The Student Room Group

RAF- WSO Rotary Training!!

Hi Guys

been looking everywhere to find some information on WSO training

I know that all WSOs once completing IOT, do their 1 week at RAF Henlow, then start their basic flying for 10 months, with the Grob Tutor,Tucano and Dominie.

But once they are streamed to fast-jet, multi-engine or rotary, does anyone know what training WSOs have to go through for rotary??? I know the training for fast jet and multiengine, but just can't find any info on rotary.

Do they just go to the Defense Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury? What do they do there???

Any info would be great! Thanks!!
Reply 1
You might be confusing WSOp and WSO as there are not any rotary WSOs and haven't been for some time.
Reply 2
as above no wso on rotary any more.

I understand you confusion as some stuff ie. AFCO blue job sheets still mention rotary.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/no22traininggroup/rafcms/mediafiles/9C2CA119_1143_EC82_2E38786ECE6BE6FA.ppt

Page 6 lists current possible aircraft.

According to my research the ASTOR mission controller may well be a WSO when they become operational.
Reply 3
thanks very much DJBowl, appreciated.
So is it safe to say in my filter interview at my local afco, to only mention multiengine and fastjet, and not even mention rotary as an option?
cheers guys
Reply 4
No, as there are no rotary WSOs, and haven't been for some time so don't mention it. If you mention it, it will only show that you've revised outdated information. WSOs can only be streamed FJ or ME, and the FJ stream will be coming to a halt once the F3 and GR4 are out of service.
BlackHawk
WSOs can only be streamed FJ or ME, and the FJ stream will be coming to a halt once the F3 and GR4 are out of service.

So, only another 20-30 years then... ^_^
Reply 6
BlackHawk is 99% right. There are still several WSO's (but they are all badged as Nav's) on Rotary but they are all just waiting to retire or going for their pilot crossover. I think on my sqn there are about 3.
Reply 7
Are they still flying? A couple of friends were rotary WSOs but have been posted elsewhere by now.
BlackHawk
Are they still flying? A couple of friends were rotary WSOs but have been posted elsewhere by now.

Check you out with your many titles missy :p:

Reply 9
Yep, they are still flying. The previous 2IC was and has just been posted, his replacement is also a Nav. Plus a couple of line Navs.
Reply 10
sigor126
Hi Guys

been looking everywhere to find some information on WSO training

I know that all WSOs once completing IOT, do their 1 week at RAF Henlow, then start their basic flying for 10 months, with the Grob Tutor,Tucano and Dominie.

But once they are streamed to fast-jet, multi-engine or rotary, does anyone know what training WSOs have to go through for rotary??? I know the training for fast jet and multiengine, but just can't find any info on rotary.

Do they just go to the Defense Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury? What do they do there???

Any info would be great! Thanks!!

i used to live at RAF Shawbury and i imagine thats where navigators would go to train for rotary ...proberly on 60 Sqn....have a look on the RAF Shawbury webiste at the categories "why we are here" i think its called
Reply 11
DRK5390
i used to live at RAF Shawbury and i imagine thats where navigators would go to train for rotary ...proberly on 60 Sqn....have a look on the RAF Shawbury webiste at the categories "why we are here" i think its called

Or you could just trust us when we say no new rotary navs are being trained.

As mentioned, existing navs aren't being pushed away until they naturally tourex or leave, but there're no new ones going through training because all the rotary fleets are 2-pilot now.

Latest