The Student Room Group
You could use the New Mexico prison riot to back it up. I suppose you could argue whether it is for either the dispositional or situational hypothesis, but it shows that it can happen in real situations.

A simple visit to google or Wiki (yes, yes) could lead you somewhere, too....
Reply 2
For great critiques and new research into this see research by Reicher and Haslam

http://www.psychblog.co.uk/where-to-start/social-reicher-haslam-2006
Reply 3
I think it MIGHT be hofling, but not sure, check up on this.

A number of nurses were phoned by 'Dr. Smith' (the experimenter) and were told to give a certain dose of a kind of drug to a patient, even though the dose they were told to give was double that written as the maximum on the bottle. All but one nurse did as was told. Obviously, all were stopped before they gave the patient the lethal amount! Also, all nurses believed that other nurses would not have obeyed Dr. Smith

This can be used to back up Zimbardo as it is about obeyed authority figures, whether real or just perceived to be real. You'll have to look in up on the internet or a book to check the details :smile:
Reply 4
Charlurr
I think it MIGHT be hofling, but not sure, check up on this.

A number of nurses were phoned by 'Dr. Smith' (the experimenter) and were told to give a certain dose of a kind of drug to a patient, even though the dose they were told to give was double that written as the maximum on the bottle. All but one nurse did as was told. Obviously, all were stopped before they gave the patient the lethal amount! Also, all nurses believed that other nurses would not have obeyed Dr. Smith

This can be used to back up Zimbardo as it is about obeyed authority figures, whether real or just perceived to be real. You'll have to look in up on the internet or a book to check the details :smile:

They were placebos and the nurses were notified after the study...i think

:clip:
Reply 5
paperclip
They were placebos and the nurses were notified after the study...i think

Oh, i was told they were all stopped before they gave the doseage, just had a quick look in my notes. But shrug. Does it really matter that much? Dont be so pinickity! :yep:
Charlurr
Oh, i was told they were all stopped before they gave the doseage, just had a quick look in my notes. But shrug. Does it really matter that much? Dont be so pinickity! :yep:

Well if the OP needs to be critical about the study, it would help to have the right info :p:

And I'm sure the patients would have been bothered about the particulars; I think they'd be happier with a placebo than a lethal drug! :wink:
Reply 7
Charlurr

We're psychologists, it's our jobs to be pickey :p:

Reply 8
Well, surely the OP would use common sense and look up the actual study when my sentence starts with 'i think..', and would clarify it. Surely if in doubt, the OP could write 'however, they were not given the lethal dosage' which covers both eventualities. And when the OP needs to be critical about the study, you dont need to go into the other studies into detail, you need to explain why it criticises Zimbardo to gain AO2.

That made me seem really moody. Im not. Im really not. :biggrin:
Yikes. Well then I'm glad I'm frivolous and happy, to match my previous post :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending