The Student Room Group

Very Worried

Hey I got my As level results which were,
Further Maths: B
Maths: C
Economics: C
ICT: C

I felt like i could have done alot better and I feel that i didnt really put as much work or effort into AS as I should have. Seeing some of the AS results on here being AAAAA is kinda worrying me about uni. I thought economics was my best subject but I did terrible in the exams and only got a C in total, I want to do economics at uni.
Can anyone give me some advice or re-assurance on this, I am looking to retake alot of my AS modules and most likely drop ICT. Any general help on the matter would really help as I feel like i have failed :frown:

I am really going to put in alot of effort for my A2's, is my AS, ok, ****, terrible.. etc?
Reply 1
If you want to do economics at a top uni your looking at AAA so i doubt you have a shot with those grades unless you take a gap year and apply with A2s
Reply 2
Im trying to make my personal statement really good and ontop of that have read some recommended economics books as well as having work experience in an economic department. I hear univerisities also look at average school grades and that would benefit me as i come from a public school.
Unis look at your actual grades and also predicted grades. I'm not sure what you mean by 'average school grades'?

I do think it is possible for you to get onto an Economics course at Uni, but you will have to be realistic about the sort of ones you apply for. Economics is one of the most popular things to apply for, and basically all the places in the top 20 will ask for AAA. Its unlikely you are going to achieve such high grades so you need to have a look at other options.

I'd really recommend looking at the UCAS Course Search function in order to have a look at some places that may be viable options. If you want to apply for a few high grade courses thats fair enough, but you need to have some courses which ask for lower grades and will be a good back up option if you don't get in.
Reply 4
I'm sorry but those grades are not good enough for Economics at a top uni, despite having a good personal statement. Your only option is to work your arse off and apply with really good A2 grades.
Reply 5
AS results don't have a huge part to play in uni apps - because some places don't 'cash in' for AS results. They'll be more interested in your predicted grades. And bump your grades up with a couple of resits in January. The B in maths is looking promising though, they'll like that for economics. Top unis could be an issue, if your GCSEs were good that might help things though.
Reply 6
Thanks for your help guys but im not really looking for top uni's my aim is around BBB at A level, I reckon if i really put in the work as i didnt in AS i can do it, My GCSE was 8 A's and 2 B's :smile: so that isnt too bad
To be honest I found, I worried a lot more in my A2 year than was actually necessary. Make sure you get appropriate predictions, bump up those UMS with a few resit in Jan, and write a belting PS...all should be well :smile:
Reply 8
B's being in history and RE, A's were in main subjects
Reply 9
Do you reckon I could get into a uni which requires BBB caus BCCC was only my AS and i can work on them and make sure i do well in my A2