The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Shayilalraya
he still has to work to achieve the offer..
i smell jealousy!

Jealousy didn't cross my mind, bad call :nah: I was referring to how they managed to sway his predictions in the first place, without even having to work and suck up to the teachers himself. It just demeans the effort other people put in, that's all. You understand that, right?
Speedbird2008
State schools, as a rule of thumb, are those which predict higher grades.

I go to provate school, and I would have to be seriously ****ing convicing if they were to predict me AAA from my ABBB at AS Level. Private school Headmasters are far to concerned over their image in the eyes of universities.

Well that's complete crap.
Reply 22
Does it really matter what AS results people got and whether it led to an offer? Just focus on making the rest of your application brilliant.
Reply 23
Yeah I go to a private school and very rarely do they predict people's A2 levels above what they got at AS levels :frown:
xkayelzx
I agree
i hate the fact that private schooled children can get to where they want just by money
**** all the hard work i put in, lets give them some money an we'l be fine
urgh

Thats complete ****. In my school, and most probably the huge majority of private schools, no amount of money will change your grades/predicted grades. I have never heard of anything like this ever happening. If you get bad AS grades in my school, you get bad predictions. Everyone has to work the same to get the grades.
Reply 25
Speedbird2008
That is utter *******s. :rolleyes:

So its utter *******s that i went to a state school and came out with really shoddy results? does that make me unintelligent?
No it means i went to a **** school where their level of education is apalling. My parents couldnt afford to send to me a posh private school, so i had to struggle through ****ty state schools, where alls they care about is getting 5 A-cs so they put you in lower tier exams so that you can scrape an A
Is it utter *******s that in the same exam at a much better place of education i got an A apposed to a D in one year, rather than spending 2 years working towards a D?
Everyone knows that private schooled children are instantly in a better position to achieve, intelligence isnt natural in many cases, its reinforced.
Reply 26
T-o dore
Thats complete ****. In my school, and most probably the huge majority of private schools, no amount of money will change your grades/predicted grades. I have never heard of anything like this ever happening. If you get bad AS grades in my school, you get bad predictions. Everyone has to work the same to get the grades.

I dont recall saying the amount of money will change your predicted grades
My point was the money their parents put in to it affects the grades they finally achieve and come out with.
Failed123
Jealousy didn't cross my mind, bad call :nah: I was referring to how they managed to sway his predictions in the first place, without even having to work and suck up to the teachers himself. It just demeans the effort other people put in, that's all. You understand that, right?

That's life.
xkayelzx
I dont recall saying the amount of money will change your predicted grades
My point was the money their parents put in to it affects the grades they finally achieve and come out with.

It really depends on the individual situation and the school. I dont see how 'putting in money' would affect a grade. Maybe the fact that the parents are willing to pay hints that they are more concerned with their childs education, consequently push them harder, and with more pressure , which might explain the higher overall grades in the private sector. But you can't teach intelligence.
xkayelzx

So its utter *******s that i went to a state school and came out with really shoddy results? does that make me unintelligent?
No it means i went to a **** school where their level of education is apalling. My parents couldnt afford to send to me a posh private school, so i had to struggle through ****ty state schools, where alls they care about is getting 5 A-cs so they put you in lower tier exams so that you can scrape an A
Is it utter *******s that in the same exam at a much better place of education i got an A apposed to a D in one year, rather than spending 2 years working towards a D?
Everyone knows that private schooled children are instantly in a better position to achieve, intelligence isnt natural in many cases, its reinforced.

not true. If you put in the work you will get the grades, wherever you are at. You cant make a general rule from comparing ONE state school with ONE private school.
xkayelzx
xkayelzx
I agree
i hate the fact that private schooled children can get to where they want just by money
**** all the hard work i put in, lets give them some money an we'l be fine
urgh

Speedbird2008
That is utter *******s. :rolleyes:

It is total *******s yes, that "private schooled children can get to where they want just by money". Go back about fifty years and beyond, it was unfortunately true yes. It also rings true in the City where old boy networks are still (un-officially) going very strong. Nowadays though, it is *******s.

I have no doubt that you are much more intelligent than I am, achieving your grades at a **** school is an amazing feat. I never once accused you of not being intelligent. I just said that what you were saying ("private schooled children can get to where they want just by money") is total *******s.

I also agree with you that "private schooled children are instantly in a better position to achieve, intelligence isnt natural in many cases, its reinforced". I see first hand people who are taught perhaps beyond their natural intelligence.

However, that is life, and don't take out your anger over a point which is patently obvious to be true.

And state schools do often predict above grades, as they are not nearly as concerned about their reputations as private schools are. Or so said my Head of Sixth Form who was also Head of Sixth Form at a state school in Liverpool, when I asked him the very question "is it just >my school< which is so harsh on predicted grades"...

Now go and chill out.

:smile:
DriftingBore
Well that's complete crap.

Pipe down knob head.

(I don't mean that, but I love the fact that knob has not been banned on the swear filter. :cool: :yay:)
Reply 32
Well I am proud of my Comprehensive roots :bootyshake:
Reply 33
Calm down kids! Maybe things have gone a little out of hand. The help some people get from private schools probably isnt fair, which is tough. Theres nothing you can do about it. Well, apart from work harder; plenty of state schooled pupils get into medical school too you know.

As for AS level results, as long as your school doesn't "declare" it to your universities, only your predicted grades will matter. If you can convince your teachers to predict you AAB or AAA then you should be fine.
Speedbird2008
It is total *******s yes, that "private schooled children can get to where they want just by money". Go back about fifty years and beyond, it was unfortunately true yes. It also rings true in the City where old boy networks are still (un-officially) going very strong. Nowadays though, it is *******s.

I have reason to suspect it still rings true in med school. Not necessarily through money, but through knowing people who know people. Not going to say any more though.

Get over it children, anyway. Focus on making the best of what you've got.
Naveed
Calm down kids! Maybe things have gone a little out of hand. The help some people get from private schools probably isnt fair, which is tough. Theres nothing you can do about it. Well, apart from work harder; plenty of state schooled pupils get into medical school too you know.

As for AS level results, as long as your school doesn't "declare" it to your universities, only your predicted grades will matter. If you can convince your teachers to predict you AAB or AAA then you should be fine.

I'm not sure if this question has come up already somewhere else, but I'm slightly worried that my school may have a cash-grades-in system. I foolishly forgot to enquire about this on results day, so I'm now I'm wondering that if my grades have been cashed in, would there be any way to 'un-cash' them? :confused:
L'amourantDeLaPenguin
I'm wondering that if my grades have been cashed in, would there be any way to 'un-cash' them? :confused:

No. Read this: http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/379/Reminder%20of%20change%20to%20the%20GCE%20Applied%20GCE%20and%20GNVQ%20certification%20and%20decline%20rules.pdf
Reply 37
I know someone who got a D is AS chemistry but got an offer from st.Georges.

Latest

Trending

Trending