The Student Room Group

Help for January exams when they come round

Ok i messed up my AS exams a bit and i'm retaking around 6 modules in january + a possible 6 A level exams. I need A's in the majority of them but have never been good at choosing a suitable length to revise for especially with christmas and new year near those times. The exams are in chemistry, biology and maths but i think i can learn all my re-sit stuff pretty easily because I have already done them before. So how long before christmas do you think i should be revising for? I really need to do well this year so any help would be great :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Start revising now! Are you studying your A2 modules as well?
Reply 2
thats gonna be take of work to pull off....i usually start studying a month before the exam
I'd get started with revision around mid-November. Begin with the AS modules but really prioritise on getting the A2 modules you're sitting out of the way in January to make life a bit easier in June.
Reply 4
erm yeah i will be but i havn't started them yet, that starts on thursday
Reply 5
Well re-sits its possible to start already when you start school, cause at least then you know the material. I realise none of us do this, but its a possibility, and probably something you might want to consider seeing as you have so many resits. Also you'll need time with the A Level exams, as they all do get harder...much harder. So be sure to start pretty much as soon as possible.
Reply 6
i'm resitting about 6 modules but luckily I don't have any A2 exams then.

However, I do have two pretty lengthy coursework to be done before christmas and I;m going to need all the motivation I can get
What are you studying?
Reply 8
Start doing some light revision now to get back into the swing of things, and during end of oct/early nov do so some hardcore revision!
I set myself a timetable with a different subject each day and working 6-10 hours a day for A2 summer exams. I printed off about 3/4 papers for each module and found out the time for doing them and going over them, seeing where I went wrong, and if i got similar questions wrong, wrote down the syllabus and main points needed for that question. I also wrote out the whole syllabus for each subject and re-read these notes and re-wrote them several times. Very tedious, but it definitely works :smile:
So I just estimated the time I'd need to do all this and worked out when I'd need to start revising, having "break" days every so often.
Well, if you revised leading up to the Summer exams then I can't see it being too difficult. Just skim over what you already know and heavily revise what you feel you may have fell back on during the Summer. Also, for modules, you'll be looking at more specific sections of the course and will be able to study them in more depth. Just do it for an hour or two after school up until January.
Reply 11
Sorry...Alright...Well...
Start revising now! Are you studying your A2 modules as well?

Don't do this please, it's really not good for you. I done this last year and forgot everything by the time exams came. But i guess it does depend on who you are, it may be for some, but not for others. I'd suggest starting around mid december :yep: :smile: I have 7 exams in January 5 AS resits and 2 A2. I don't have to retake at least 2 of those AS, but I want a solid foundation just in case I mess up in year 13.
Reply 12
start now!! will make it easier doing it in little bits over a long time rather then cramming closer to the exam!!
Reply 13
lol i promise you i didn't revise and i had 5 retakes and i got all B's somehow.....>PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!
half term
Reply 15
King4eva
lol i promise you i didn't revise and i had 5 retakes and i got all B's somehow.....>PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah this as well, combined with hard work of course...:wink:
Reply 16
02mik_e
Yeah this as well, combined with hard work of course...:wink:

( max revision i have done is 2 weeks)
so nope no hard work...God just loves me
Reply 17
ok i think you should start revising around november....ive got 2 exams in january plus a stats retake and a bio retake so four altogether..but the problem is i forget stuff easily so im gonna have to change my revision technique.....so from novemeber, do your homework as usual after school and then the time you usually spend watching tv, chilling etc spend revising for january. and have a break in between - watch tv, chill on the computer :smile:
hope that helps
Reply 18
i am in the exact same boat as you!

didnt do well in AS so i have loads of retakes aswell :shifty:

start revising your AS stuff now...why wait? the longer you leave it...the more you'll forget it plus you don't wont it colliding with your A2 exams more than they allready will

hehe i just gave myself some advice as well as you xxx
Reply 19
Start the AS ones now and start a bit of A2 in November time and hardcore for both at the end of November. Also go over you new A2 notes every weekend.

Latest