The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Most people find their jobs boring though, don't they?
Reply 21
Helenia
What is it exactly about your idea of Medicine that attracts you to it? What do you perceive being a doctor to be? Is it just that experience so far has clashed with those expectations, or is it that you're doing this because you feel you have no other choice but don't actually enjoy the practicalities?

Lots of medicine can be dull and repetitive - yes, there's more variety than a lot of jobs but for every exciting case there's probably a handful of fairly mundane ones. Not liking Radiology is probably fair enough - if you don't know any anatomy or anything and wanted to see patients, I can imagine it not being much fun. Not liking GP on the other hand...yes, it gets repetitive but you said you don't like to listen to people talking about their problems? That happens in almost any specialty!

I perceive being a doctor as having a lot of responsibility yet using your knowledge in order to help people and make a tangible difference to their lives. Sorry, I probably worded that incorrectly, I meant that in the GP environment I didn't enjoy it because it all seemed a bit repetitive. However, when I saw consultants talk to patients during my Radiology work experience it was more enjoyable and I could see the difference they made by just listening to patients.
Juncture
Was this by any chance the work experience school made us arrange in year 10 (i think it was year 10), yours at least sounds slightly better than mine where I saw nothing medical at all during the week and just made beds and cups of tea and coffee

yeh. do you know me?!

last year I watched surgery, it was quality. if you can't get into work experience for surgery, like vascular surgery, do gastroenterology. you watch scopes and stuff that's nice.

for the record i've since worked in a nursing home and i'm impervious to catheters! and surgery. and bodily fluids. and deep bedsores
Reply 23
Fabregas1989
yeh. do you know me?!

last year I watched surgery, it was quality. if you can't get into work experience for surgery, like vascular surgery, do gastroenterology. you watch scopes and stuff that's nice.

for the record i've since worked in a nursing home and i'm impervious to catheters! and surgery. and bodily fluids. and deep bedsores

Yes I do know you and you know me, we went to school together

I'm going to write to various hospital people in York and Cardiff to try and find me some work experience, hopefully might be able to get something surgical :smile:
Reply 24
I did some work experience in a hospital a few days ago, spent the afternoon with radiology and absolutely hated it! Spent half a day in surgery though and absolutely loved it :biggrin: .Try and see as many departments as possible, that will give you a much better idea.
Reply 25
piece_by_piece
I perceive being a doctor as having a lot of responsibility yet using your knowledge in order to help people and make a tangible difference to their lives. Sorry, I probably worded that incorrectly, I meant that in the GP environment I didn't enjoy it because it all seemed a bit repetitive. However, when I saw consultants talk to patients during my Radiology work experience it was more enjoyable and I could see the difference they made by just listening to patients.

Yes, you do all those things, but even that can get repetitive - perhaps it seemed more so during GP as a lot of things are seemingly mundane but every time the GP has to assess the seriousness of the problem - do they need a referral or can they be handled "in house?" It's more complex than it appears on the surface!

You have to learn though that a lot of medicine will be repetitive and you won't always make a tangible difference - or sometimes you will, but it will be for the worse.

If you genuinely enjoyed the patient contact aspect of radiology, then I'd try giving another hospital placement a chance. If you're still having doubts after that then I think you really should reconsider if Medicine is for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending