The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you have intrest in this sort of thing I would do textiles or jewellery making. It is something a bit different so it will draw attention. You can talk about how you use it to relax and also how it helps with developing manual dexterity, which is very important in some areas of medicine.
Reply 21
I wouldn't do critical thinking. Eventhough people say it is easy, which it isnt really, its not going to really help you with yur application for medicine. I did it, well it was compulsory, i got A on module 1 and E on module 2 :o:o. In my opinion its an element of luck!! (well partly the problem i think is examiners dont have a rigid mark scheme, they have a guide line, so it depends on the examiner, whether he thinks its a good answer or not)
Reply 22
I'd do critical thinking.
Reply 23
Ed.
I'd do critical thinking.

:ditto:
annread
I wouldn't do critical thinking. Eventhough people say it is easy, which it isnt really, its not going to really help you with yur application for medicine. I did it, well it was compulsory, i got A on module 1 and E on module 2 :o:o. In my opinion its an element of luck!! (well partly the problem i think is examiners dont have a rigid mark scheme, they have a guide line, so it depends on the examiner, whether he thinks its a good answer or not)

I don't mean to be rude, but for the OPs sake it is not a matter of luck, and the mark scheme is relatively rigourous, but module 2, quite simply, is harder and tests many more skills than module 1.
Reply 25
i don't think the spanish enhancement course actually gives you an qualification, the critical thinking is the only one that gives an AS level, but apparenlty unis don't really look at it so guess that's not very important :s-smilie:
do a lot of uni's recognise critical thinking?
i mean i know an A would look good and you're probably not gona use it as one of your main three but when i applied they said they didn't count it.

also i'd do the jewellery or textiles one because i did a photography A level and enjoyed every minute of it! I loved being able to be creative and actually put my own ideas across instead of pre-formed answers needed in a lot of academic subjects.
Also as i want to go into journalism the photography kinda counted towards that incase i wanted to go into photojournalism.
hattilongsoks
do a lot of uni's recognise critical thinking?
i mean i know an A would look good and you're probably not gona use it as one of your main three but when i applied they said they didn't count it.

Well, my teacher said that Oxbridge like it, as it tests a lot of the same skills that they try to in their interviews -- but not of course as one of your main three A-Levels. So even universities that don't recognise it (i.e. count it towards the main entry requirements), may well be impressed by a top performance in it, which could even swing things your way if you're a borderline candidate. :smile:
Reply 28
Hey!

I don't really feel right posting in this thread becuase I am a hopeful Economist (H) but I did Critical Thinking at As level and got an A with about one weekend's worth of revision! (btw im not particularly intellgent) I found it interesting and not very hand but I am not sure how much it helps for your entrance tests (but it does help for the TSA- which none of you medics probably do?) :smile:
Reply 29
I' had a long thought on this topic too!

Although I haven't had a taste in CT yet but I think it will really help you with anything that requires (logical+critical) thinking.
I ahd a look at one of the past critical thinking papers(the multiple choices one) and compared it to some of the BMAT section A questions(the ones about reading a paragraph and ticking the best option) and I personally found the questions really similar.
As well as that, you also learn how to think about things in a new way and it's kind of like detective work (which is fun!) too!

So i think you should go for it, I know I am. =)
Reply 30
okay, i've taken all of your advices on board and have finally decided to put my name down for the CT course...because if it does turns out to be hard, i guess i can always drop it and go to textiles or something :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending