The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

English Language as AS Level is possibly the worst course in the world.
So much so that it makes you want to die inside.
Please, I beg you, do not take it!
Reply 21
english lit has traditionally been considered more prestigious.. and if you like to read books then take it! i cant stress how different to GCSE i found english language.. so i ended up swapping back to english lit and really liked it.
english language you could approach more like a science.. etymology, semantics, grammar.. i found it all a bit dry. whereas you can utilise english language ideas in english lit but also critical interpretations of texts.. so lit is the best of both worlds!
Reply 22
Whichever one you enjoy the most. I'd pick spanish.
Okay, I'm going to ask if I can do 5 A levels.
Electric_Dreams
English Language as AS Level is possibly the worst course in the world.
So much so that it makes you want to die inside.
Please, I beg you, do not take it!

english language is really interesting. just quite hard.
Plus, do not do 5, it's not worth it.
I Have No Imagination
Won't 5 A levels be a lot pressure? I'm determined to do the work, but I just dont think I'm that clever to do 5 A levels.

Yea, but it would only be for a month or two before you decide which one to drop. If you can't make the decision now, you might regret it if you chose another at this point. At least in a few months after you've tested the water a bit you can be really sure of which you want to drop.

You never know, you might even be able to handle the workload!
SpiritedAway
english language is really interesting. just quite hard.

It is a matter of opinion of course, but nearly everyone I know has hated it and not learnt much. I just found it very boring analysing rail cards and looking at 40 year old research. =/
Reply 28
I wouldn't advise taking 5. You'll really need to be getting the highets marks possible for medicine, and so 5 will probably affect that.
Reply 29
Amy_J
English Literature. It might help you gain that imagination you seem to be lacking.

That said, if she really does lack the aforementioned imagination she may not fare too well.
I Have No Imagination
Won't 5 A levels be a lot pressure? I'm determined to do the work, but I just dont think I'm that clever to do 5 A levels.

It's all about how much work you do, I can't see how you wont be clever enough. :yep:

Why don't you start with 5 and drop one after a while that you like the least/dislike?
afua12
I wouldn't advise taking 5. You'll really need to be getting the highets marks possible for medicine, and so 5 will probably affect that.

:ditto:
People who studied 5 at my sixth form suffered when it came to the results.
Whatever your intelligence, it is a hard thing to pull off.
Electric_Dreams
It's all about how much work you do, I can't see how you wont be clever enough. :yep:

Why don't you start with 5 and drop one after a while that you like the least/dislike?

Yes, thank you, that is a good idea. I can always drop it if I can't handle it, right?
Electric_Dreams
:ditto:
People who studied 5 at my sixth form suffered when it came to the results.
Whatever your intelligence, it is a hard thing to pull off.

What if I work really hard from day 1, and I don't mind working extremely hard.
I Have No Imagination
Yes, thank you, that is a good idea. I can always drop it if I can't handle it, right?

Of course you can, you just have to make sure your time table will allow the combination for that period. :yy:
Reply 35
Don't worry, read the thread wrong :P
I Have No Imagination

Yeah, go for it! :yep:
If you're struggling, just drop one.
I Have No Imagination

but there is a LOT of work for both literature and languages (and i should know because i do both lit. and German) and it is quite hard to manage both subjects when there is so much work and such tight deadlines. especially against other subjects. 5 will be just too much to handle.
SpiritedAway
but there is a LOT of work for both literature and languages (and i should know because i do both lit. and German) and it is quite hard to manage both subjects when there is so much work and such tight deadlines. especially against other subjects. 5 will be just too much to handle.

Yes, but I have no other option, because I just cannot choose, unless I flip a coin.
it might be though that your school has option boxes. we have them. it's where when you sign up for your courses, all of the subjects are in certain boxes, and you can't pick two from the same box. this is to stop clashes.

Latest