The Student Room Group

Medlink ... work experience thingy ...

I am new to this forum (yup thats right! The Big Bad Newbie lol) so, if this topic has been discussed spare me the flames. Anyways did any of you go to the recently held medlink conference in Nottingham Uni? If yes, then you might be able to help me. Something about a work experience or rather voluntary work, in some Romanian orphanage was mentioned. I didn't really get all the contact info i.e. the contact info of the girl or any other person who arranged the orphanage thing. I really want to help out in this program, but I don't have the contact info. etc so I was hoping some of you might be able to help me. It would really be appreciated!
Reply 1
There's stuff on this on the medlink website.
Reply 2
Yes if you go to the notice boards on the medlink site you can find info about it there. You have to raise £200 first and the trip costs like £600, I can't remember the exact figures because I went to medlink last year. Personally I believe if you want to help as a volunteer there are cheaper ways of doing it.

Not to mention the hassel of going to the interviews to be selected first.
Reply 3
Yes I did go to the website but the medlink link doesn't seem to work. There seems to be some coding error. All I see is some html code and I don't think it's because of my browser or something. You are talking about www. medlink.co.uk aren't you? And as far as there being cheaper ways of gaining work experience, I haven't really found any out of U.K work experience, thats cheaper or more convenient. Also, my school might just sponsor me and my friend (fingers crossed!) so I don't think money would be a problem.
Reply 4
Vernificus
Yes I did go to the website but the medlink link doesn't seem to work. There seems to be some coding error. All I see is some html code and I don't think it's because of my browser or something. You are talking about www. medlink.co.uk aren't you? And as far as there being cheaper ways of gaining work experience, I haven't really found any out of U.K work experience, thats cheaper or more convenient. Also, my school might just sponsor me and my friend (fingers crossed!) so I don't think money would be a problem.

You can most likely get a volunteering role at your local hospital (for free!), aswell as possibly a chance to undertake work experience by shadowing a doctor.
Reply 5
There are loads of free ways of getting voluntary work, local charity shop, hospice, nursing home, hospital ward. Where theres a will theres a way :smile: Its not very convenient becasue a) you'll have to travel all the way to manchester or where ever their holding interviews this year b) raise £300 for charity c) book your own flights! d) "Some of the children in the morning group are very difficult to handle. There are one or two that may try to hit or bite you and if they do you MUST NOT get angry with them as they won’t understand and will get scared. Even if you are in agony you must put them down gently and walk off with a straight face"

Don't get me wrong, I think the work being done there is great but from my past experiences from medlink, I don't think everything is the same as they make out to be on their sites and I would much rather go to Romania or another country with a proper charity.

However, if your still very keen on this romania trip heres more info,

http://www.medlink-uk.com/ROMANIA/rom_home02.htm

Latest