Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance for 17 and 18 year olds under £1000 ??

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, this is for people who are 17 and 18 whos insurance is under £1000, hopefully anyone can help, thanks x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine would have been if I didnt buy a different car.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Petrol powered pushbikes or mopheds would be a common way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Skateboard.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note; check out http://www.youngmarmalade.co.uk/home.php
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mines £400 something with elephant insurance. However, that is just added onto my Dad's car. I don't know if your own individual car would be more? I shopped around and elephant.co.uk were by far the cheapest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is that even possible for a male?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to put the policy under your name then I'd be amazed if you find anything of that level. When I looked into that I was 17 with an old banger and the cheapest I could find was £1400.

If you have someone else - such as a parent - with a decent history as far as claims/convictions go get them involved in it even if they aren't driving the car and it will bring the price down a bit - I got mine's down to about £600 off of a price comparison website of some sort, think it ended up being admiral but I would need to double check that if you wanted to know for sure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCooper)
    Right, this is for people who are 17 and 18 whos insurance is under £1000, hopefully anyone can help, thanks x

Its not possible in todays market, especially for a male. The insurance companies group you as a male (bad) and a new driver (bad) and an inexperienced driver (bad)

so you're buggered from all angles mate.
    welcome to the world of motoring =]
    • 14 followers

i had my '96 fiat brava (1.4 Sx - group 7 insurance) in my own name insured fully comp for £808 in the year i was learning. and its been falling ever since.

and now i'm 20 i've got insurance at £680 for a 1.6 ford focus 54 reg. so it is possible to get cheaper insurance, you just have to make a lot of phone calls and play 2 companies off one another.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rehehelly)
    Is that even possible for a male?
    If you are 18 with 1yr NCB in a small car, then yes. After a year of driving, I bought a car with well over twice the power of my first one but my insurance still went down by £700 after getting 1 year no claims.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    im on my mums incurance, and shes got an advance driving course certificate so its not too bad...

My real dad pays for it, and i dont want to know how much it is...
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    in your own name, for your first year of driving, then no chance.
    If your adding onto your parent's policy, or you have a year NCB, then yes it is possible.
    • 7 followers

Ok im not 17, 18, but best thing you can do is just ring around and shop online. Also although people say pass plus is a waste of money, I found it a great help to my first insurance - so maybe look into that as well!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im 18 and a guy and its 120 on my mums focus 1.6 automatic full comp
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drive something that isn't a 1.1 city car. That just screams boy racer accident to insurance companies.

Get something that insurance companies don't expect 17 year olds to drive. Old Diesel mid range cars is a good example. Pug XUD's can be insured for peanuts, i'm told.

And run on chip fat
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've got an old banger, just go for Third Party Fire and Theft, Mine was about 900 I think with Direct Line.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Drive something that isn't a 1.1 city car. That just screams boy racer accident to insurance companies.

Get something that insurance companies don't expect 17 year olds to drive. Old Diesel mid range cars is a good example.
    Pug XUD's can be insured for peanuts, i'm told.

And run on chip fat
    That only goes so far though.

The bottom line is, even if it is an old man's car, if it's got a decent amount of power behind it then it'll cost a fair bit to insure.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My first years premium was around £700.
    Triumph spitfire 1500 (1.5 litre Convertible)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    That only goes so far though.

The bottom line is, even if it is an old man's car, if it's got a decent amount of power behind it then it'll cost a fair bit to insure.
    You'd be suprised, with endsliegh, I got a quote for a 2000 corsa 1ltr 3 cyl and it came to around £1000, at the same time the guy on the phone done it for the car I decided to buy - a Citroen Xantia XUD 1.9 TurboD LX (running on chip fat too!) "That will be £1100 sir." It was an easy choice :yep: Still saving money as the corsa was worth twice as much an the Xant!

EDIT: though this was with 1 yrs NCB

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.