The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cowz
It's hardly fair though is it. When AS level exams were brought in, it was promised that they wouldn't effect peoples results/chances of getting unto university. Some subjects jump in difficulty from GCSE to AS. Other subjects have a more gradual gradient. Over two years such differences become less noticeable, but now that first sit AS exams have taken on an increased importance, its going to make certain subjects less attractive.

I think this is an attempt to lessen the 'why not just wait until everyone has their A-level results before making them decide their university choice' issue. It's pathetic that everything rests on predicted grades. Lazy exam markers!

I agree completely.

Of course my grades are half-decent but that's exactly the point, they're HALF decent, AABC.

And I'm just too confused about cashing in grades to even think about it but I guess it's too late anyways.
Reply 21
BuckBuckBuckaroo
I agree completely.

Of course my grades are half-decent but that's exactly the point, they're HALF decent, AABC.

And I'm just too confused about cashing in grades to even think about it but I guess it's too late anyways.

Fell for you mate. However, your grades are very respectable and I'm sure they'll cut you a little slack. They'll be aware that you can still resits and improve your grades after all.
Reply 22
NOOOOOOO :'(
I got BBBB..... Do I have hope.
I can get predicted A in Bio and chem as they were so close to an A

If I beg a lot maybe Philosophy

Otherwise im doomed :frown:
Right Ill try and make it simpler;

1. Not everyone has to cash in their grades
2. People who's grades are not cashed in will have to put 'pending' as their result
3. Many schools do this so it will not look fishy to exam officers if you dont have a grade on your sheet
4. If you reject your grades and put 'pending' and accept them at A2 the Unis dont know any different

Therefore if you're worried about your grades and they are already cashed in, I would talk to your school and see if it's possible to reject them, that way you dont put them on your UCAS and once you've done A2 your rejected AS marks are added to your A2 marks to give you overall A2 marks which should hopefully be As.

Hope this helps =]
Reply 24
Charlski
Um. I included my AS grades in my UCAS anyway when I applied. Why shouldn't you? Suggests you might have done poorly if you don't, in my opinion. Why are you so worried about it, anyway?

At my school we are only allowed to put overall AS grades down not module scores. So maybe some schools have a blanket policy of only showing predicted grades, not AS grades. In that case it isn't fair for admissions tutors to make assumptions.
Reply 25
Cowz
It's hardly fair though is it. When AS level exams were brought in, it was promised that they wouldn't effect peoples results/chances of getting unto university. Some subjects jump in difficulty from GCSE to AS. Other subjects have a more gradual gradient. Over two years such differences become less noticeable, but now that first sit AS exams have taken on an increased importance, its going to make certain subjects less attractive.

I think this is an attempt to lessen the 'why not just wait until everyone has their A-level results before making them decide their university choice' issue. It's pathetic that everything rests on predicted grades. Lazy exam markers!

there's a jump from AS to A2 as well you know; i'd say a bigger one myself.

if you are good enough to get into medicine you shouldn't be worrying. Tutors would consider all of these things anyway.
Reply 26
and what is the exact problem with getting AABC- or was the C in a science?!?
Reply 27
Owl1867
At my school we are only allowed to put overall AS grades down not module scores. So maybe some schools have a blanket policy of only showing predicted grades, not AS grades. In that case it isn't fair for admissions tutors to make assumptions.

That should not be up to the school. It is your application, you are entitled to put any information you feel relevant on it.
The C was in chemistry but was 2 UMS off a B so I'm getting it remarked even though I'm gonna resit, stupid but it's my only hope, after all it is only 1 raw mark.

And to everyone still saying that you can write pending, I don't know if you're still not up to date or if our school is lying (wouldn't put past them). But I now have a very strong feeling that the school is just lying to make us feel better.

Worst thing is they're doing it to give an advantage to the cleverer students with 3 A's (about 5 students out of 210) because they get to show they're capable of achieving their grades. But don't they realise they're putting the rest of us 205 at a disadvantage?? atm i'm not even speaking about me because medicine is a different story but they've made a decision which has cost 205 students the chance to get into any course which requires AAA...

Latest

Trending

Trending