The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Democracy
The mentally ill are already not allowed to vote :wink:

That is absolutely not true.

A few severely mentally ill people are not allowed to vote, but they are in the minority.
Reply 81
God help us all.
Reply 82
Let's just elect a poodle. It's the better alternative.
Reply 83
Professoryackle; I never once said he was stupid, I said he was an idiot. He is a smart guy, but disguises it with humor so it is dangerous. I just don't think he will ever become PM, there are (hopefully) too many sensible people in this country to ever elect him!

And yes, he is racist. We read an article about him in English last year and I was honestly horrified by some of the Quotes from him.
Reply 84
nadiah
Professoryackle; I never once said he was stupid, I said he was an idiot. He is a smart guy, but disguises it with humor so it is dangerous. I just don't think he will ever become PM, there are (hopefully) too many sensible people in this country to ever elect him!

And yes, he is racist. We read an article about him in English last year and I was honestly horrified by some of the Quotes from him.

I'm quite curious about that actually, never thought he was racist.

Any links?
Reply 85
DaveJ
I'm quite curious about that actually, never thought he was racist.

Any links?

a random one pulled from wikipedia:

"That means disposing of the first taboo, and accepting that the problem is Islam. Islam is the problem.

To any non-Muslim reader of the Koran, Islamophobia — fear of Islam — seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke. Judged purely on its scripture — to say nothing of what is preached in the mosques — it is the most viciously sectarian of all religions in its heartlessness towards unbelievers."

I have loads more on a sheet somewhere, all stuff about him using the offensive word 'picaninies' to refer to African people among other things.

On top of all that he looks like my ex boyfriend which is just terrifying :eek:
nadiah

But 'idiotic' and 'stupid' are synonyms are they not, along with 'foolish'? I'm guessing you meant something along the lines of 'he plays the fool' which of course is completely different from the dictionary definition of 'idiot'.

As for being racist, I said that that's a moot point, which means there are opinions both for and against that hypothesis. Your restating 'And yes, he is racist', even if you say it twenty times, does not make the case any stronger for the position that he is racist.

If you want to prove that he is racist, quote some evidence; even then some people may produce counter-evidence.
Reply 87
nadiah

"That means disposing of the first taboo, and accepting that the problem is Islam. Islam is the problem.

To any non-Muslim reader of the Koran, Islamophobia fear of Islam seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke. Judged purely on its scripture to say nothing of what is preached in the mosques it is the most viciously sectarian of all religions in its heartlessness towards unbelievers."

I have loads more on a sheet somewhere, all stuff about him using the offensive word 'picaninies' to refer to African people among other things.

I don't think the first point is racist. He's not hating any people because of their race/religion.

He shouldn't have used offensive language to African people, but I guess everyone has the odd slip of the tongue.
nadiah

To any non-Muslim reader of the Koran, Islamophobia fear of Islam seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke. Judged purely on its scripture to say nothing of what is preached in the mosques it is the most viciously sectarian of all religions in its heartlessness towards unbelievers."

I couldn't give a quote, but I do remember him saying things like this.

As to your last statement, let's just turn that around and say: you were going out with a bloke that looks like Boris Johnson?
1)A top military exporter second only to the US(make money out of killing people - amazingly it's moral?)
2)Socially static but the lottery makes up for that doesn't it not?
3)Nation of small minded shopkeepers(thanks Napolean spot on)
4)Becoming ultra-conformist to point that you dare not offend anyone with a real point of view of your own.
5)Stasi snitch culture so don't drop a chip!
6)CCTV surveilance mad
7)Eccentricity results in a ASBO or a mental health section(sometimes both)
8)Relic nostalgia, denial and living in the past is rife
9)Dangerous dogs allowed to roam free in parks & the countryside
10)No nationally elected leader at present. (is it even a democracy?)

So Boris what are you going to do about it?
Reply 90
Jace Falco

As to your last statement, let's just turn that around and say: you were going out with a bloke that looks like Boris Johnson?

yes, please don't remind me! ahah same hear, same chub...the likeness is quite scary actually.
Reply 91
DaveJ
I don't think the first point is racist. He's not hating any people because of their race/religion.

He shouldn't have used offensive language to African people, but I guess everyone has the odd slip of the tongue.

he's saying Islam is a problem! Now I find that offensive.

And a slip of the tongue is no excuse. Why would you use offensive langugae if you didn't have offensive intent somewhere? :no:
Reply 92
Never say never, although I shouldn't have thought so. Not because he lacks the talent, but because he has already asserted the improbability of the notion himself.
He's said himself he'll never be prime minister.
punktopia
Let's just elect a poodle. It's the better alternative.

Or an albino labrador
EPIC LOL.

There is just no way it would ever happen. I mean... the tories would never dream of electing him as their leader, and who onearth would vote for him?

Granted, it would be a rather funny election me thinks. :p:
nadiah

To any non-Muslim reader of the Koran, Islamophobia — fear of Islam — seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke. Judged purely on its scripture — to say nothing of what is preached in the mosques — it is the most viciously sectarian of all religions in its heartlessness towards unbelievers."

The first section you quoted doesn't have a single element of racism in it whatsoever - it's a criticism of religion. And a valid one at that.

Also, the 'picaninies' comment was entirely justified within the article he wrote. The only way it could be seen as genuine racism is if you take it completely out of context, so please don't comment on it unless you've read (and understood) the article in full.
Reply 97
I've warmed to him recently. But I fall short of wishing him to be the PM! - We've made fun of Dubya and his stupidity, Lord knows what will happen if he ever got in. :eek:
Electric_Dreams
EPIC LOL.

There is just no way it would ever happen. I mean... the tories would never dream of electing him as their leader, and who onearth would vote for him?

Granted, it would be a rather funny election me thinks. :p:

I'd much sooner vote have voted for Boris than Blair or Brown, and would vote for him over Milliband, Cameron or any other current PM hopeful.
Reply 99
FyreFight
The first section you quoted doesn't have a single element of racism in it whatsoever - it's a criticism of religion. And a valid one at that.
Also, the 'picaninies' comment was entirely justified within the article he wrote. The only way it could be seen as genuine racism is if you take it completely out of context, so please don't comment on it unless you've read (and understood) the article in full.

Exactly.

Latest

Trending

Trending