The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Can a anyone please tell me what firms are known for their dispute resolution work?
Reply 61
fungirl1234
Can a anyone please tell me what firms are known for their dispute resolution work?
Herbert Smith.
Reply 62
had my first rejections of the year - sad times :frown:
Reply 63
Tasha-twi
had my first rejections of the year - sad times :frown:

Keep your head up :smile: Where was it from?
Reply 64
It was actually two - Jones Day and Slaughter and May.

Pretty annoying. I only got a few open days last year and no vac schemes. I had fairly serious mitigating circumstances in my first year so my grades werent so good. I worked realy hard last year to get good grades but they apparently still arent good enough!

I cant afford to do the GDL without a TC tho :'(
Reply 65
When did you apply to both? I still haven't heard but am expecting a big fat PFO soon.... Honestly though, keep plugging away at those apps, something will come good.
Tasha-twi
It was actually two - Jones Day and Slaughter and May.

Pretty annoying. I only got a few open days last year and no vac schemes. I had fairly serious mitigating circumstances in my first year so my grades werent so good. I worked realy hard last year to get good grades but they apparently still arent good enough!

I cant afford to do the GDL without a TC tho :'(

:hugs: I know its not much but just keep trying. good luck xx
Reply 67
thanks. I applied to S&M on Sept 1st (I'd been working on my applic for a while so i could send it off straight away). Applied to Jones Day about a week and a half ago.

Hopefully you shall be more successful than me! I've got an open day already this year so I suppose thats something.

I got 67 last year from a top (although not oxbridge) uni in a traditional subject. I just don't think its good enough though!!!

(promise to stop moaning soon)
Reply 68
Tasha-twi
thanks. I applied to S&M on Sept 1st (I'd been working on my applic for a while so i could send it off straight away). Applied to Jones Day about a week and a half ago.

Hopefully you shall be more successful than me! I've got an open day already this year so I suppose thats something.

I got 67 last year from a top (although not oxbridge) uni in a traditional subject. I just don't think its good enough though!!!

(promise to stop moaning soon)

To be honest, and I mean this in the nicest way, its not your uni, your year result OR your subject holding you back. They all seem excellent and more than enough to get a foot in the door. You just need more app practice I think... I applied to Jones Day over a week ago too, pretty much based on the strength of their M&A department. Really would like to spend a week there, despite what I've heard!
Reply 69
ssk2
To be honest, and I mean this in the nicest way, its not your uni, your year result OR your subject holding you back. They all seem excellent and more than enough to get a foot in the door. You just need more app practice I think... I applied to Jones Day over a week ago too, pretty much based on the strength of their M&A department. Really would like to spend a week there, despite what I've heard!
Well, S+M are known as being the most demanding firm in terms of academic requirements. Based on people I know, a 67 average would probably be towards the lower end of what they're looking for.
Reply 70
TommehR
Well, S+M are known as being the most demanding firm in terms of academic requirements. Based on people I know, a 67 average would probably be towards the lower end of what they're looking for.

I'd agree but with the caveat that on occasion, S&M will tend to overlook slightly poorer module results if you can write a great covering letter and have a glittering CV (in my limited experiences anyway). Heck, you don't even need to tell S&M your module breakdowns - they don't ask for them!
Reply 71
You do need to put your module breakdown for S&M. it says you have to on the aplication form.

Is 67 below average for most good law firms? I won't be applying to any other MC firms because I don't like the sound of them - S&M was an exception.

For jones day i talked a lot about their non-rotational TC, the clients and M&A. Its not like im not making my applications specific!

I really think its my grades thats letting me down but its not as though I can change them!
Reply 72
Tasha-twi
You do need to put your module breakdown for S&M. it says you have to on the aplication form.

Is 67 below average for most good law firms? I won't be applying to any other MC firms because I don't like the sound of them - S&M was an exception.

I've got lots of extra curricular things. I'm on the committee of one of the sports clubs im in, I've just started to take part in international tournaments for this sport, im part of another society and i used to attend theatre school at the weekends.

For jones day i talked a lot about their non-rotational TC, the clients and M&A. Its not like im not making my applications specific!

I really think its my grades thats letting me down but its not as though I can change them!

I'm 99% sure you don't have to put module breakdowns on S&M apps... Its not even an application form is it? Its a simple CV and covering letter.
Reply 73
you do have to put module breakdowns. Hence why someone on this thread got asked to give their first year grades because they hadn't on the form / cv.

I'm going to stop moaning now and 'man up!'. Still got lots to hear back from :smile:
Reply 74
I had a 61 average in the first year and got three Vac Schemes at big City firms. I averaged 66 in the second year and got a TC at a big Silver Circle firm. 67 is fine. I know people with high 2:2s that have Vac Schemes. Whatever the problem is, it's not your grades. The first couple of rejections hurt, but it gets better. :biggrin:
Reply 75
Hi, i've recently applied to Pinsent and Masons, does anyone know when the rejections or invitations to interviews come out?( ROUND ABOUT?) And thats to the majority of law firms not just to Pinsent and Masons.
Reply 76
was it norton rose by any chance?
Reply 77
Tasha-twi
was it norton rose by any chance?
I am absolutely dying to get a TC / vac scheme there. Its on the verge of obsession. I went on an open day there and fell in love with it. I wrote in my norton rose pen in all of my exams lol
Norton Rose completed messed everybody around this year, with regard to Training Contracts. They took absolutely ages to get back to everybody and whenever anybody sent emails to them, the receipt they got back was 'deleted without reading'. As far as I'm aware, some people still haven't heard from them, despite applying by the July 31st deadline. I can only assume that they've taken most of their trainees from Vac Schemes this year, or they've been completely overwhelemed by the number of applications. Norton Rose seems like an absolutely fantastic place to work and train, but their HR hasn't been on top form this year, for whatever reason.

And no, my TC isn't with them, although I did apply and got rejected. Without wanting to sound arrogant, it was a bit surprising that I got rejected at the application stage, as my application must have been reasonably strong as I got interviews at three MC firms and some SCs. I have friends in similar positions which makes me think they must have filled up most of their spaces from their Vac Schemes.

Although I already had a TC that I preferred at that point, it still would have been nice to get an interview as I really like the look of the firm.
Reply 78
carpboy
Hi, i've recently applied to Pinsent and Masons, does anyone know when the rejections or invitations to interviews come out?( ROUND ABOUT?) And thats to the majority of law firms not just to Pinsent and Masons.
Please don't say you called them 'Pinsent and Masons' all the way through the application. :frown:

There isn't a set time or even a rough time when firms start interviewing/rejecting. A lot of firms will wait until after the deadline to start reviewing applications. Likewise, a lot of firms will send out responses as and when they receive applications. I'm sure somebody on here must have some experience of PM and will be able to tell you their turnaround time. Just be warned that you might not hear anything until the end of January!
Anyone else applied for the Walker Morris vac scheme 09/training contract 11? I have just sent mine off and am VERY anxious.. I know I won't hear anything for ages but I really would love to work there! Also-anyone have any experience with WM? xx

Quick Reply

Latest