The Student Room Group

After running over my interview thousands of times...

...in my head, I've become really very worried about one thing that happened at the end of my first one.

I'd answered a few questions on chemistry and biology for the Professors interviewing me when right at the end one of them asked me "Why natural sciences?". I'd obviously thought about an answer to this one which I rattled off (without sounding too rehearsed). Now I'm worried because the more I think about it, the more I wonder why she asked me that at the end of the interview? It obviously wasn't to relax me, being at the end, so maybe she thought I wasn't right for the course? But I wasn't given the opportunity to discuss science in general or my other interests so how could she have gotten that opinion of me out of me answering questions on conjugation??

Aaargh! I'm stressing out so badly over this it's not normal. Please tell me you all got asked a 'general' question at the end of the interview like mine!!

Sheesh. I need to get my head looked at!
Reply 1
zombie
...in my head, I've become really very worried about one thing that happened at the end of my first one.

I'd answered a few questions on chemistry and biology for the Professors interviewing me when right at the end one of them asked me "Why natural sciences?". I'd obviously thought about an answer to this one which I rattled off (without sounding too rehearsed). Now I'm worried because the more I think about it, the more I wonder why she asked me that at the end of the interview? It obviously wasn't to relax me, being at the end, so maybe she thought I wasn't right for the course? But I wasn't given the opportunity to discuss science in general or my other interests so how could she have gotten that opinion of me out of me answering questions on conjugation??

Aaargh! I'm stressing out so badly over this it's not normal. Please tell me you all got asked a 'general' question at the end of the interview like mine!!

Sheesh. I need to get my head looked at!

I got "what kind of school did you go to?" at the end of mine.
And I'm sure I wasn't coming across as a female yob... :viking:

I don't think its anything to worry about though. She was probably meaning to ask it to you, but got so into the specific questioning it was more like an afterthought?

:cool: RJ
Reply 2
-RJ-
I got "what kind of school did you go to?" at the end of mine.
And I'm sure I wasn't coming across as a female yob... :viking:

I don't think its anything to worry about though. She was probably meaning to ask it to you, but got so into the specific questioning it was more like an afterthought?

:cool: RJ

Hmm...I hope so!

Think I would've found it more wierd if I was asked your question - I kept on thinking my accent sounded pretty common in comparison with my interviewers :redface:.
Reply 3
Probably meant absolutely diddly-squat. She probably just forgot to ask it at the beginning! It is HIGHLY unlikely that it meant she felt you weren't right for the course. Don't panic :smile:
Reply 4
MadNatSci
Probably meant absolutely diddly-squat. She probably just forgot to ask it at the beginning! It is HIGHLY unlikely that it meant she felt you weren't right for the course. Don't panic :smile:

I know I shouldn't obsess...it's just so natural right now for some reason! Thing is, she didn't seem to care what I said. She actually cut me off during my explanation! Have no idea how to think of my interviews really because I have nothing to compare them too - it's so frustrating. I would've sold my left arm (and that's saying something seeing as I'm left handed) to have been able to watch on camera the other natsci interviews.
Reply 5
lol at the end of my interview i was asked..."why st catharine's?" >< silly me had to make up a answer on the spot. me looked silly. me so stupid. me's gonna get rejctd lol.
Reply 6
zombie
I know I shouldn't obsess...it's just so natural right now for some reason! Thing is, she didn't seem to care what I said. She actually cut me off during my explanation! Have no idea how to think of my interviews really because I have nothing to compare them too - it's so frustrating. I would've sold my left arm (and that's saying something seeing as I'm left handed) to have been able to watch on camera the other natsci interviews.

It's entirely natural to obsess! I did too and as I'm sure you can see all the other applicants are as well :wink: But do try not to panic over it. Basically, you can't change anything now, so there isn't any point in worrying, but I know you do anyway... wish there was something I could say that would help, but I know nothing does!! But it's not that long to wait. Try to find things to distract you. Plan stuff you're going to do next year...
Reply 7
I already have! I'm taking a gap year to go do some sort of charity work in Africa/teaching english in China (hehe, need to choose) if I don't get in. I figure this way I'll at least have something else to look forward to if I get rejected......the whole travelling-for-a-year idea sounds really good to me atm.
Reply 8
zombie
I already have! I'm taking a gap year to go do some sort of charity work in Africa/teaching english in China (hehe, need to choose) if I don't get in. I figure this way I'll at least have something else to look forward to if I get rejected......the whole travelling-for-a-year idea sounds really good to me atm.

I did that too :biggrin: It's a really good thing to think about. Plan it - work on deciding what to do and work out exactly what you're going to do over the year. That should keep you occupied until you hear from Cambridge - it worked for me!
Reply 9
zombie

At the end of my Modern Greek interview, I got something like 'So, what do you hope to get out of this, exactly?', though I don't suppose it's quite the same as yours :redface: I really would not worry about it Cambridge is definitely not the be-all-and-end-all, and you'll probably end up accepted anyway!

Latest

Trending

Trending