The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wish you could neg that bot. Its so annoying!
Reply 2
I'm teaching the new Edexcel spec. It looks quite good so far - we are doing Crowded Coasts and Rebranding for Module 2 and starting with that one. we are off to dorset for our fieldwork in October to supplement this module as well.
Reply 3
Not sure what board (I think AQA) but I'm also starting Geography AS :biggrin:
It was probably my favourite subject at GCSE - I'm hoping it stays as good at AS!
Robbie10538
I wish you could neg that bot. Its so annoying!

You can, can't you?

Anyway, if now was two years ago I could post here saying 'me! Me!' As it is I can only reveal that I dropped it after AS.

:bhangra:
Reply 5
Geogger
I'm teaching the new Edexcel spec. It looks quite good so far - we are doing Crowded Coasts and Rebranding for Module 2 and starting with that one. we are off to dorset for our fieldwork in October to supplement this module as well.

My teacher is doing the same except we are going to suffolk in november

You can, can't you?

iot has disabled rep so I thought it doesn't do anything :confused:
Reply 6
I t might be interesting if you suggest that your teacher come onto this board as I'm sure you/we could all do with additional resources! I'm more than happy to 'swop' my fieldwork info with another teacher too. If he/she is interested there is a special edexcel .ning site for teachers to use and swop resources and I'd be happy to pass on the info.
Reply 7
Geogger
I t might be interesting if you suggest that your teacher come onto this board as I'm sure you/we could all do with additional resources! I'm more than happy to 'swop' my fieldwork info with another teacher too. If he/she is interested there is a special edexcel .ning site for teachers to use and swop resources and I'd be happy to pass on the info.

I'll ask her but I wouldn't expect her to. She's quite old and a bit "scared of technology"!
Reply 8
I'm starting my Geography AS on Monday (AQA I believe). I'm quite looking forward to starting, even though the first topic is rivers (which I've been doing for the past few years :rolleyes: ).

Saying that, its been a year since I've taken my GCSEs and I've forgotten alot of the basics :rolleyes: . Time to get out the old textbooks methinks.
Reply 9
Robbie10538
I'll ask her but I wouldn't expect her to. She's quite old and a bit "scared of technology"!

Well she won't like the way Edexcel are going then! Sounds as though she needs some encouragement from her class :p:
I've just started, I'm doing AQA, I think :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I sat the old syllabus this year. In our last lesson my Geography teacher said she didn't seem to impressed with the new spec - she mentioned that a lot of the pure theory had been taken out and replaced with more emphasis on contemporary issues. In her own words she said 'the pure Geography was gone'. :no: Geography was my most enjoyable subject - it is such a fascinating subject!
Reply 12
wazza07
I sat the old syllabus this year. In our last lesson my Geography teacher said she didn't seem to impressed with the new spec - she mentioned that a lot of the pure theory had been taken out and replaced with more emphasis on contemporary issues. In her own words she said 'the pure Geography was gone'. :no: Geography was my most enjoyable subject - it is such a fascinating subject!

In many ways I agree. The theoretical sections CAN be put in but they are no longer overtly part of the specifications. Good teachers will still always add them into the class teaching where they can, but I'm afraid that the best geography will end up moving back to university level. At A level there is so much focus on 'management' and problems rather than causes.
Reply 13
Geogger
In many ways I agree. The theoretical sections CAN be put in but they are no longer overtly part of the specifications. Good teachers will still always add them into the class teaching where they can, but I'm afraid that the best geography will end up moving back to university level. At A level there is so much focus on 'management' and problems rather than causes.

That's really crappy! I really do think students should be more thankful that there are teachers out there like Geogger who actually care about their subject/pupils. I was lucky - I had two awesome Geography teachers who made sure we were engaged in the subject and actually cared about our progress. I know some of my mates had some awful experiences at their school.
Geogger

Thats a shame, I don't need lecturing on global warming anymore. I really like the theory and is one of my main reasons for taking geography.
Reply 15
Jamstar

It was probably my favourite subject at GCSE - I'm hoping it stays as good at AS!

:laughing: Give it a few months...
I'm doing the AQA course at the moment - And I'm very unimpressed by it already!!

The topics are just dull and uninteresting.....but that may just be me being grouchy lol.
yh im doing the new edexcel geography, doesn't seem too bad so far to be honest.

and im getting a pretty gd trip out of it to wales for a week.

BAA! :wink:
Reply 18
Wat:Shark:Where
yh im doing the new edexcel geography, doesn't seem too bad so far to be honest.

and im getting a pretty gd trip out of it to wales for a week.

BAA! :wink:

By chance, I've just come back from the Brecon Beacons in Wales for duke of edinburgh...

For our geography fieldtrip, we are going to Flatford Mill in Suffolk. There is a centre there which we are doing it with. Anyone else going/gone there?
ahh i did my d of e up by the peak district, was it silver?

and i don't have a clue whereabouts in wales my trip is, i just no its the middle of nowhere!

Latest

Trending

Trending