The Student Room Group

carrots harmful when bad? how to tell?

this looks rather out of place in this section since most are about some sex/attraction problem- but this is titled health..

I bought some carrots very cheap-presumably because they were near their sell by date- theyd got black spots and felt slightly slimy- but when I peal them there completely ok- orange and crunchy

the only sign that they might not be alright is that they have this pattern that looks-i can only describe it like the bark of a tree or like yogurt or milk when its off maybe- but other than that they look completely fine and the one i tasted was completely fine

Im thinking if I steam them- since their vegetables- they wont be harmful to eat?- even if I eat quite a large amount (ie 800g or something)
If you've got rid of all the mouldy bits they should be fine.
personally I would have gone for the food section..
any idea how to move this to the food section?
Reply 4
Mods will.

Lol OP, I wouldnt even touch them. :p:
I wouldn't eat them but I've got a phobia of mold. I suppose they can't do much damage if you don't eat the mold.
Reply 6
Just eat the bits that look healthy - if they look bright and orange and are quite firm, they are fine. It's when they're black and squidgy that you've got to watch out!
Reply 7
Potatoes, carrots and onions tend to have sell-by dates that are far shorter than their actual usable dates.

Particularly potatoes; they're just fine even a month after the date by which they supposedly should have been consumed.
if you cut off the mouldy bits.. it should be fine. I used to do that with cheese... I'm still here :biggrin:

Latest