The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think a lot of teachers over-predict. Many schools seem quite happy to give their pupils high predictions despite students' AS results falling far short.

If I was an admiossions officer I'd want to see all grades achieved listed, no matter whether they will be re-taken or not. If there's a reason for low achievement in the AS year then it should be detailed in the reference, otherwise tough!

Universities always give out more offers for a course than they have places for, it compenstates for people choosing to go elsewhere and for those that miss their offers.
Reply 2
Teachers have always overpredicted, it's not helped by people on TSR, NMM, AF or whatever advising people to 'get your teachers to predict you better'.
***Post removed***

Didn't realise this was MEDICINE only area. lol.
Yeah, people get BCCD (as an example) at AS - then are predicted AAAA by their teachers. It's possible, but not everyone's going to do it!
People rest on their laurels put in place by a good start in A-levels and their predictions, and don't kick it up a gear in the final year.
Reply 6
Over predictions play the biggest part IMO. Hoever false sence of security after good AS level results and string of offers can also have something to do with it.
I was predicted AAAA having got Aabbe in year 12 (A - A2 Maths , a in AS Computing , b's in Physics and Chem and e in Critical Thinking).Probably a bit optimistic because I was going for Cambridge but I think I had a good chance of doing it - in the end I got AABB in my A2s because some of my exams didn't go very nicely last summer (50/90 in PHB6 , 65/100 in FP3).
:ditto: about over predictions.

Complacency is very easy to slip into too, expecially if you have 4 Conditional offers on that little UCAS window.
Reply 9
I'm sure there's overprediction everywhere but seriously when you get 2 or 3 offers (not all unconditional) some people think its all over - like moi.

Got predicted AAAAA and got AABBB - I sort of forgot my offers were conditional ...:smile:
hamednhg

Got predicted AAAAA and got AABBB - I sort of forgot my offers were conditional ...:smile:

It also sounds like a classic case of doing far too many A levels. When it is important to get AAA, why do people do five and end up with AABBB?
Reply 11
Good bloke
It also sounds like a classic case of doing far too many A levels. When it is important to get AAA, why do people do five and end up with AABBB?

Lol its not that reli
it sounds worst than it is
i did an alevel in my first language which required no revision lol
so in a sense i did 4
and doing for A Levels gives u more chance of an offer - although im not saying its the only factor at all - just gives u an advantage
Good bloke

Because they start off with 5 to get the AAA offer in the first place? Either that, or because they just enjoy their subjects.
hamednhg
Lol its not that reli
it sounds worst than it is
i did an alevel in my first language which required no revision lol
so in a sense i did 4
and doing for A Levels gives u more chance of an offer - although im not saying its the only factor at all - just gives u an advantage

You might think that, but I don't happen to agree. Very few, if any, universities will disadvantage any applicant who is studying the right combination of three A levels.

It clearly is not an advantage if you don't make the offer, is it? Those studying three A levels and making the grade are now looking forward to starting the course.
Reply 14
A mix of overprediction, complacency and plain bad luck...
Reply 15
Good bloke
You might think that, but I don't happen to agree. Very few, if any, universities will disadvantage any applicant who is studying the right combination of three A levels.

So in your view when a uni sees a 5 A-level candidate they give him no advantage for doing 5 A-levels rather than 3?
hamednhg
So in your view when a uni sees a 5 A-level candidate they give him no advantage for doing 5 A-levels rather than 3?

I obviously can't speak for individual cases but, in general, no. English universities are more likely to be interested in extra depth, rather than greater breadth, in what you study.
in my case trying to coast like at GCSE and AS
Greatleysteg
Because they start off with 5 to get the AAA offer in the first place? Either that, or because they just enjoy their subjects.

In this case it appears to be in the mistaken assumption it would make him look a better candidate.
Reply 19
My college is very strict on predictions. Esp the Bio/Chem departments. Rule is that AS grade will be your A2 prediction.

Uni's offer more than there are places, because they expect some to miss their offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending