The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Arrogant Git
Knock Simon Singh's watered down account of how Wiles proved Fermat's last theorem if you will, but it is probably the thing that persuaded me to apply for maths rather than any other subject. I read it over the summer between year 12 and 13 and it demonstrated to me that maths isn't what school maths is.

Also everyone self-studies before uni- for example STEP. Everyone has to do that (pretty much) on their own don't they. And some of us had to self study for Further maths.

But STEP isn't before the interview, so you're not demonstrating self-study skills to the interviewers (unless you do STEP work before interview, which I certainly would recommend to get used to harder questions). Plus STEP isn't exactly the most convincing form of 'self-study'; it's work you've already covered, just with harder questions. I self-taught 14 maths modules, but not everyone does this and hence not everyone can demonstrate to the interviewers that they are motivated enough to do so.

Everyone pretty much will have read 'Fermat's Last Theorem' so it's not putting the OP or any other applicant ahead of the others. Not many applicants have had even a brief look into analysis (just an example) so this would set them apart more from other applicants (plus give them something nice and mathematical to talk about at the interview rather than a book that doesn't contain any actual maths).

It could even just be an area in A-level maths/further maths that interests them - for instance if a student likes calculus, he or she may read ahead to the differentiation and integration in further maths. It doesn't have to be university level maths. Just something to demonstrate motivation and enthusiasm. I don't see much/any point in reading 'popular' maths books when most people will do exactly the same, and it takes time away from more productive maths study that will impress the interviewers and set you apart from other candidates.
Simba
But STEP isn't before the interview, so you're not demonstrating self-study skills to the interviewers (unless you do STEP work before interview, which I certainly would recommend to get used to harder questions). Plus STEP isn't exactly the most convincing form of 'self-study'; it's work you've already covered, just with harder questions. I self-taught 14 maths modules, but not everyone does this and hence not everyone can demonstrate to the interviewers that they are motivated enough to do so.

Everyone pretty much will have read 'Fermat's Last Theorem' so it's not putting the OP or any other applicant ahead of the others. Not many applicants have had even a brief look into analysis (just an example) so this would set them apart more from other applicants (plus give them something nice and mathematical to talk about at the interview rather than a book that doesn't contain any actual maths).

It could even just be an area in A-level maths/further maths that interests them - for instance if a student likes calculus, he or she may read ahead to the differentiation and integration in further maths. It doesn't have to be university level maths. Just something to demonstrate motivation and enthusiasm. I don't see much/any point in reading 'popular' maths books when most people will do exactly the same, and it takes time away from more productive maths study that will impress the interviewers and set you apart from other candidates.

I see your point, but perhaps doing that is a little too keen. Maths, as a subject, is pretty unique in Cambridge in that a large minority (more than a third) of applicants get offers. You don't need to be über-keen - as lots of people have already said, talent for maths is the main requirement. Doing 18 maths modules isn't strictly necessary (if that's how you want to spend you sixth form then fair enough, but it's not for everyone) nor is being well up on things that are beyond the A-level syllabus. Someone is vastly better off reading a book that they enjoy and whets their appetite for maths than a book that they don't understand and puts them off, in my opinion.

There is also a slight disadvantage of being really well-ahead on the maths before you start is you find first year deceptively easy. When your coursemates are struggling through unfamiliar material, you'll breeze through with few difficulties. Then, when you get on to second year, it comes as a nasty shock that you actually need to work hard.

My interview (i'm sure it varies slightly from college to college) consisted of a two phases. The first (an admissions test and first couple of interview questions) tried to find out what I knew. The second phase involved asking me questions slightly above the level I was at, to see how I could answer them with occasional prodding in the right direction. There was a brief (5 min) chat about my personal statement but that was about it. Doing lots more maths merely makes the questions they ask you a bit more advanced.
Reply 22
Arrogant Git
I see your point, but perhaps doing that is a little too keen. Maths, as a subject, is pretty unique in Cambridge in that a large minority (more than a third) of applicants get offers. You don't need to be über-keen - as lots of people have already said, talent for maths is the main requirement. Doing 18 maths modules isn't strictly necessary (if that's how you want to spend you sixth form then fair enough, but it's not for everyone) nor is being well up on things that are beyond the A-level syllabus. Someone is vastly better off reading a book that they enjoy and whets their appetite for maths than a book that they don't understand and puts them off, in my opinion.

There is also a slight disadvantage of being really well-ahead on the maths before you start is you find first year deceptively easy. When your coursemates are struggling through unfamiliar material, you'll breeze through with few difficulties. Then, when you get on to second year, it comes as a nasty shock that you actually need to work hard.

My interview (i'm sure it varies slightly from college to college) consisted of a two phases. The first (an admissions test and first couple of interview questions) tried to find out what I knew. The second phase involved asking me questions slightly above the level I was at, to see how I could answer them with occasional prodding in the right direction. There was a brief (5 min) chat about my personal statement but that was about it. Doing lots more maths merely makes the questions they ask you a bit more advanced.

'Too keen'? We're talking about doing a subject at arguably the best university in the world for it. There's no such thing as 'too keen' in this instance surely. Doing 18 maths modules isn't extreme at all either; you can self-teach a module in a few days. Take the IMO people as a much more extreme example. I'd hardly call IMO people 'too keen' though - they just love maths and want to do as much as they can. I know it's not necessary to do maths beyond the A-level syllabus but this is Cambridge we're talking about. The best applicants should want to push themselves. It's certainly not a case of "oh darn, got to do more maths..."! If anyone who is doing maths (or wants to) at Cambridge honestly feels as though doing maths is a burden then I question why on earth they are applying (not just to Cambridge, but for maths full stop). Luckily the interviewers weed out most of the people who feel that maths should only be done when it needs to be done. I'm not saying you feel this way, just that the comment about it being unnecessary is a silly thing to say. There's no reason why a Cambridge mathematician wouldn't understand further maths or even basic university maths if using a proper book or decent lecture notes.

With regards to your second paragraph, it would be rather silly if you sat through the first year all smug knowing everything and not working at all then found it hard in second year. If a student had the motivation and enthusiasm to study first year work beforehand there's no reason why he or she wouldn't push himself whilst in the first year by looking at harder material of interest to him or her.

The interviews vary from college to college - which college is yours? At mine we did a test beforehand, then our solutions from the test were reviewed by the interviewers. In my interview we corrected a couple of small mistakes in my solutions then had a discussion about group theory. I also mentioned that I had been self teaching analysis and they seemed quite impressed with this.

I suppose it varies from college to college but knowing your stuff and having taught yourself some extras surely adds to your application.

However, you should only do what you enjoy. There's no point teaching yourself university stuff if you don't enjoy it! That said, people going to do maths at Cambridge are most likely going to be very enthusiastic and 'into' maths, and hence will want to do as much as they can :smile: .
Reply 23
Simba
I think you should do as much actual maths as you can. I never have been a fan of 'popular' maths books; anyone can read these, you're not setting yourself apart from the other candidates by reading a completely watered down account of Fermat's Last Theorem. Candidates going to any university for maths could read books like those.
Agree with this.

If you knuckle down and do a fair amount of BMO/STEP before interview you will be more prepared for the type of questions they ask at interview (a little harder than A-level questions). If you want to show even more enthusiasm, have a look into accessible university topics. Make sure you know A-level maths inside out and show enthusiasm once again by perhaps self-studying some of the further maths course ahead of time (things like FP1 differential equations and FP2 integration could come in useful for interview - they have a love of asking calculus questions).

I don't think you need to be doing BMO questions. They're quite pure based and pure isn't for everybody. Working through Siklos' booklet in the couple of months before the interview would be enough. Making sure you properly know the A level course you've covered so far is paramount in my view than learning "accessible university topics" (what's the point in learning it before you get there and then having to unlearn wrong practices you may have absorbed?)
Basically you want to do things that will put you above and beyond the average applicant. You want to make sure that the interviewers remember you for your enthusiasm and love for maths, not some other applicant.
I disagree. The interviewers make notes. If you come across reasonably interested in what you're doing then I'd say that's enough. I suppose it might depend which college you're applying to. Somewhere like trinity where they'll be interviewing 100+ people maybe you'll want to try and stick out. but a college interviewing about 30 people, I'd be very surprised if the interviewers didnt remember every single one, especially given the information they have about each individual.

Again, I disagree - not everyone who applies to Cambridge (and not even everyone who eventually goes to Cambridge) is an amazing genius at maths. It is certainly a requirement to be good, but I feel that making it seem as though you have to be a genius to get a place puts some people off. Most of the mathematicians you see in the maths forum who are at Cambridge got firsts, so you can't really base the average off those people. I imagine the top mathematicians on this forum are leagues ahead of the average Cambridge mathematicians, let alone the worst ones!

True. :yep:
Reply 24
I'd just like to make a small point about doing STEP and BMO questions as preparation for the interview(s). These questions are on average far, far, far harder than anything I was given at interview. My interview questions were more comparable to the first ten questions of an SMC paper. In fact one of the questions I was asked had been on a Maths Challenge. I didn't realise that I'd already done the question until after the interview finished (and I actually got it wrong in the interview, despite getting it after about 20s when I did it previously).

Having said that, I'd recommend doing the first 15 or so questions along with 31, 32 and 33 of the STEP booklet as these are all relatively simple STEP questions that might resemble what you get at interivew. One or two mech and stats questions could help too (I wasn't asked any proper stats, but I did have a mechanics question).

I got an offer without any of this preparation though (but then I did have a reasonable amount of Maths Challenge experience). I found the important thing was to have a good understanding of what we studied at A level along with graph sketching skills and some experience of problem solving.
Reply 25
I think, that's partly because of time constraints. Interviews aren't 3+ hours long, so they wouldn't be able to ask many questions if they only asked questions of STEP or BMO difficulty and provided no assistance. However, the fact is that they do give hints, so it is possible that they will give somewhat difficult problems.
Reply 26
If you answer the fastest questions quickly enough, you'll get harder things. My last question was integrate lnsinx between 0 and pi/2, which I later discovered to come from an early 90s fmb/III STEP paper (there was another part on the step paper, but it took about 3 minutes, so yeah). It was also the very end of the day, so time won't have been as much of an issue though. Also it's good to know a bit of number theory, and BMO is a good way to learn the basics.
Reply 27
Zhen Lin
I think, that's partly because of time constraints.
I agree that that's a factor. The extra stress of it being an interview rather than an exam is proably taken into consideration too. The point that I originally intended to make, though I forgot about it part way through my post, is that struggling with STEP or BMO questions is not a reason to be scared of the interview.
Reply 28
pyrolol
If you answer the fastest questions quickly enough, you'll get harder things. My last question was integrate lnsinx between 0 and pi/2, which I later discovered to come from an early 90s fmb/III STEP paper (there was another part on the step paper, but it took about 3 minutes, so yeah). It was also the very end of the day, so time won't have been as much of an issue though. Also it's good to know a bit of number theory, and BMO is a good way to learn the basics.

That was my first question. :frown: Fun though. :cool:
Simba
You say anyone can read proper books, but it takes quite a good amount of motivation and skill to be able to self-study and learn some proper maths. A good deal more dedication than reading a watered down account of how Wiles proved FLT. Not to say that reading books like FLT is an inherently bad idea, just that I think the time could be better spent elsewhere. I also think it's a great idea to at least try self-studying before university since it helps a lot at university. Independent study skills are essential.

Just giving my 2 cents :p: .

I found that really interesting. I want to apply for maths at Cambridge (though I'm far off, I just started my AS year) and I know that lots of people have been self studying modules. In my school, we do C1 C2 C3 S1 S2 S3 in the first year, and C4 FP1 FP2 M1 M2 M3 in the second year. I wanted to possibly do an AS in additional further maths, by taking FP3 S4 and M4, but we're with WJEC and they don't offer more than 13 modules. Could I take those modules with a different board (i.e. OCR MEI) and if I can, is it worth it?

Obviously I'd have STEP to worry about that year, and I intend to take all 5 AS subjects to A2 (but maybe that's a bad idea and I should just concentrate on maths, further maths and physics?) so it would be a heavy workload!

Maybe I'll just wait until I'm rejected before I make any decisions. :p:

(Also, as I'm actually replying to someone in one of these threads, I may as well ask the question I've been too scared to ask because everyone gets ripped apart for asking it: will not getting an A* at GCSE affect my chances? :rolleyes: )

Wow, long reply, sorry. :o:

Edit: I didn't say I'd be self-studying the extra AS, which is in fact the whole point of this reply.
Reply 30
AnonyMatt
I may as well ask the question I've been too scared to ask because everyone gets ripped apart for asking it: will not getting an A* at GCSE affect my chances?

You didn't get an A* in maths...?
AnonyMatt
I found that really interesting. I want to apply for maths at Cambridge (though I'm far off, I just started my AS year) and I know that lots of people have been self studying modules. In my school, we do C1 C2 C3 S1 S2 S3 in the first year, and C4 FP1 FP2 M1 M2 M3 in the second year. I wanted to possibly do an AS in additional further maths, by taking FP3 S4 and M4, but we're with WJEC and they don't offer more than 13 modules. Could I take those modules with a different board (i.e. OCR MEI) and if I can, is it worth it?

Seriously, 13 modules is more than enough. I had 9. Do something else instead. Learn to play the accordion. Teach yourself Portuguese. Take up tap-dancing. Anything. You'll have more than enough maths to keep you busy when you do 3 years (or more) at Cambridge, without having to stress out with insane levels of maths in year 13.

There'll also be some overlap between WJEC courses and OCR courses, so you'll be doing some of the same stuff twice. Also, don't bother with Decision maths- from what I've heard, it's both easy and pointless. From people who've taken it and tutors. But do WJEC FP3. As far as I remember it has some quite cool stuff on it.

Obviously I'd have STEP to worry about that year, and I intend to take all 5 AS subjects to A2 (but maybe that's a bad idea and I should just concentrate on maths, further maths and physics?) so it would be a heavy workload!

Maybe I'll just wait until I'm rejected before I make any decisions. :p:

(Also, as I'm actually replying to someone in one of these threads, I may as well ask the question I've been too scared to ask because everyone gets ripped apart for asking it: will not getting an A* at GCSE affect my chances? :rolleyes: )

Wow, long reply, sorry. :o:

Edit: I didn't say I'd be self-studying the extra AS, which is in fact the whole point of this reply.

What subjects are you doing? Do you enjoy them? I'd do at least one non-maths/physics subject to keep a sense of perspective, but it won't hurt your chances too much if you don't. STEP shouldn't take too much of your time so you could, feasibly, do all 5.

If you've got decent As at A-level, an A at GCSE shouldn't hurt your chances. I found maths incredibly tedious up until AS and didn't try very hard for GCSE. I can see it happening that you do sufficiently little work and are taught sufficiently badly to get an A. If I'd had the teacher I had in year 10 in year 11, I'd probably have got an A or worse.
Simba
You didn't get an A* in maths...?

Don't say it like that! :p:

I got an A, and after looking at the grade boundaries, it's because of coursework that I didn't get an A*. :o:
Arrogant Git
Seriously, 13 modules is more than enough. I had 9. Do something else instead. Learn to play the accordion. Teach yourself Portuguese. Take up tap-dancing. Anything. You'll have more than enough maths to keep you busy when you do 3 years (or more) at Cambridge, without having to stress out with insane levels of maths in year 13.

There'll also be some overlap between WJEC courses and OCR courses, so you'll be doing some of the same stuff twice. Also, don't bother with Decision maths- from what I've heard, it's both easy and pointless. From people who've taken it and tutors. But do WJEC FP3. As far as I remember it has some quite cool stuff on it.

What subjects are you doing? Do you enjoy them? I'd do at least one non-maths/physics subject to keep a sense of perspective, but it won't hurt your chances too much if you don't. STEP shouldn't take too much of your time so you could, feasibly, do all 5.

If you've got decent As at A-level, an A at GCSE shouldn't hurt your chances. I found maths incredibly tedious up until AS and didn't try very hard for GCSE. I can see it happening that you do sufficiently little work and are taught sufficiently badly to get an A. If I'd had the teacher I had in year 10 in year 11, I'd probably have got an A or worse.

I'm teaching myself Japanese, is that worth anything even if I don't get a qualification (I thought about taking the AS and A2 units in my A2 year if I get close enough to a B standard by then)? I suppose it's something to put in my PS. :p:
I've also wanted to learn the violin (I did for a few weeks in year 10 but I was paired with my overly-camp friend who made the lessons all about him and his mistakes (and he just wanted to get out of PE... which he didn't) so I (we) quit) but it seems a bit pointless to me if I could spend the same time doing some extra modules.

Is there any point in doing the FP3 module? I won't get a qualification, it'll be my 13th module. It just makes more sense to me to do the FP3 with OCR MEI (I'm aware of the difference in content) and do another 2 modules for an extra AS. I wouldn't do decision modules unless I were to go for the entire triple maths qualification - S4 + M4 or M4 + M5 would be the way to go for me!

I'm taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Yes, I enjoy them all! If I were to drop one though, it would be biology. I'm not so sure about what you said about STEP - from what I've read, it will take up quite alot of my time. :rolleyes:

My year 10 and 11 teacher was very annoying, and told the 12 of us doing higher tier to come back after school to learn the B-A* topics. I didn't go, and I self taught the topics. When we did coursework, we were given no direction (yes I know you're not supposed to get help, but when you're told to investigate a bunch of numbers, how far do you go?) so I tried reading the mark scheme myself, but it didn't make much sense to me. The coursework is why I didn't get an A*. I was very lazy, but still, I had no trouble in the exams. I' confident I can get 90% in most, if not all of the A level maths and further maths modules, even though that's a silly thing to say as I don't even know the content!

Thanks for your feedback. :smile:
Reply 34
Cool. I taught myself Japanese too in year 13, though I'm rather sure that it didn't add much to my application; the extra maths I was doing on the other hand did as it was (a lot) more relevant.

FP3 contains a lot of relevant material to university maths (well, it did on my board anyway!) M4/M5/S4 are good modules too (again, I haven't done OCR, but on Edexcel they were good). FP3 is certainly worth doing even if you don't do two others.

Did you get a high A* on the exams? Maybe your circumstances count as 'special', I'm not sure how it works exactly as far as that is concerned.

What level are you at in Japanese? It would be nice to have someone to learn with :smile: .
AnonyMatt
I'm teaching myself Japanese, is that worth anything even if I don't get a qualification (I thought about taking the AS and A2 units in my A2 year if I get close enough to a B standard by then)? I suppose it's something to put in my PS. :p:

Surely being able to speak a language is worth far more than any amount of letters on your UCAS form? :P But it looks pretty good on your CV too. I still think you should learn to tap dance. The world needs more tap-dancing mathmos :smile:

I've also wanted to learn the violin (I did for a few weeks in year 10 but I was paired with my overly-camp friend who made the lessons all about him and his mistakes (and he just wanted to get out of PE... which he didn't) so I (we) quit) but it seems a bit pointless to me if I could spend the same time doing some extra modules.

Is there any point in doing the FP3 module? I won't get a qualification, it'll be my 13th module. It just makes more sense to me to do the FP3 with OCR MEI (I'm aware of the difference in content) and do another 2 modules for an extra AS. I wouldn't do decision modules unless I were to go for the entire triple maths qualification - S4 + M4 or M4 + M5 would be the way to go for me!

You have Maths and FM which is enough. Very few Cambridge applicants have triple maths- you aren't at any disadvantage. Doing WJEC FP3 won't get you a qualification but it's by no means pointless. If you're going to get 5As at A-level, you have more than enough qualifications and you can afford to do stuff that interests you. I looked at the syllabus for OCR FP3 and it's less interesting (at least in my opinion) than WJEC FP3. OCR FP3 is covered in the first two weeks of Cambridge term.

I'm taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Yes, I enjoy them all! If I were to drop one though, it would be biology. I'm not so sure about what you said about STEP - from what I've read, it will take up quite alot of my time. :rolleyes:

If you're keen on maths, STEP is actually quite fun. It didn't take up too much of my time. I did 4AS in first year of sixth form and 3A2 and AS further maths in year 13. And I worked 2 evenings a week and on Saturdays. I was never overly stressed and managed to have a decent life. 5 would be doable. If you enjoy them, you might as well carry them on- at least until you get an offer.

My year 10 and 11 teacher was very annoying, and told the 12 of us doing higher tier to come back after school to learn the B-A* topics. I didn't go, and I self taught the topics. When we did coursework, we were given no direction (yes I know you're not supposed to get help, but when you're told to investigate a bunch of numbers, how far do you go?) so I tried reading the mark scheme myself, but it didn't make much sense to me. The coursework is why I didn't get an A*. I was very lazy, but still, I had no trouble in the exams. I' confident I can get 90% in most, if not all of the A level maths and further maths modules, even though that's a silly thing to say as I don't even know the content!

Thanks for your feedback. :smile:
Reply 36
Arrogant Git
The world needs more tap-dancing mathmos :smile:

i'm sure we must be quite a rare breed :yep:
Reply 37
Arrogant Git
If you're keen on maths, STEP is actually quite fun. It didn't take up too much of my time. I did 4AS in first year of sixth form and 3A2 and AS further maths in year 13.

Yeah, I agree, STEP questions are a lot of fun once you get 'into' them so to speak.

As for the A-levels (I meant to comment earlier but I forgot), doing five is not a problem at all, don't be worried; I know someone who did 9 AS-levels (took 8 of them to A2), got all As and will be doing maths at Trinity in October :smile: . I personally did 6 AS-levels (took 5 to A2) and had tons of free time - I attended lessons, occasionally did homework and played computer games for most of my time at home :p: .
Simba
Cool. I taught myself Japanese too in year 13, though I'm rather sure that it didn't add much to my application; the extra maths I was doing on the other hand did as it was (a lot) more relevant.

FP3 contains a lot of relevant material to university maths (well, it did on my board anyway!) M4/M5/S4 are good modules too (again, I haven't done OCR, but on Edexcel they were good). FP3 is certainly worth doing even if you don't do two others.

Did you get a high A* on the exams? Maybe your circumstances count as 'special', I'm not sure how it works exactly as far as that is concerned.

What level are you at in Japanese? It would be nice to have someone to learn with :smile: .

That's why I thought about doing an AS in additional further maths - it can only strengthen my application, which is probably necessary with my awful GCSE result. :rolleyes:

I only used OCR as an example, because I wasn't sure which boards (I think only 2) do additional further maths. Either would be fine, I just wouldn't do the decision modules. I'll definitely think about sitting FP3 if I don't do the AS AFM - I might even get a better score than in FP2, giving me a better overall. :biggrin:

Umm, about Japanese... a very low level indeed. :o: I've been 'learning' for two years really. I just had a 23 month hiatus! :p: I started ages ago with learning the script tables, and I know most of the hirigana characters, but I haven't really done anything with the katakana characters. I knew about 50 kanji, but I've forgotten most because I'm not very consistent. At the moment, I'm learning the use of who/what/where/when/why, the use of particles and stuff like that. I was reading a picture book in hirigana in my hour free in the library on Friday and my friend came over and said (very loudly) it was just a book on how to approach women (there was a stick man and a stick women). :shifty:

So yeah, I'm pretty confident on the characters, and can form basic sentences. I don't really have a goal, just progress progress progress! :smile:
Arrogant Git
Surely being able to speak a language is worth far more than any amount of letters on your UCAS form? :P But it looks pretty good on your CV too. I still think you should learn to tap dance. The world needs more tap-dancing mathmos :smile:

You have Maths and FM which is enough. Very few Cambridge applicants have triple maths- you aren't at any disadvantage. Doing WJEC FP3 won't get you a qualification but it's by no means pointless. If you're going to get 5As at A-level, you have more than enough qualifications and you can afford to do stuff that interests you. I looked at the syllabus for OCR FP3 and it's less interesting (at least in my opinion) than WJEC FP3. OCR FP3 is covered in the first two weeks of Cambridge term.

If you're keen on maths, STEP is actually quite fun. It didn't take up too much of my time. I did 4AS in first year of sixth form and 3A2 and AS further maths in year 13. And I worked 2 evenings a week and on Saturdays. I was never overly stressed and managed to have a decent life. 5 would be doable. If you enjoy them, you might as well carry them on- at least until you get an offer.

Whether or not I do AS AFM, I'm going to learn Japanese (and French and Spanish and Finnish) anyway! I'm determined to live at some point in all of these countries (except Finland, which I'd just like to visit regularly) and would love to learn the languages. Whether I go before applying to university is a different matter. :rolleyes: Tap dancing is not my thing! :o:

As I said in my above post, I'll think about doing the WJEC FP3 module if I don't do AS AFM. I didn't get this across, but I'm actually looking forward to STEP, but I'm really worried. I looked at a few questions and I was just completely blank, even though I don't know any of the content.

Latest

Trending

Trending