The Student Room Group

AH Music Composition

Ok so my teacher told me the other day compositions at this level should be having key changes and changes in time signature to make them complicated. What other techniques that would make a piece Ah standard? I'm not entirely sure what's being looked for, i have plenty of songs i've composed but I've never done things like time changes :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I would have thought that things like complex chord progressions, polyrhythms, syncopations and advanced orchestrations would go in your favour.

Something like a 5/4 guitar riff over drums in 3/4, with a Bbsus4 - Gmaj7add9 - Ddim/C progression and a string section worthy of John Williams would definitely suffice :P

But don't shoot me, I'm only the keyboard player.
What genre are you composing in? If your teacher is telling you to add changes in time signature just for their own sake rather than because they actually work as part of the piece, they obviously don't know what they're talking about.
Reply 3
Agent Smith
What genre are you composing in? If your teacher is telling you to add changes in time signature just for their own sake rather than because they actually work as part of the piece, they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

Well they were saying that you don't need to write a good song necessarily, it's more the SQA look to see that you can write complicated music.

We're meant to have two different genres. I don't really know how to describe my music but i'll post a link to two pieces i did last year if that helps

http://www.bebo.com/aminordetail

I know bebo's a load of crap but meh :p:
Meteorshower
Well they were saying that you don't need to write a good song necessarily, it's more the SQA look to see that you can write complicated music.

We're meant to have two different genres. I don't really know how to describe my music but i'll post a link to two pieces i did last year if that helps

http://www.bebo.com/aminordetail

I know bebo's a load of crap but meh :p:
I think there's a difference to be borne in mind here between "sophisticated" and "complicated". I strongly advise you to steer clear of complexity for its own sake, because it'll make your piece a cluttered mess that doesn't hang together properly. I've had compositions turn out that way myself, and it's a demoralising experience.

I realise that you have to do a certain amount of jumping through hoops in order to demonstrate that you are competent and confident at composition, but I think a coherent piece that tends towards simplicity will score more highly than a technical tour de force that sounds jumbled and artificial. Obviously you're aware that a balance needs to be struck, but it seems to me that your compromise is weighted too far in favour of the "complicated impressive mess" end of the scale. And like I said, I think your teacher is making that worse.

This is more true for some genres than for others, of course; which two styles are you intending to write in?

(And as an afterthought: If your examining board wants two different styles, then there's your complexity and demonstration of flexible compositional skills. If both pieces are overly complicated, the contrast in genre between them will be less striking, and I think that might damage your mark.)
Reply 5
Agent Smith
I think there's a difference to be borne in mind here between "sophisticated" and "complicated". I strongly advise you to steer clear of complexity for its own sake, because it'll make your piece a cluttered mess that doesn't hang together properly. I've had compositions turn out that way myself, and it's a demoralising experience.

I realise that you have to do a certain amount of jumping through hoops in order to demonstrate that you are competent and confident at composition, but I think a coherent piece that tends towards simplicity will score more highly than a technical tour de force that sounds jumbled and artificial. Obviously you're aware that a balance needs to be struck, but it seems to me that your compromise is weighted too far in favour of the "complicated impressive mess" end of the scale. And like I said, I think your teacher is making that worse.

This is more true for some genres than for others, of course; which two styles are you intending to write in?

(And as an afterthought: If your examining board wants two different styles, then there's your complexity and demonstration of flexible compositional skills. If both pieces are overly complicated, the contrast in genre between them will be less striking, and I think that might damage your mark.)

Thanks for the help, I think i'll just show him some of the stuff i've been doing anyway and if it's not enough then change it. I mostly write rock but that's such a vast genre in my opinion to the point of meaningless.
Reply 6
patrickthestarfish
If you were to compose in the serial music genre, your music would basically just write itself and it would be effortlessly complicated :biggrin: We had to do that for higher last year.

Yeah but it would be crap :p:
Reply 7
patrickthestarfish
Crap to listen to, but incredibly easy to create. Though some painkillers will be necessary....

If it's crap to listen to it's not worth writing :p:
Reply 8
patrickthestarfish
Music is subjective - You should have realised that by now if you're doing advanced higher. One man's trash is another man's treasure. The music PT at my school highly enjoys serialism, whereas me (and you) clearly don't :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I actually like proper serialism but i would disagree with you when you say it's easy to write. Sure you can just have some random notes in tone rows but to make it actually sound good takes skill.
Reply 9
patrickthestarfish
I get where you're coming from, but I didn't really have any troubles creating my composition last year, and got a pass pretty easily, though maybe what the exam board counts as a 'pass' does not necessarily mean good music. Im no expert, I'm just speaking from experience of having written one, which is all i have really!

Fair do's :p:

Basically what i'm doing this year is have a 3/4 section in the middle of one of my existing songs XD It actually works not too bad i think. Not sure what i'll do for the other one though

Latest

Trending

Trending