The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got a quote for me if i was 17 with a full license for a ford ka and for me fully comp on my dads would be £1080 a year fully comp, or £1400 TPF&T with just me on the policy =[
Reply 81
really not possible for own car and own policy
my 2000 fiesta 1.25 engine cost £1300...insurance TPFT + commuting was £1679 with norwich union...cheapest I could find for me anywhere...didnt want to risk my parents no claims...so this my best option
Reply 82
Mine (in November) was £1400 Fully Comp on a '07 Grande Punto.

Male, 18 - 0 Years no claims. :/
Reply 83
I'm 17, been drivin a couple of months now (passed 24th November)
£522 TPFT (£75 excess) in my own name.

Ahhh the joys of classic motoring!!
Reply 84
Calum_B
I'm 17, been drivin a couple of months now (passed 24th November)
£522 TPFT (£75 excess) in my own name.

Ahhh the joys of classic motoring!!

what car ? :O
Reply 85
Someone earlier mentioned adding yourself to your parents policy.
Is it possible to add yourself to you parents policy but on a different car? For your parents to be insured on the 18 year old's car to reduce premiums?

Sorry about the 'noob' question , but im new to the world of insurance!
Reply 86
I'm a named driver on my Dads old car and when I passed my test in September 2009, the cheapest I got was £1100 tpft. Now after more than a year of driving and no accidents it has came down £500.

I'm looking at buying an '08 or '58 Citroen C1 and I'm getting quotes of £800 a year for fully comp :biggrin:
my friend's first year insurance was £900 on a renault 5. lol. no idea who she is with though
Reply 88
Original post by CalB92
I'm a named driver on my Dads old car and when I passed my test in September 2009, the cheapest I got was £1100 tpft. Now after more than a year of driving and no accidents it has came down £500.

I'm looking at buying an '08 or '58 Citroen C1 and I'm getting quotes of £800 a year for fully comp :biggrin:

Ermmm.........HOW?

How old are you and what insurance company did you get that quote of £800?
Use comparethemarket.com
I got a quote for £850 on a 2006 1.2 polo from Admiral on there. Make sure you put on your parents too, but only as named drivers, and that'll bring it down.
Just about to renew my insurance and its dropped to £560 with my parents and sister on, again i used comparethemarket.com.
Reply 90
Original post by Zoof
Ermmm.........HOW?

How old are you and what insurance company did you get that quote of £800?

I'm 18 but I have had my license for over a year which makes a big difference.

I got the quote using comparethemarket.com and it was with Admiral, although that price does involve a £500 voluntary excess.

Also the car I want. the Citroen C1 is in the lowest possible insurance group so that helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you're looking to put the policy under your name then I'd be amazed if you find anything under a grand. Someone let me know if they manage it and how they did it because id love cheaper car insurance.
Reply 92
I'm actually trying to make a community just to discuss insurance for young people and ways that they can get it cheaper, check it out

www.1724insurance.com

It's early days yet but I though I had to do something since they wantde £4000 off me.
Reply 93
Original post by jack252
Its not possible in todays market, especially for a male. The insurance companies group you as a male (bad) and a new driver (bad) and an inexperienced driver (bad)

so you're buggered from all angles mate.
welcome to the world of motoring =]

Same thing aren't they?:biggrin:
Did you mean for one of them to be 'young driver'?:wink:
Which insurance provider did you use as third party on your parents 1.6 golf?
Original post by Cambridge12345
Which insurance provider did you use as third party on your parents 1.6 golf?

I hope you realise that the last post before yours was 4+ years ago.. :biggrin:
Reply 96
Sorry if i sound dumb after asking this question but I'm new to this insurance thing
do you pay yearly 1400 or monthly ?
Original post by Saban
Sorry if i sound dumb after asking this question but I'm new to this insurance thing
do you pay yearly 1400 or monthly ?

1400 would be yearly.
Id be worried if you were paying 1400 a month- that would wok out at 16800 a year.
I would avoid paying monthly though- it works out more expensive than all in one go.
not possible, it would be difficult to find insurance under 2000
Original post by Hassan2578
not possible, it would be difficult to find insurance under 2000

You can get insurance under £2000, it just takes a bit of work to try and get the price down.
My mates first insurance was around £1800. Would have been slightly cheaper if she had opted for paying upfront rather than annually.

Latest