The Student Room Group

do better in A-levels than GCSE's??

i did (only in my AS so far) and was just wondering who else did.

at GCSE: i got 1A* (in history) and 8B's....

at AS: i got AAAB in History, Law, Politics and Spanish (in that order)

-spanish is my best grade as i only got a B in it at GCSE :smile:

so who else did the same as me and did better in their A/AS levels than their GCSE's???

also... if you were born in august like me, please say so because i think this may be the reason i peaked so late :s-smilie:

doing A2 History, Politics and Spanish btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
abu.10
ialso... if you were born in august like me, please say so because i think this may be the reason i peaked so late :s-smilie:

What? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
I was born in July. At GCSE I got A*A*A*AAAAAAA and at AS I got AAAA (average 90%), so I don't know if that counts as an improvement or not.
Reply 3
I guess I did - only got 3A* 7A for GCSE - but got 4A's & 2 AEA Distinctions at A2 - one of the A's was in History which I only got an A for at GCSE... Conversely there were quite a few people at my school that got 6A*s or more and then buggered up their AS and A2s. I suppose it just depends what sort of study you're most suited to - GCSE is just fact learning - and AS and A2 require a bit more analysis and interpretation...
Reply 4
Draconis
What? :s-smilie:

lol okok, cause if you were born in august you would be one of the youngest in your academic year, as the school year starts in september. i was 11 months younger than a lot of other people... so i blame this on why i peaked late.
Reply 5
abu.10
lol okok, cause if you were born in august you would be one of the youngest in your academic year, as the school year starts in september. i was 11 months younger than a lot of other people... so i blame this on why i peaked late.

Oh, that makes sense. I thought you were talking about astrology or something. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
i got straght A's and a* in my gcse's and only ABBC in A levels. so went down quite a bit with the grades
Reply 7
i got AABBBCCDE at GCSE, came out of Alevel with AAA so yea i improved, more because i actually worked at Alevel.
Yeah definately, A-level you become more enthused by your chosen subjects
Yeah, I got pretty average GCSE's, but then did well at A-level. I worked sooo much harder once i'd sent off my UCAS and new I was going to Uni though. :smile:

GCSE's: AAABBBBCCCCC
A-Levels: AAAB
Reply 10
GCSE: 11 A*, 1 B
AS: aaaaab (b in general studies)

I'm born in september though so thats cheating?
I was born in August, but it wasn't anything to do with peaking. I went from incredibly lazy to just lazy.

GCSE: 2A*, 5A, 4B
AS: aaaa (average 97%)
I got 4 A* 4 A and 4 B and got AABBC at AS. I also did the B to B thing in Spanish.
I did

GCSE: 4A*s 5As 1B
AS : AAAA :P averaged 261 UMS but that should go up one i retake two particular modules.
Reply 14
abu.10

also... if you were born in august like me, please say so because i think this may be the reason i peaked so late :s-smilie:

That is rubbish
Reply 15
I'm still about to start my A Levels but I hope to God that I do better than I did at GCSEs.
Reply 16
boy
That is rubbish

maybe, but its a logical excuse
abu.10
maybe, but its a logical excuse

Not really, anyone born between January and August has had exactly the same amount of education. And the younger you start education, the more you should (theoretically) take stuff in. Like learning languages younger is easier.

And anyone between Sept. and January has only had 3 months extra education.
Reply 18
A Stranger in Moscow
Not really, anyone born between January and August has had exactly the same amount of education. And the younger you start education, the more you should (theoretically) take stuff in. Like learning languages younger is easier.

And anyone between Sept. and January has only had 3 months extra education.

yeh i could never take stuff in, maybe its the way i learnt. i got 4/4/3 in yr6 SATs... under average in englsh (SATs are usless btw)
abu.10
yeh i could never take stuff in, maybe its the way i learnt. i got 4/4/3 in yr6 SATs... under average in englsh (SATs are usless btw)

They're a vaguely good way of tracking your progress.

If it helps, I'm old (November) and I took my year 9 SATs in year 2 and did very well thank you very much, but only got 4 A* and one A at A level so...I'm getting worse and worse all the time :wink: At least the young'uns are improving when it matters. :yep:

Latest