The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i swear, most people will say they didn't work hard! but i assure you, everyone is different!
I worked hard because I'm not naturally bright! Pity i didn't do the same at AS though!
GCSEs are not the hardest exams you'll sit, but when you're doing them, they'll seem like they are! I think the trick to doing well at GCSE is simply exam techique; the exams don't show how smart you are, but rather how good you are at retaining facts or how good you are at putting numbers into equations or how good you are at making sure you use a semi colon and/or colon in your GCSE English Paper to get a top grade! :rolleyes:
Reply 21
I worked for it, defo. I didn't do much throughout the year, but i did a lot of work in the 6 weeks before my exams.

But then when i got to AS, i realised that the effort i was putting in defo wasn't good enough to do well in year 12. It's all relative really.

Just put as much effort in as you think is right, and it'll be ok :smile:
Reply 22
I spent normal efforts (1-2 hrs per day) during school time - ratchet it up to 10 hrs day during study leave days. Managed all A* s. - But I think I got little lucky too - but I am not complaining. :biggrin:
I got 12 A*s and one A.

They don't come very easily.

Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Reply 24
I didn't really revise at all before the exams and came out with 6A*s and 4As, although I did work pretty hard during year eleven and for my coursework x)

Guess I was just lucky, should really have revised though =/
Reply 25
You'll get people on this thing who did no work at all, or only revised night/week before hand and came out with top A/A* grades.

Me? I worked hard for my mocks and even harder from about april time right up to GCSE where i killed myself from study leave onwards.

losing sleep and putting my 110% in. asking teachers/smart friends when i got stuck and it paid off.

I ended up falling asleep on the bus ride home from my last exam, panicing all summer that 'i didn't work hard enough (it's funny how your mind plays tricks on you) then sqealing for joy when I opened that envelope :smile:

work hard, it'll pay off

(ooh and NAIL your coursework and language oral :wink:)

good luck!
Reply 26
Ekpyrotic
Depends on the subject. French = v. hard; maths = not hard at all.

:o: opposite for me :smile:
Reply 27
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I got As and A*s and I did not work hard at all. I crammed on the night before for everything and did not revise for french or spanish and pulled off A*s (but they were my strongest subjects aside from biology/english).
Umm...I would simply suggest, working hard on coursework and listening in lessons. That's all . . . if you do that, you can afford to do day before revision (or at least a couple of days although I do not recommed it :p: ).
Reply 29
I did a bit of work, but not that much; and I got nearly straight A*/As (got 1 B, 1 mark off an A).

You need to work hard right before the exam. If you revise now, you'll forget by the exam.
Not at all.
Reply 31
(edited 12 years ago)
i didnt do tonnes of work to get my grades... i did some i wish i did more in retrospect but i am still happy with what i achieved its upto you really i wouldnt start revising until march at the earliest if i were you... i had a friend who started revising for her gcses in december and she had forgotten most of the stuff by april :x

oh i got A*A*AAAAAABBB btw >_<
Pah, not very.
It all depends on whether you actually want to, though..
Reply 34
I spent my study leave out with my friends and did some night before revision for some subjects and the rest was just what we did in lessons, past papers and such....not that i'd advise this!!

Worked harder for my A-Levels though, GCSE's were a walk in the park compared to them
Reply 35
Harder in some than others (namely art!!!) but overall the effort I put into GCSEs was nothing compared to what I had to do for A level.
I got 4A*s and 6 As..... I did work quite hard... but no way did i revise a year before!
For subjects i wasnt as good at i.e science predicted a B and spanish a C... i worked harder and made a lot of notes espesh for science.

hard work does pay off.... but dont over work your self... jus makes notes and keep up to date.

but then if you have a knack for learning things quickly you can get away with revision 2 weeks before... which did work for most of mine.... including my A* in history lol
Some subjects I worked damn hard for, others I couldn't be bothered.

If you want all top grades though you will have to put in a lot of effort, regardless of whether you are naturally talented or not.
Reply 38
i did practically no work in most subjects, just remembered going to lessons and trying not to fall asleep,
Worked really hard at Latin and spanish and got an a and b, and a* in all the others. Just depends what you're good at, but if you find a subject easy there's no need to become paranoid and think yo doing too litte
Reply 39
I didn't work that hard for my As at all.
I did however for the Bs and was expecting As in them...

IT-worked my ass off, but only got a C...some problem at school.

Latest