The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not applying for medicine nor do I have any knowledge of medicine applications but I assume statistics would be more useful.
Reply 2
it doesn't matter which you do. mechanics will compliment physics but i think it's harder than stats.
Reply 3
Mechanics is great for physics - but unless you're doing f.maths, then take sats. Every question in mechanics begins with "a particle moves in a straight line..." - suicide material.
Reply 4
DeanK2
Mechanics is great for physics - but unless you're doing f.maths, then take sats. Every question in mechanics begins with "a particle moves in a straight line..." - suicide material.

No I havent taken further maths, heard that isnt valued so much for medicine.
I dont mind doing a harder course provided it is substantially recognized over the other.
Reply 5
doesnt matter at all, do stats thou as it is easier (much easier if you did it at gcse)
Reply 6
If mechanics is real hard (which i gather from the above posts) and does not have a substantial benefit for a medicine course, then i dont see the reason to take it.
Anyone thinks otherwise?
Reply 7
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not maths again! :eek:
Reply 8
I'd say stats is more useful in life, and probably in medicine. As far as I was concerned they were pretty equal in terms of difficulty, but pretty different.
Reply 9
Stats, since most Doctors analyse lots of results from blood tests, etc
Reply 10
Diaz
Stats, since most Doctors analyse lots of results from blood tests, etc
Stats helps you with this?
If you are doing Physics, the first mechanics modules will give you a significantly lighter workload than statistics. That said, both modules would have applications when you come to studying for your degree. Mechanics helps with biomechanics presumably, and statistics has applications rooted in many aspects of medicine.
Reply 12
Gypsy King
If you are doing Physics, the first mechanics modules will give you a significantly lighter workload than statistics. That said, both modules would have applications when you come to studying for your degree. Mechanics helps with biomechanics presumably, and statistics has applications rooted in many aspects of medicine.

From what i can gather you are saying that the reason i am doing physics. mechanics will probably be easier but stats is more usefull in medicine.
Others think so as well?
krit_dw
From what i can gather you are saying that the reason i am doing physics. mechanics will probably be easier but stats is more usefull in medicine.
Others think so as well?

There is a great deal of common ground between Mechanics (Applied Maths) and Physics (Applied Maths).

*runs from angry physicists :biggrin: *

But seriously, M1 and M2 deal heavily in statics, kinematics etc, which you will find is the same as the forces and motion you cover in Physics. :smile:
krit_dw
Others think so as well?

if at all, stats is more useful in medicine...i guess you could say it improves your data interpretation skills which doctors use. also helps you with the QR section of the UKCAT (but sadly none of the other sections...)
Reply 15
I wonder if any medics are actually going to bother to reply to this...
Renal
I wonder if any medics are actually going to bother to reply to this...

Probably not.
Reply 17
theredsox
Probably not.

Why? Doesn't matter which one you take is my guess.
I think i will take up statistics.
With regard to the difficulty, will mechanics be easier for me as i am already taking physics A level?
Reply 18
Surely stats will be slightly better than Mechanics, considering Mechanics has almost no relevance to medicine, while statistics and figures could be somewhat remotely useful.
Reply 19
krit_dw
Why? Doesn't matter which one you take is my guess.
YOU WIN!

We done here?

Latest

Trending

Trending