The Student Room Group

Gap Year, Planning to Travel - Yet face Dilema

Im currently on my gap year, and working for about 4 months till i leave in january, however as i have a confirmed uni place for 2009 does this mean i am eligible to fill out a P38 form and not pay tax on anything i earn? as paying tax would take a good grand away from my earnings which i clearly would need for traveling, plus i dont have the time to fill in the tax return slip which takes like 8 weeks to get back. ANy suggestions here would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
not an expert but i dont think you can as a p38 is for students employed in a holiday for just over £6000...whereas a gap year isnt a FE holiday time. its a chosen year out
Reply 2
No. However if you earn under your tax allowance this tax year, you can claim back everything you paid in April.
Reply 3
As above, all income is taxed, the government are just so nice that they give it back to you :p:
Reply 4
thanks to all guys who responded. the only issue now is i actually leave in january , not april, therfore how would i go about reclaiming the tax? would i be able to send of the form after ive finished working in december and just get the money put into my account automatically whilst im travelling?

Latest