Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Primary v Secondary v Higher Education teaching

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: What level would you rather teach at?
    Primary School
    42.86%
    Secondary School
    14.29%
    Higher Education
    42.86%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    During my two years at sixth form I've done mentored with children who have learning difficulties, been a dinner time assistant at a school for disabled children and tutored an AS student in Spanish. I've really enjoyed it and decided I want to teach modern languages after uni

I can't decide what level to teach at. Obviously I've got ages to decide but I'd appreciate any advice from someone. Which would you rather teach at..?

Primary school - I like the atnosphere at primary schools and am good with younger children. Plus, they are introducing modern languages in primary schools soon I think. However, I wouldn't really get to teach the subject in much depth and am worried about losing my fluency in the languages.

Secondary school - I don't really like the atmosphere at secondary schools and I wouldn't really enjoy teaching kids who don't want to learn and are nasty. It seems a bit thankless although someone correct me if I'm wrong :o:

Sixth Form/College - I like the idea of smaller classes and teaching people who actually want to learn, plus using my languages more. I don't think you really build a bond like in primary school though :rolleyes:

So, don't keep to modern languages if you don't want. I'm just asking in general, which level would you prefer to teach at? Sorry if this has already been done - I don't really frequent the teaching section much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same boat as you. I would teach English if i chose Secondary, so i wouldnt lose much of my "subject area" whereas i understand where you are coming from. I personally would prefer the Primary. Mainly due to the atmosphere and the kids. They want to learn. Secondary "young adults" are too grown up these days and dont usually want to be there = trouble!!

Follow your heart though. Instincts are always correct. Hope this helps!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    From your post, you sound like you're already veering towards Sixth form!!

You will get a bond with your students - You're seeing them.. 4 times a week? More? You might get a tutor group too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree that you seem suited to Sixth form.
    I think that lots of students have close relationships with their teachers at sixth form.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My dad decided to go into secondary education, after having spent years in middle management and IT. I never understood this decision. In primary education, you've got new, adventurous minds. In higher education, you've got decent young people truly keen to learn. In secondary school you've got scummy ****tards who are ungrateful for the mammoth effort you put in despite their constant attempts to undermine you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    My dad decided to go into secondary education, after having spent years in middle management and IT. I never understood this decision. In primary education, you've got new, adventurous minds. In higher education, you've got decent young people truly keen to learn. In secondary school you've got scummy ****tards who are ungrateful for the mammoth effort you put in despite their constant attempts to undermine you.
    :listen: You get "scummy ****tards who are ungrateful for the mammoth effort you put in despite their constant attempts to undermine you" in primary school and (sometimes) higher education establishments too. Try spending some time in a primary school :eek:

Personally I teach secondary and I would go for secondary if I were you - primary schools are going to be 'leasing' MFL teachers from secondary schools in coming years when the MFL primary requirement first comes in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for all of your replies! They've given me more to think about. Does anyone know if the salaries vary hugely between the levels?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    Hi, thanks for all of your replies! They've given me more to think about. Does anyone know if the salaries vary hugely between the levels?
    You'll be on the Main Pay Scale for both primary and secondary so no difference there. Not sure about further education establishments but I'd imagine they're similar.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2008
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.