The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
OldTimes
Wait.. did someone say we don't have internet in your rooms?

you don't have wireless internet, you do have a cable connection...but i just plugged in my wireless router with that cable, and I had my own wireless connection :biggrin: (put a password otherwise its painfully slow)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 41
hey could you tell me how I can obtain such a wireless router, i.e. what one to get that will work at the uni and the basics of how to set it up when I arrive?
Do u need a wireless router?
Reply 43
No, don't think so. Only if you want wireless internet, if you're happy with a wire you can plug it in.
The wire you get, if I remember rightly, stretches all the way across your room, so it's not a problem connecting VIA that.
Reply 45
Craigjamieson88
The wire you get, if I remember rightly, stretches all the way across your room, so it's not a problem connecting VIA that.

Is the internet price included in the rent and can I plug in my laptop and expect it to work on the move in day? :smile:

X
Reply 46
This may seem a silly question, but hey ho I'm going to ask it anyway!

When people go out on freshers and any night for matter, I mean to Drapers and/or the other nights the union run, do people go casual in like jeans and t shirt, or is it a more dressy affair - dresses, heels and the like?

I know that I'll go in what I'm most comfortable in, but I don't want to be all dressed up or down and look out of place! :rolleyes:

X
Reply 47
bionic07
hey could you tell me how I can obtain such a wireless router, i.e. what one to get that will work at the uni and the basics of how to set it up when I arrive?

Get a linksys WRT54G (at least thats what I have, and LOADS of people do) its good quality, lots of options and will last you at Uni and at home..around £20 too! Just plug and play really, although put on a password otherwise other people could use it :wink:
Reply 48
doingmybest
Is the internet price included in the rent and can I plug in my laptop and expect it to work on the move in day? :smile:

X

yaa all inclusive and it will; although the odd user has trouble connecting, visit the Queen's Building Computing help people and they'll sort you out.
Reply 49
doingmybest

When people go out on freshers and any night for matter, I mean to Drapers and/or the other nights the union run, do people go casual in like jeans and t shirt, or is it a more dressy affair - dresses, heels and the like?

I know that I'll go in what I'm most comfortable in, but I don't want to be all dressed up or down and look out of place! :rolleyes:

X

lmao; I've heard stupid(er) but this was still funny!

Just dress casually; some girls overdress and its just a lil tasteless really, especially when they wear near nothing! Most guys are jeans and a tshirt/shirt/polo, lol.

Whatever you do, there'll be others the same. Most the girls in my flat just dressed casually...heels hurt if your gonna dance (obviously NOT talking from experience, lol).
Reply 50
DeSiFiEd
yaa all inclusive and it will; although the odd user has trouble connecting, visit the Queen's Building Computing help people and they'll sort you out.

Will the wire they give you be in your room when you arrive or do you have to collect it from somewhere? Coming from overseas, email is the only way I'll have to let my family know I arrived safely. My worried parents will be expecting immediate emails so I'll have to hook up my laptop first thing.
Reply 51
mariahb
Will the wire they give you be in your room when you arrive or do you have to collect it from somewhere? Coming from overseas, email is the only way I'll have to let my family know I arrived safely. My worried parents will be expecting immediate emails so I'll have to hook up my laptop first thing.

Already there, if not contact the computing peeps in Queen's Building they'll get you one.

Use Skype for long-term comms to Home maybe too?
Reply 52
doingmybest

X

Dude, seriously, you're at uni now. No one cares, dress how ever you want. Don't give a toss about how you look and what others think. You are free.
Reply 53
bionic07
Dude, seriously, you're at uni now. No one cares, dress how ever you want. Don't give a toss about how you look and what others think. You are free.

looll inspiring speech on University gifting you with Liberty :yep:
If you don't have a cable in your room, go to the residences office under the green building and they will give you one. Do your inventory as soon as possible too! To avoid problems later, check the state of your chair [that all screws are in], your curtains et cetera.
Reply 55
Do people take laptops to lectures? Would be pretty nifty to record them all.
Reply 56
doingmybest

X

It's not a stupid question, I've been wondering the EXACT same thing! :smile:
Reply 57
OldTimes
Do people take laptops to lectures? Would be pretty nifty to record them all.

In Law, probably 1/6 people use Laptops...its very useful.
Only ever seen one person using it in Engineering but I'm hoping to start using mine this year. Don't see why not!
Laptops are great for wordy courses but suck for mathsy courses. So basically all the arts, law, etc they're fantastic. Maths/Physics/Biology/Chemistry/Engineering etc, they're a right pain for.

Latest

Trending

Trending