The Student Room Group

Uni Help!!!

Ok so here's how it goes.

I have got 4 of my university choices sorted out and pretty sure and they are:

Imperial
Bristol
Nottingham
York

They are all for straight physics. Am thinking about maybe doubling up with maths but that is not an issue at the moment.
I'm aiming for 4 A's in physics, further maths, biology and maths and i have already got an A in maths a year early.
I got 3 A's and an E [history] in my A/S year.
Am looking for another high end uni to apply to that will ask for about AAB/ABB

any ideas guys?
Not applying to Oxford or Cambridge then?
Reply 2
do you think i could get in even though i got an E in history as a 5th A/S
My school are telling me not to
Reply 3
i guess i could have a go at oxford
although i think it will be a bit scary asking my school to put me in and having them tell me they don't think i should do it
You're predicted 4A's so it's worth a try. I doubt a bad grade in a 5th unrelated AS would be worthy of an immediate rejection.
Reply 5
Ok well i will have a talk with my teachers at school because i would also have to do my A/S and A2 further maths in yr 13 but i can easily do it as i have finshed my alevel maths.

I'll see what they say about the oxford thing then :smile:
Reply 6
Durham or Warwick.

Avoid York, it's a horrid campus. I got offered a plce there but turned it down.

Imperial would be good for your course, but again, horrible campus. Not friendly at all (imo).
Reply 7
What about UCL? You could apply for the BSc or 4 year undergrad masters. My friend is doing the 4 year course and loves it.
Reply 8
You could always decline your E-grade so it's like it never happened, after all you've already got 4 subjects at AS because of further maths.
Reply 9
Of course Oxford is still worth a try.

If you want another AAA uni (and don't try for Oxford) then definately Durham, if it appeals. I'm not being biased here but its physics department is one of its top (in my opinion matches the likes of english, law and history - the departments that get all the praise). But, and this may be a disadvantage or an advantage, it's one of the departmetns of Durham's where they really are doing leading international research. This can have a detrimental effect on the amount of time lecturers give to undergrads. I've just heard a few minor complaints that would back this up, although not from the students it must be said. All physics students I know are happy enough.

The redbricks such as Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester etc. Southampton, Lancaster and the Scottish ancients....I'm sure most of those will be AAB-ABB. Warwick will be a push, I think they ask for AAA-AAB.

Latest

Trending

Trending