The Student Room Group

Any Questions on how to do a good Economics Personal Statement?

Scroll to see replies

Dan-IW
It clearly didn't do you any harm :p:

So it probably depends on both the books, but more importantly how they are used and talked about in the PS.

Agreed. Personally I found that there was little to write about my interest in the subject other than the books I've read and things like Target 2.0. Can't do you any harm really, although Freakonomics might be a bit of a cliché and I'm sure a lot of people put that (I know I did:fatcontroller: )
Reply 81
hahaha alex, definetely didnt do you any harm at all!

I have read Paulwhy's post and have taken his advice on board about an economist's theory, but it didnt explicitly answer my question about including books.

So would everyone's advice be to include books, but only when they are relevant and when they can be used to say something about your interest in economics?

Thanks
Reply 82
redsox20
hahaha alex, definetely didnt do you any harm at all!

I have read Paulwhy's post and have taken his advice on board about an economist's theory, but it didnt explicitly answer my question about including books.

So would everyone's advice be to include books, but only when they are relevant and when they can be used to say something about your interest in economics?

Thanks

If the Econ PS FAQ does not explictly say that there is no marginal return from listing economics books then it should! :smile:
Reply 83
Thanks again for your reply.

But is there any marginal return from listing books, but making it relevant to your PS.
Reply 84
redsox20
Thanks again for your reply.

But is there any marginal return from listing books, but making it relevant to your PS.

If you use books to get relevancy then you are not listing.
Reply 85
This is a problem I feel I've run into in my PS.

Do the 'book theory examples' have to be quite academic? Does the theory or example have to be something 'meaningful' or can they be trivial?
Reply 86
Is game theory a good thing to say you've read up on?
Reply 87
Ahh ok, sorry I didn't make it clear in my OP, but I actually meant to gain relevancy, not just a list.

Thanks again
Reply 88
sv90
This is a problem I feel I've run into in my PS.

Do the 'book theory examples' have to be quite academic? Does the theory or example have to be something 'meaningful' or can they be trivial?

It does want to be academic not trivial. However I suspect that what you think is trivial probably is not so to an economist.

Rob_dob
Is game theory a good thing to say you've read up on?

Saying "I have read some Game Theory books" would be weak.
At the other extreme showing an understand of a Game Theory concept would be strong.
Reply 89
redsox20
Ahh ok, sorry I didn't make it clear in my OP, but I actually meant to gain relevancy, not just a list.

Thanks again

Well most of the econ PSs that give more mutiple books reference do little more than give:
i)The title
ii) The Author's name
iii)That the applicant has read it.
And that is just not very impressive!

To be fair there is more content than that but it is like:
i)"this is a macro book and I like macro"
or
ii)"this is a macro book and macro is important"
and turns that neither of those 2 things wins you many brownie points.

But what is impressive is actually showing understand of the content of a book.
Reply 90
Well my 'trivial' example is about price discrimination (using the 'popcorn in cinemas' Armchair Economist example). Maybe if it could be extrapolated to something more significant it could become 'academic.'
Reply 91
sv90
Well my 'trivial' example is about price discrimination (using the 'popcorn in cinemas' Armchair Economist example). Maybe if it could be extrapolated to something more significant it could become 'academic.'

Then I was correct. To an Economist price discrimination is always significant and never trivial. And if done properly work on it by a compotent Economist would be academic.

So there is no need for you to try and appear clever! If you have something to say in your own voice about how the idea can similalrly applied to something else say it. If you don't don't!
Reply 92
I thought I included books in my personal statement, but I just looked at my application on track and it turns out I didn't include any! Didn't seem to do me any harm though, as I managed to get offers from LSE and Cambridge.

So you can look at it from either end of the spectrum: alex_hk90 used 7 books, and I used none. We both got really good offers. Therefore I think worrying too much about it is pointless - just let your enthusiasm for the subject shine through. If that means using books then go ahead, but that's not the only way to show your passion :smile:
Reply 93
With most unis the PS is your only chance to show that you are an economist. But with unis that interview (esp. Cambridge as they interview nearlly everyone) PS is less important.
Reply 94
I have no idea how to end my personal statement! Any ideas? I would like a really powerful ending- but nothings coming to me :| ahh

Hope your all well :smile:
....and THAT is why I want to study Economics.

Sound good? :p:
Reply 96
Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this, much appreciated.
Reply 97
Paulwhy
Then I was correct. To an Economist price discrimination is always significant and never trivial. And if done properly work on it by a compotent Economist would be academic.

So there is no need for you to try and appear clever! If you have something to say in your own voice about how the idea can similalrly applied to something else say it. If you don't don't!

I've bolded the parts of my post which could possibly be used in the FAQ. The rest may be kinda irrelevant to anyone else.

oops, I forgot! It wasn't to do with the cinema at all (that was a separate thing in the book). It was about how bands don't charge more when they'll easily sell out anyway.

Whilst you say that the economist will find it significant, would they not balk at the sort of triviality of the situation? I worry they will think 'lol, this guy's talking about bands and ticket pricing. Not exactly profound stuff.'

Of course the easy solution would be to just find something more deep, but easier said than done. fwiw, I found the thing in the Armchair Economist about the veil (Rawls?) quite interesting and 'deep.' I think though that it was more philosophy in an economics book rather than being an economic concept? I may be wrong though.

'If you don't...don't' Well unfortunately I can't think of anything to extrapolate it to! How much of your 'own words' should there be? Just a judgment on the theory/example and a comment on the importance/uses of the concept?
Reply 98
An addition:
What about Joint Degrees?
Applying for combined honours degrees

LSE offers 16 combined honours programmes. Applicants applying to these programmes are advised that it is essential that you give equal weighting in your personal statement to both combined subjects.

For instance, if you are applying to Government and Economics you must show evidence of interest in both subjects. As half of the course covers Government, the Admissions Tutor would not make an offer to somebody who applies to this course, but only refers to their interest in Economics.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/UCAS%20personal%20statement/writing_your_personal_statement.htm

So basicly you can't successfully apply for economics at some places and joint degrees at other places, and expect to get offers from top unis.
Reply 99
sv90
Whilst you say that the economist will find it significant, would they not balk at the sort of triviality of the situation? I worry they will think 'lol, this guy's talking about bands and ticket pricing. Not exactly profound stuff.'

Economists are happy when they have an explaination of anything (i.e. any small aspect of life). It does not need to be everything. :smile:

sv90
'If you don't...don't' Well unfortunately I can't think of anything to extrapolate it to! How much of your 'own words' should there be? Just a judgment on the theory/example and a comment on the importance/uses of the concept?

Some kind of reaction would be good. e.g. Some indication that you were a thinking feeling human being would be a start!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending