just seemed really unpleasant and funny all of a sudden.

There are also some real ensuites in Staircase 2, but if ensuites are your thing, Balliol probably isn't for you.

Have they actually done that to 22 now? What about showers? It is the most ridiculous idea - if they'd spent the money actually doing the shared facilities up, replastering/painting the rooms, and replacing some of the furniture, it would have been far better. Then again, I was on 20, the lesser of the two 1960s evils.

I also really don't get the idea of knocking down 20 and replacing it with a lecture theatre etc.

Incidentally, there are also ensuites on 12, which are mostly massive sets, from what I've seen. They're also bloody expensive.
bennycy

The vast majority of rooms in Oxford are single, if not virtually all. You may share bathrooms, living areas, kitchens etc. but certainly not the bedroom, but there may be some alternative provision for couples or other who choose shared rooms, but you certainly will not be assigned one.
thomasjtl
I don't know anyone who's shared a room with someone in oxford.

First years at Wadham do - my friend had kind of a main room which was shared with someone else and they both had teeny tiny little rooms off that which basically just had a bed in them.
Reply 17
There are some ensuite rooms at LMH which seem rather sturdily built, but as I understand it they account for less than half of all the rooms in college.

Having done both ensuite and 'normal' rooms, anyway, I'd still probably recommend going for the normal room. Ensuites have too much stuff in them (piping etc) meaning that there's more stuff to potentially go wrong, and most people are perfectly reasonable and usually have normal standards of hygiene, so there's really absolutely no reason to worry about sharing a bathroom.
Reply 18
cpchem
Have they actually done that to 22 now? What about showers? It is the most ridiculous idea - if they'd spent the money actually doing the shared facilities up, replastering/painting the rooms, and replacing some of the furniture, it would have been far better. Then again, I was on 20, the lesser of the two 1960s evils.

I also really don't get the idea of knocking down 20 and replacing it with a lecture theatre etc.

Incidentally, there are also ensuites on 12, which are mostly massive sets, from what I've seen. They're also bloody expensive.

Oh god, I forgot to mention that part - not only is there a toilet and hopefully sink, but also a shower in this one-metre-squared box. Delightful. I also forgot the ensuites in 12 - they are massive. My friend's boyfriend's bathroom was probably bigger than my actual room. And unlike my room, it had a carpet.

I think the pods (uggggh STUPIDNAME) are in now...maybe not, but they were originally hoping to do it this summer.

Also, I agree with Angelil - what can be an annoying quirk in a communal bathroom can quickly become really horrible when it's in your room. For instance, the toilet on my floor used to spurt when you flushed it. As in, it threw water back up at you, onto your shoes. That was only just bearable in an easily avoided bathroom, I would NOT have cared for it doing that onto my floor.

Or, in the case of Balliol's pods, into my shower.

And my floor.
Agrippina
First years at Wadham do - my friend had kind of a main room which was shared with someone else and they both had teeny tiny little rooms off that which basically just had a bed in them.

The Oxford set, but you still don't share your bedroom, just a sitting room/study, which is no different to sharing a living room really.

Latest