The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pretty barmy.
'just possibly doable'

- but you're really gonna have to put some effort in for AS otherwise you won't end up doing very well
Reply 3
only you know what you're capable of.
if the C at GCSE took loads of work and you did your absolute best then AS probably isn't a good idea. but if you know you'd have done better at GCSE if you'd worked harder then maybe it would be possible.
could you talk to you school/maths teacher about it? they'll be able to advise you best.
Reply 4
Adhavan
'just possibly doable'

- but you're really gonna have to put some effort in for AS otherwise you won't end up doing very well

Yeah I hadn't worded that well, I meant with ***** loads hard work in.
Reply 5
i got a B at GCSE, and got a decent enough C at AS. you'll have to work quite hard, but it is just about doable
Reply 6
No. Ofcourse its possible, but not advisable
Reply 7
Most people are clueless after GCSE anyway, even if they get an A. I got an A at GCSE and I barely knew how to rearrange an equation, now I have an A at A/S level. You might aswell do it, work really hard at C1 and that will put you in a position for an easy A. Easier than GCSE maths in many ways because of the module format and no coursework.
Reply 8
Will your school let you?
Reply 9
My school doesn't let you do A-Level Maths with anything less than an A at GCSE, its one of the only subjects at my school to be so strict, most have requirements of at least a B. So I'm guessing it'd be pretty hard with a C
i'm starting with college now, struggled with gcse maths but hired a tutor, one hour a week and got an A. so it's possible but you're going have to work so ****ing hard.

if it's necessary for what you want to do in uni, then i suggest you go for it but get a tutor. believe me, one hour a week can make a difference.
Most colleges require a B and I'm sure that's for a reason.
I think it would be an uphill struggle.

Maybe resit GCSE maths in your AS year and do AS maths whilst your doing your other A2's? Saying that, only you know what you are capable of so if you think you can manage and are willing to put the effort in then it's worth a try.
Reply 13
Possibly doable if the reason why you didn't get higher at GCSE were reasons that were out of your hands to fix i.e starting school late.

As long as you think you're capable and do put the hard work time and effort into it it is doable. But tbh I am surprised you are even allowed to do it with only a C at GCSE. My school wouldn't let my mate!!
Reply 14
It will be very difficult but possible.
Reply 15
Look if you enjoy maths than give it a go, A-level maths is much more different, as in it makes more sense, its logical compared to GCSE. I hated GCSE and honestly I found it hard were as A-level maths is a general progression from one topic to the next.

Besides the grade you get in GCSE maths is not always a good indicator to how well you will do at A-level, yeah statistically people who get grade A/A* at GCSE go on to get A’s at A-level. But I don’t think that should put you off.

What topics did you find hard at GCSE? Are you the sort of person who can learn from a book, by looking at a few worked examples?

Maths is a subject that require you to get ‘stuck in’ people get good at maths by getting ‘stuck’ on questions and than figuring it out for themselves
Reply 16
Noooooooooooooo. Don't do it!!!

In the interests of your own mental health, seriously.
Reply 17
you need to be the sort of person who gets an A/A* at gcse without putting any work in to suceed at A level maths. dont bother. go for sociology m8
Reply 18
I just found GCSE Maths to be full of wishy-washy questions requiring protractors and compasses etc., at least with the AS "Core" modules it seems to be get straight to the point with the questions. For the differences in knowledge between those who've attained an A at GCSE Maths and those with a C, it can't surely take that long to get up to speed? I just didn't put any effort in at all, with it all being a linear 2 year GCSE course it all seemed to melt into one and by the time I came to revise I hadn't got a clue about where to start or of the different sub-divisions in the course (as compared to the modular A-level) so I just kinda gave up..
At my college, you need to have at least a B and even with an A*, they make you do Extra Maths in another block of the timetable as it's apparentely very hard for most people.

Latest