The Student Room Group

Any Questions on how to do a good Economics Personal Statement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey Paul,

Thanks for your advice on my personal statement! It Helped a lot! I was just wondering- the LSE website says: You should include information on how your non-related, e.g. English and Sociology, subjects tie in with and complement your application to study Law. For instance, do these subjects give you a wider understanding of Law?

Isn't this a contradiction of what you said earlier?

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 41
biotoxic
Hey Paul,

Thanks for your advice on my personal statement! It Helped a lot! I was just wondering- the LSE website says: You should include information on how your non-related, e.g. English and Sociology, subjects tie in with and complement your application to study Law. For instance, do these subjects give you a wider understanding of Law?

Isn't this a contradiction of what you said earlier?

Thanks again :smile:

Do you mean law or economics?
^^ o_0, yeah.....This is the economics forum :p:
Reply 43
Sorry guys! I meant it for Economics- but obviously this example mentions law. Is the same advice not applicable for Economics then?
Reply 44
I have read a lot of economics PSs where candidates have a paragraph that goes:
I study Maths A-level and this has taught me to be aaaaaa and bbbbbb.
I study Economics A-level and this has taught me to be cccccc and ddddd.
I study Physics A-level and this has taught me to be eeeeee and fffff.
(Where each of aaaaaa/bbbbbb etc is a desirable skill or quality.)

Much better is to do a sentence on each quality and give evidence that you have got that quality. The evidence should not only be A-levels: that would be weak. It would show a lack of self-awareness and imagination.
Reply 45
Added 2 new introductuary questions
Does my PS matter?
Yes. It is the first, best and probably only chance you have to sell yourself as an Economist:
i) Show your interest in the subject.
ii) Show your ability in the subject
iii) Show your comprehension of the subject.

What about my exam results?
Well exam results are important as well. But they don’t sell your motivation or interest in the subject, only your capability. And lots of other candidates will also have good exam results. So it is important to use your PS to make you stand out.
Reply 46
Added a new question.
What format should I use for the economic concept section?
Previously I said about:
i) stating the idea (1 or 2 sentences)
ii) giving your reaction: feelings and thoughts (1 or 2 sentences)
Another format would be:
i) give a common sense idea (or old economic) idea
ii) give an economic (or new economic) idea
iii)Give your reaction.
Reply 47
Hey, thanks for your great advice!

I was wondering, how easy is it to tie in another subject (management) in the econ PS?
Reply 48
cactus_c
Hey, thanks for your great advice!

I was wondering, how easy is it to tie in another subject (management) in the econ PS?

It is a disaster. Makes it nearly impossible to produce a focused PS that sells you for either of subjects you are applying for,
Reply 49
Paulwhy
It is a disaster. Makes it nearly impossible to produce a focused PS that sells you for either of subjects you are applying for,

Ouch. So I suppose that applying for econ at UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Notts and management at LSE is a bad idea? Since the subjects are quite related, and the management course less competitive, I was hoping that it would be 'easier' lol.
Reply 50
cactus_c
Ouch. So I suppose that applying for econ at UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Notts and management at LSE is a bad idea? Since the subjects are quite related, and the management course less competitive, I was hoping that it would be 'easier' lol.

Don't apply for management at LSE with an economics PS.
Either:
i) apply for econ at LSE
ii) apply for econ at somewhere else (if you think econ at LSE impossible).
Reply 51
Hey, Paulwhy, quick question. I've been reading a few books, one of which you mentioned before, The Armchair Economist. I find the book interesting in parts which I can understand, however slightly difficult to comprehend in other parts. I would like to refer to it in my PS, but I don't think I would feel comfortable if I was interviewed on the book. Should I still refer to it?
Reply 52
Ragzy
Hey, Paulwhy, quick question. I've been reading a few books, one of which you mentioned before, The Armchair Economist. I find the book interesting in parts which I can understand, however slightly difficult to comprehend in other parts. I would like to refer to it in my PS, but I don't think I would feel comfortable if I was interviewed on the book. Should I still refer to it?

Firstly many unis not interview for economics.
Secondly getting an interview would be a start.
Thirdly if you get an interview they may not mention the book.
Fourthly if they do mention the book then you can:
i) expand on what you talked about in your PS.
ii) mention some of the other ideas in the book.
But neither of these require you understand every sentence on every page.

So I think "The Armchair Economist" is still a good choice. And Yes I like "The Armchair Economist": it is such an extreme book likely to produce strong reactions, give you something to write about.

I am no longer a PS Helper but if you want me to review a draft once you are ready then please pm me.
Reply 53
Still have to finish the PS, but thanks for the offer! Will definately take you up on it.
Why are you no longer a PS helper, Paul? I appreciated your help with my PS, even if it was very destructive :smile:
Reply 55
Deipnosophist123
Why are you no longer a PS helper, Paul? I appreciated your help with my PS, even if it was very destructive :smile:

If you want further help you can pm me.
Hard to give a simple reason for why any thing happens! But one of the major issues with the PS Helper system is with matching up PSs with PS Helpers..

Also I think when PS reviewing the reviewer needs to be critical rather than constructive. A reviewer can point out what bits don't work properly (be critical), but only the applicant can improve it (be constructive). So you could say that the role of a good reviewer is to destroy the bad (be destructive) in order for the applicant to replace it with the good.
Would you recommend the same structure for someone who hasn't read any economics course?
Reply 57
Capocrimini
Would you recommend the same structure for someone who hasn't read any economics course?

Yes.
Only comment I would make is that taking an idea from a "school" economics textbook appears less week if you have not been taught economics at school. But it still would not be optimal.
Reply 58
Fortunately I found this thread.
From the beginning I was impressive already.
Frankly I am going to start the IB Diploma course soon, therefore any questions/answers are all helpful for me to start drafting my Personal Statement.
I should come back and seek for your help soon.
Best regards.
Reply 59
Samsoonie
Fortunately I found this thread.
From the beginning I was impressive already.
Frankly I am going to start the IB Diploma course soon, therefore any questions/answers are all helpful for me to start drafting my Personal Statement.
I should come back and seek for your help soon.
Best regards.

Thanks for the praise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending